Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > mac opens in UNIX?

mac opens in UNIX?
brendy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2010, 02:38 PM

I think it's UNIX. Not too familiar with it.

I have G4 powerbook. 4 years old. Tiger.

I was surfing safari, when I got the wheel. Couldn't even click the desktop to activate the finder.
Did a hard reboot.

Now, the mac Icon comes up, then goes to a black screen, then to the MAC OSX start up window (bar doesn.t move.

The a black screen with
Darwin/BSD (new-host.home) (console)
login:

It just comes up with a line that ends with my user name and restarted then same thing happens.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Feb 12, 2010, 02:45 PM

Start your computer while holding down the Shift key. This will boot the computer in Safe Mode. It will take a while to boot because it will automatically verify and repair your filesystem. Then give it a normal reboot, hopefully your computer will work correctly.

After you've booted, I'd recommend reinstalling the latest 10.4.x Combo patch, this will reinstall key components to your OS and will often solve most problems.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

brendy  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2010, 02:56 PM

Thanks. Tried rebooting with the shift key, but goes to the same screen.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 12, 2010, 03:44 PM

Restart while holding command-S to go into single user mode - looks the same as what you're seeing now. When it's finished booting to the command prompt, type fsck -yf and press return. It will take a few minutes to finish attempting to repair the system, and at the end you'll either see Filesystem OK or Filesystem Modified. If it says modified, run the command again, until it says Filesystem OK. Then type exit to attempt to boot normally. If that doesn't work, the next step is probably to reinstall the OS.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Hal Itosis
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 12, 2010, 05:55 PM

This issue sounds familiar, but i'm not sure my memory is making the right association. Anyway... any chance you may have deleted some small files from the root level of your HD with names like etc, tmp and/or var? [this used to happen when users booted into OS9 and those items became visible.]

When you boot into single-user mode (as suggested by Big Mac), you could check by typing ls -l / and looking for entries like these:

lrwxr-xr-x 1 root admin 11 Mar 14 2009 etc -> private/etc
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root admin 11 Mar 14 2009 tmp -> private/tmp
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root admin 11 Mar 14 2009 var -> private/var
-HI-

dedalus
Forum Regular
Feb 12, 2010, 08:33 PM

Archive and Install, that’s what I say.

Forum Links
Forum Rules