Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > XP or Vista?

XP or Vista?
iomatic
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2006, 09:53 PM

Wife: iMac 24, stock, perhaps upgraded, when you guys chime in on the RAM issue...., Myself: MBP 15/2.33

Have a line in on Vista (no idea whether it's Beta, likely), or XPSP2— relative @ MS.

Recommendations? Which one to install on Parallels?

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2006, 10:22 PM

I'd go with XP:

1. Cheaper
2. Well supported
3. Less demanding on your system
4. Available now
5. A known entity (Vista is a complete unknown...wait for the reports from actual users. I predict many, many problems. And the answer will always be, "You need to buy a new computer.")

Chris

iomatic  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2006, 10:28 PM

I guess I could install Vista on an entirely separate VM, yes?

So, XP, main testing system (because that's all that matters), Vista for play (if you can call it that)?

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 8, 2006, 10:40 PM

With thanks to Illiad...
User Friendly for November 4, 2006

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

hldan
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2006, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by chabig View Post
I'd go with XP:

1. Cheaper
2. Well supported
3. Less demanding on your system
4. Available now
5. A known entity (Vista is a complete unknown...wait for the reports from actual users. I predict many, many problems. And the answer will always be, "You need to buy a new computer.")

Chris
Well supported yes but uprotected as well. XP is worse than a crap shoot when it comes to security. Even Microsoft said that it's only going to get worse. All the new iMacs with a dedicated GPU are Vista Premium Ready and it should be a little more secure since it's a new OS although problems will happen of course and security will be an issue as usual of course but why choose an aging OS over something new?
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Nov 13, 2006, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by iomatic View Post
Wife: iMac 24, stock, perhaps upgraded, when you guys chime in on the RAM issue...., Myself: MBP 15/2.33

Have a line in on Vista (no idea whether it's Beta, likely), or XPSP2— relative @ MS.

Recommendations? Which one to install on Parallels?

Couple of things:

1) You will not get the Aero user interface in Vista running it in Parallels. Parallels cannot emulate the video card of your system.

2) You cannot run DirectX or ActiveX-based games under Parallels.

I would recommend XP in Parallels and Vista in Boot Camp. That's how I have both by MBP and iMac set-up. Vista in Boot Camp is sweeeeeet and works like a charm.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 13, 2006, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by hldan View Post
Well supported yes but uprotected as well. XP is worse than a crap shoot when it comes to security. Even Microsoft said that it's only going to get worse. All the new iMacs with a dedicated GPU are Vista Premium Ready and it should be a little more secure since it's a new OS although problems will happen of course and security will be an issue as usual of course but why choose an aging OS over something new?
Actually, as long as the user installs all the updates and keeps a decent antivirus package running and up to date, security is not an issue. What Microsoft is really warning about is in the corporate world, computer users tend to be "less careful" in their habits because "it's not my computer to worry about." Bad habits can make the best security features moot.

I've been running XP on three laptops and two desktops for years and have yet to get a virus on any of them. Some adware and a bit of spyware on my son's desktop, yes, but he deals with that on a regular basis (because he still wants to visit his comic and gaming sites). Security issues? NONE.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Javizun
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 13, 2006, 03:09 PM

using macbook pro and vista so far the experience is something i did not expect.
no errors yet everything is extremely fast.
A.I.R (ART IS RESISTANCE)

iomatic  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2006, 04:07 AM

I saw an article somewhere about getting Boot Camp and Windows on an external drive. I wish there was an easier way than that process, though.

chefpastry
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 15, 2006, 10:38 AM

For Parallels, my vote goes to XP.
Mac Pro 3.2x8 - 48GB - EVGA GTX 680 - Apple Remote - Dell 3007WFP-HC
MacBook 2GHz - C2D - 8GB - GF 9400M
Mac mini 2.33GHz C2D - 4GB - GMA950 - 2 Drobos - SS4200 (unRAID)
iPhone 5 + iPhone 4 S⃣

©öñFü$íóÑ
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 15, 2006, 05:51 PM

(BootCamp + Vista or XP2) for me, a gamer. Naturally, I would prefer to run my PC games with ALL resources dedicated to the PC side.

Don't bully me, I got an Uzi... HOO-HAH!

Forum Links
Forum Rules