Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > 3D software recommendations please ??

3D software recommendations please ??
iluvmypowerbook
Forum Regular
Sep 29, 2004, 01:10 AM

Hey everyone

I do digital art using Corel Painter 8 and a Wacom tablet. I'm looking for a not too expensive piece of software that will let me create my figures in 3D (people, backgrounds etc). At the moment I am doing Manga and would love to produce them in 3D.

My current range of software I have right now is Painter 8, Photoshop CS, Macromedia Studio MX 2004 and of course my tablet.

I'd really appreciate some suggestions.

PowerBook Rev C 12 " Combo, 1.25 gig ram, OSX 10.3.5, Airport Express, iPod 3G, Fuji Finepix F700, Harmon Kardon Sound Sticks II.

gautch
Forum Regular
Sep 29, 2004, 11:29 AM

On a Mac Iv used Maya, Lightwave, Nendo, Miranda, Wings, and even 3D Studio Max (on PC).
But nothing beats Silo for $100 bucks!

Check it out. http://www.nevercenter.com/

Also any of the 3d apps out there will let you download a trial.. so go get em and try them all out till you find what your confortable with.

lord vader
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 5, 2004, 02:02 AM

have you looked at blender 3D? it is for Mac, PC, and Linux.

www.blender3d.com

iluvmypowerbook  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 5, 2004, 08:22 AM

Originally posted by lord vader:

www.blender3d.com

Hey that looks impressive. I'm always a little suspicious of freeware software. Do you have a lot of experience with it? How do you find it?
PowerBook Rev C 12 " Combo, 1.25 gig ram, OSX 10.3.5, Airport Express, iPod 3G, Fuji Finepix F700, Harmon Kardon Sound Sticks II.

gautch
Forum Regular
Oct 5, 2004, 11:11 AM

Originally posted by iluvmypowerbook:
Hey that looks impressive. I'm always a little suspicious of freeware software. Do you have a lot of experience with it? How do you find it?
I cant beileve i forgot to mention Blender! Blender is a great app.. One of the developers worked on Maya. Iv used blender to create icons/websites/charictures... ect.
Now can you see why i can't beileve i forgot to mention Blender?

Mac Guru
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2004, 11:13 PM

One of my favorites is Cinema 4D, which was recently updated to Release 9.

It's VERY powerful and not really hard to learn.

Mac Guru

Scoo
Forum Regular
Oct 11, 2004, 01:05 AM

Another vote here for Cinema 4D: Very fast renderer, excellent tool set and STABLE. Runs like a champ on my 15" AlBook. My wife uses Maya all day long where she works, has looked at a few things Cinema does, and stated, "I wish Maya had that" (interactive filleting on primatives comes to mind). Of course, Maya is a Heavy Weight 3D app and C4D is a Middle Weight, but the missus has complained of Maya's bugginess often enough to make me happy in the C4D club. The base package is under $700 I think... XL Bundle can be had for $300 if you are a student, an unbelievable deal.
The music is not in the
piano- Clement Mok

Mafia
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2004, 03:09 PM

Originally posted by lord vader:

www.blender3d.com
i've worked with blender for small projects and if u learn its tools its a very powerful app. try downloading and following the tutorials on blender's site.
http://www.mafia-designs.com

Forum Links
Forum Rules