Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Configure printers remotely?

Configure printers remotely?
kman42
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2004, 03:20 PM

Is there a way to add/configure printers remotely?

Long story, short. We just moved and we are staying with family who have a wireless network. I have my PowerBook and my G5 on the network, but the G5 doesn't have a monitor. My family has a PC portable and an HP printer, but they use the printer by carrying the laptop upstairs and plugging it in. I thought that I could just plug the printer into the G5 and use Printer Sharing so that everyone could print from anywhere in the house over the wireless network. Trouble is, I don't know if I can add/configure the printer with a remote login. I used to have my lexmark printer set up with printer sharing so I think Printer Sharing is already turned on on the G5, but I think I need to add the HP printer before it will work.

Any ideas?

kman

JLL
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2004, 03:30 PM

http://g5-ipnumber:631/

That will give you the CUPS interface where you can (among other things) add printers.
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

kman42  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2004, 03:55 PM

Oh, that's good. Well, it appears that I don't have printer sharing on because port 631 is closed. I do have port 22 open so I can ssh in. Is there a way to remotely open port 631 so I can access cups?

kman

romeosc
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2004, 11:28 PM

Originally posted by kman42:
Is there a way to add/configure printers remotely?

Long story, short. We just moved and we are staying with family who have a wireless network. I have my PowerBook and my G5 on the network, but the G5 doesn't have a monitor. My family has a PC portable and an HP printer, but they use the printer by carrying the laptop upstairs and plugging it in. I thought that I could just plug the printer into the G5 and use Printer Sharing so that everyone could print from anywhere in the house over the wireless network. Trouble is, I don't know if I can add/configure the printer with a remote login. I used to have my lexmark printer set up with printer sharing so I think Printer Sharing is already turned on on the G5, but I think I need to add the HP printer before it will work.

Any ideas?

kman

Why not just borrow the monitor from the family and return after setting up printer sharing?

kman42  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2004, 12:49 AM

Originally posted by romeosc:
Why not just borrow the monitor from the family and return after setting up printer sharing?
No monitor. They only have a laptop. The only available monitor is mine but it is buried in storage.

kman

JLL
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2004, 05:14 AM

Originally posted by kman42:
Oh, that's good. Well, it appears that I don't have printer sharing on because port 631 is closed. I do have port 22 open so I can ssh in. Is there a way to remotely open port 631 so I can access cups?

kman
Printer sharing and CUPS aren't related in that way. The CUPS page should be open. Check the firewall.
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

kman42  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2004, 11:52 AM

Well, I've never configured the firewall remotely, but I RTFM and tried this:

sudo ipfw add allow tcp from any to any 631 in

ipfw show lists the port as open now (I think), but I still can't get in through my web browser. Do I have to restart the firewall first?

kman

Forum Links
Forum Rules