Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Michael Jackson returns!

Michael Jackson returns!
- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Mar 5, 2009, 07:31 AM

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp...6qzF-c4J7CDXFQ

Michael Jackson on the comeback trail

LONDON (AFP) — Michael Jackson claimed the spotlight again Thursday even before an expected announcement that he is to stage his first concerts since his infamous child abuse trial four years ago.

Amid reports that he could make tens of millions of dollars from a string of London concerts this year, Jackson is to appear at the giant O2 Arena to announce his plans.
Promoters AEG Live have not given details of what will be revealed at the 1600 GMT news conference.

A source close to the promoters told AFP last month that 50-year-old Jackson was in talks to perform up to 30 London shows this year -- his first major tour for over a decade.
The Evening Standard reported Wednesday that up to 50 concerts could be scheduled at the 20,000-seat O2 Arena in June and July, in a deal with AEG worth more than 100 million pounds.

Some reports have suggested Jackson could be planning the comeback to help pay off multi-million dollar debts incurred since the collapse of the abuse trial against him in 2005.
If confirmed, the concerts would be a spectacular return for Jackson, who dominated the pop world with hit albums like "Thriller" and "Bad" in the 1980s but has virtually vanished from public view since his trial.

Jackson is reportedly close to completing his first new album since 2001, and has collaborated with the new stars dominating the music world such as Kanye West.
But he has been dogged by rumours of ill health, and bookmakers William Hill are already offering 5-1 odds that, should the London concerts go ahead, he will not turn up on the first night.

In November, Jackson was due to appear in court in London as part of a legal dispute but his lawyers said he was suffering from an unspecified medical condition and might not be able to attend. The dispute was settled out of court.

However, the Daily Mirror tabloid reported Thursday that Jackson had passed 50 health tests set by insurers to prove he was fit enough to perform.
The 02 Arena, which is in the giant former Millennium Dome in east London, played host to 21 sellout concerts by Prince in 2007.
Damn. World tour with Jackson 5 and I'm there

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Dork.
Professional Poster
Mar 5, 2009, 08:19 AM

Sponsored by Geritol?

Salty
Professional Poster
Mar 5, 2009, 11:50 AM

at 50 years old shouldn't he just move to Mexicand molest children on a ranch?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 5, 2009, 12:33 PM

Yeah, if you are going to molest children a ranch is generally a good place to do so.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Mar 5, 2009, 01:24 PM

He is a certified wacko in my book, but I like his music so this is an interesting development.
I'm just not sure why he is doing 50 shows in London instead of spreading them out and maybe coming to NY so I can go.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 5, 2009, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by SSharon View Post
I'm just not sure why he is doing 50 shows in London instead of spreading them out and maybe coming to NY so I can go.
I'm assuming it's so they can pocket as many ticket sales as possible in as short a time as possible and avoid the problem of people having the opportunity to read reviews of the show before they buy (is anyone really expecting these shows to be any good?).

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 5, 2009, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Salty View Post
at 50 years old shouldn't he just move to Mexicand molest children on a ranch?
He's rich. He'll move to Vatican city.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Mar 5, 2009, 02:51 PM

Official report is that it's only 10 shows, not 50.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 5, 2009, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by SSharon View Post
He is a certified wacko in my book, but I like his music so this is an interesting development.
Logistics.

Touring big is MASSIVELY expensive. Setting up once and leaving it there for two weeks, somewhat less so. No setup/teardown hands, much better deals on accomodation and the venue, no daily transport costs for either equipment or personnel (a tour like this having equipment to fill 20-50 semi trailers is no problem at all - imagine flying all that from London to Kuala Lumpur, even sans locally-rented gear!)…

Add to that the comfort (for ALL the crew) that there are very few unexpected hindrances (like weird power surges, inadequate or incompetent crew, bizarre union rituals - as a friend of mine found when his last tour hit the Madison Square Garden -, space problems, loading problems, weather messing up your travel plans, etc. etc. etc…).

This isn't some five-piece band with a transit van full of gear rocking it down the highway.

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Mar 5, 2009, 06:32 PM

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 5, 2009, 06:36 PM

has it really been four years??

that was quick.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 5, 2009, 06:44 PM

want to see some engrossing stuff? check this out-

http://www.juliensauctions.com/aucti...alog-list.html

seems he's auctioning off most of neverland. sucked me in for a good hour or so.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Mar 5, 2009, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by d4nth3m4n View Post

seems he's auctioning off most of neverland. sucked me in for a good hour or so.
Damn! That man bought a lot of useless s**t.

calverson
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2009, 05:06 AM

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 6, 2009, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by d4nth3m4n View Post

There's some *gorgeous* furniture in there.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2009, 09:12 AM

Impressive arcade collection. I'm a little saddened on the lack of Rickey Henderson memorabilia, but at least Walt Disney should be proud.

PB2K
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2009, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
Damn! That man bought a lot of useless s**t.
I agree, this is totally not what I expected from a famous artist like he was. It's all kitch like you find in a garagesale or secondhand shops. I expected real antique, Vermeer's, Mozarts etc. he could afford those back then.

Well maybe i wanted to expect that. I'm sure the art collections of Pif Daddy and Britney Spears are no better.

I know what I would spend my fortune on if I had a trillion dollars and it's not ugly stuff like this.
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

Atheist
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2009, 02:16 PM

I honestly believe that Michael Jackson has the emotional intellect of a 14 year old boy. That's the only way I can attempt to comprehend his bizarre life.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 8, 2009, 02:01 AM

I rather like his classics (PYT, Billie Jean, etc).

I also liked how during the announcement, he spoke in a normal tone of voice, rather than with the creepy eunuch voice he is accustomed to using.

It's just too bad the man has lost his mind.

Forum Links
Forum Rules