Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > G5 Specs

G5 Specs
zachs
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2003, 02:49 AM

Read this

Whadda you think?

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2003, 02:50 AM

Ya I dunno about that.

I remember all the speed off's that Apple had with the g4 that always put it on top so I don't believe anything from them anyway.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

willed
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2003, 03:13 AM

The way I see it, they were demo-ing real-world apps there, and the PC just fell behind, couldn't handle it. I know many of them were 'altivec enhanced', but even so, twice as fast in those apps shows that things are pretty damn close.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jun 24, 2003, 04:43 AM

That guy's analysis is rather flawed... comparing single and dual in nonsensical ways, leaving out those tests in which the G5 bests the P4, etc.

tooki

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 24, 2003, 04:59 AM

This guy's just as biased as any mac-fanboy. Don't let the "I like macs but..." trow you off, his analysis is as non-sencial as the interfaces he sticks to his KDX-apps.

To be frank he has to put up with a lot of crap from mac zealots and I can understand his frustrations, but really...

Here's a few of his other soapbox-rants for consideration:

Apple macs
Being vegetarian
Against drag & drop (shows some of his off design-philosophies)

Of course, I can somewhat agree on his views against religion and astrology though...

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

nvaughan3
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2003, 10:43 AM

analysis is as non-sencial as the interfaces he sticks to his KDX-apps.

OK, do a point by point rebuttal. What exactly is he doing wrong? He took the time to break down, research, and analyze the data; a simple he sucks remark doesn't convince me.
"Americans love their country and fear their government. Liberals love their government and fear the people."

""Gun control is a band-aid, feeling good approach to the nation's crime problem. It is easier for politicians to ban something than it is to condemn a murderer to death or a robber to life in prison. In essence, 'gun control' is the coward's way out.""

hayesk
Jun 24, 2003, 06:59 PM

He's doing a number of things wrong:

He's blatantly dismissing the real-world application tests. Does he think those are "Mac opitmized" images or audio channels in the application demos.

I could be wrong, but don't SPEC benchmarks only test a single thread on the processor. Does it test multiprocessing and front side bus speeds? SPEC doesn't seem like an overall system test.

He assumes the Mac version of the gcc compiler is optimized as well. It may be altivec-enabled, but I don't think it's at the peak of optimization.

He only posted email from the zealots - Mac users have a bad name because of these people. I find it hard to believe he didn't get any mature, reasoned responses.

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2003, 07:04 PM

Actually hayesk, the GCC thing is a moot point as far as the g5 is concerned.

There IS no fully-fixed version of GCC for 64bit processors. Apparently the version they used on the g5 was truly beta, and messy, and patched up, so it just makes the reason for it not being taht great even moreso.
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

Forum Links
Forum Rules