Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > The imaginary 17" Macbook Pro spec

The imaginary 17" Macbook Pro spec
ajprice
Professional Poster
Aug 11, 2015, 04:00 AM

Lenovo have come up with something close. Lenovo Launches New P50 And P70 Mobile Workstations With First Mobile Xeon Chips

There are Xeon mobile chips now, and Lenovo have put them in a 17" laptop with an option for a 4k screen, 64GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro graphics. The Lenovo has expansion ports that a Mac would never have these days, because everything must be thin, and the Lenovo is 1.2" thick and weighs 7.6lb (a 2011 17" MBP was 1" and weighed 6.6 according to this https://support.apple.com/kb/sp621?locale=en_US, so with a bit of a diet and aluminium, the weight could come down from the Lenovo to make a 17" 4k Macbook Pro.

Who wants one?

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

P
Aug 11, 2015, 07:28 AM

Not enough people to warrant Apple making one, though that setup is at least differentiated enough from the 15" to make sense as a product. I think Apple is better buddies with AMD right now, but a mobile GPU based on Fury X (Fiji) would be fantastic.

(One of my pet peeves with Intel is that they refuse to allow ECC memory on regular desktop chips, except for certain duals for whatever reason. That should be standard at the RAM sizes that we have now - especially since DDR4 implements ECC in the transfer phase as a standard thing, but there is still no ECC on the chip itself - because Intel.)
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2015, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post

Who wants one?
Me!

I would replace my i7 17" MBP in a heartbeat, even though it is heavily upgraded; just to get more modern architecture, especially the ability to run Handoff well.

All Apple needs to do is make sure a 17" has plenty of ports and I would pay whatever price Apple asks. The less-is-more port mentality does NOT work for top end laptops. Half the time my MBP is plugged in to a large display and functioning as the secondary display in a high-end-graphics desktop-replacement box situation.

Probably buyers like me will be forced to 15" and I can live with 15" and Skylake. But please, please Apple give us ports.

-Allen

pigmode
Oct 15, 2015, 05:05 PM

Count me as one who would have liked a 17" mbp, right up to the point I ordered the new iMac 21.5r. Can't wait till they (wishfully) dazzle us with new factored mbp's.

pigmode
Nov 19, 2015, 10:53 AM

As an aside, I'm back on a notebook. Had the 21.5 retina in house for a few days and ended up sending it back, in exchange for a Mid 2015 w/Radeon R9 M370X. As glorious as it is, I never quite got used to the bigger 21.5 screen. That and I found I prefer and need the backlighted keyboards from the MBP's.

Since my brain injury I've never quite relearned how to type, to where I'm now a 50% hunt and peck typer (zeros are often mistyped as an o). Could have looked for a backlit aftermarket keyboard, but I'm 100% pleased with the new 15".

The last issue for me is I just don't want the added work of keeping two computers in sync, and am not ready to buy fully into iCloud--not for civilian use so to speak. The good news is you feel the added weight on the back of the 15" over the 13" but its handleable.

Forum Links
Forum Rules