Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > How do I get my IP?

How do I get my IP?
coopns
Forum Regular
Nov 9, 2005, 12:16 PM

New to a mac...How do I get my IP? I was trying to setup chicken of the sea.
Coop

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Nov 9, 2005, 12:17 PM

http://www.whatismyip.com/

(There are ways to see your IP from System Preferences, too, but if you're behind a router, it'll be your router IP.)
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 9, 2005, 12:22 PM

Many ways:

1. Go to the Apple menu -> About This Mac, click More Info, click Network, then click Built-In Ethernet or AirPort at the top (depending on which you're using).

2. System Preferences -> Network will show the IP address.

3. In the Terminal, typing either "ifconfig -a -u" or "system_profiler SPNetworkDataType" (without the quotes in each case) will show a bunch of information, including your IP address.

4. Typing "IP Address" into Google generally turns up a lot of sites that will show you what your IP address is just by visiting them. This one can be handy if you're behind a router or something that will have its own IP address separate from the one your Mac is displaying.

HTH.

edit: beaten by Stradlater. Oh well, my post is still more complete.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

coopns  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 9, 2005, 12:34 PM

I am in a school so I am behind a router/firewall...System Pref...I get 10.20. whatever.

At http://www.whatismyip.com/ that is my ip eh? 24.62.23.xx
Coop

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 9, 2005, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by coopns
I am in a school so I am behind a router/firewall...System Pref...I get 10.20. whatever.

At http://www.whatismyip.com/ that is my ip eh? 24.62.23.xx
That's your router's IP. Which effectively would be the IP you'd need to use to connect to your machine.

Of course, if the router isn't set up to forward the port that VNC will use to your computer, it won't work. If you don't own the router, this is a problem...

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

coopns  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 9, 2005, 12:48 PM

So if I am in school behind the router would I be able to connect to my brother's machine? I can't get access to the router.

Thanks.
Coop

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 9, 2005, 01:01 PM

If you're behind a router, you can still connect to other machines, just they can't connect to yours. So as long as your brother isn't also behind a router that he doesn't have access to, then you should be able to connect to him fine.

Of course, if he is behind a router that he owns, then he has full access to the settings and can easily set it up to forward the ports to his machine.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 9, 2005, 01:03 PM

edit: didn't this forum automatically detect and stop duplicate posts at one point?

coopns  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 9, 2005, 01:09 PM

Good. He has DSL, not sure if he has a router or not. Again, I just wanted to connect to his.

Thanks for the great info.
Coop

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Nov 9, 2005, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by coopns
New to a mac...How do I get my IP? I was trying to setup chicken of the sea.
You mean Chicken of the VNC? I didn't think that canned tuna needed an IP address to be eaten!

tooki

coopns  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 9, 2005, 02:52 PM

Whoops!
Coop

Forum Links
Forum Rules