Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Top 5: Modern Games

Top 5: Modern Games
Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Jul 5, 2011, 08:24 AM

I know we've had similar threads and conversations about this topic but I was reading through the "Top 100 Modern Games" on IGN earlier and got to thinking about modern gaming, many times when i make my "top 10 games" the majority end up being...Super Metroid, A Link to The Past, Mario 64, Goldeneye, and the like.

IGN seemed to use the current generation as the starting point for "modern" so i'm going to try to use that to confine my top 5

Thinking of my top 5, I was having a difficult time making it 5 and not 10 but i think everyone's top 10 will be eerily similar.

Top 5 - Modern Games

1. Fallout 3

Fallout makes #1 because of many reasons including enjoyment per dollar, never had I played a single player game so many hours. From the first time i exited the vault and looked upon the wasteland to assaulting downtown D.C Fallout 3 kept me hooked like nothing before. Although not a perfect game, the mix of RPG, shooter, open world was a perfect mix. This is one of those games I will be talking about in 10 years, and one i will "dust off" the old 360 to play. The environment, characters, weapons, and loot made Fallout 3 unforgettable.

2. Halo 3

Halo 3 defined multiplayer gaming (and my "contributions" to this forum) on the current generation of consoles. Sure i wanted to "finish the fight" and i spent hours chasing achievements but multiplayer is what is was all about. Halo 2 had taken away days of my life but when Halo 3 released it was the only game in my console for a long time. I'm not sure why the Halo series is so appealing to me, i think it takes multiplayer from a more "cartoon" perspective, the ability to win battles that you should lose, extradited jump mechanics, and "out there" weapon types. Halo 3 was the pinnacle of an online shooter (at the time) for me, and was the sole reason i RRoD two 360s.

3. Bioshock

I don't have much to say about Bioshock except Rapture. The world was like nothing I'd experienced, the history and characters of Rapture made it like no other FPS before. The gameplay was addictive, encountering big daddies early on was something to remember, but it was the world that stole the show. Rapture was dying, destroyed, and leaking but its history and origin story was everywhere. Never before in a FPS have I been so immersed in the story, it took some twists and turns (and a awful boss battle) but i'll never forget Rapture, i'll never forget Bioshock.

4. Assassins Creed II

Although I was a huge fan of the first Assassins Creed, ACII made the series a stunner. The first game was full of problems but also full of potential. I've always loved open world environments and ACII was full of that experience. What stands out about this game in my mind is the go anywhere style of the free running/climbing. The story was expansive and penetrated through history but even more interesting was the combat and assassinations. ACII took every good thing about the first game and made it better, and eliminated most of the repetitive activities. Brotherhood expanded the story and added another dimension to the series, but without ACII's polish, Assassins Creed would of been dead after the first story with Altair.

5. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Call of Duty has become stale as of late IMO but before COD4 and MW2, I never thought an online multiplayer experience could pull me from the grasp of Master Chief. The campaign was semi memorable, and achievement hunting with "veteran" difficulty made it last much longer than the short mission times but the game wouldn't make my top 100 without Multiplayer. Level design was fantastic for the shooter, and no game before had made me strive to gain the next experience level. Load-outs, gun customization, and emblems are all changes that will permeate through online FPS games for a long time to come.

Honorable Mention - Grand Theft Auto IV
( Last edited by Kevin Bogues; Jul 5, 2011 at 08:50 AM. )

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 5, 2011, 10:27 AM

Good god. I don't think I want to do this. Is it telling that almost no games sprang to mind when I read the title?

Kevin Bogues  (op)
Senior User
Jul 5, 2011, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Good god. I don't think I want to do this. Is it telling that almost no games sprang to mind when I read the title?
but you know you want to do it....

I understand, honestly I think only 1 of these titles would make my top 10 all time, maybe 2 in my top 25

Kevin Bogues  (op)
Senior User
Jul 5, 2011, 11:26 AM

Just FYI (since i know Dakar hates IGN)

IGN's Top 5 on the Modern Games List
1. Mass Effect 2
2. Bioshock
3. Red Dead Redemption
4. Super Mario Galaxy 2
5. Portal 2

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 5, 2011, 11:27 AM

This was my first thought, before reading: Halo 3 doesn't make the list, because the game was thoroughly outclassed within this gen. You couldn't pay me to play Halo 3 online now.

bungie does a lot details right, but in the grand scheme details can't absolve outdated gameplay.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 5, 2011, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin Bogues View Post

1. Mass Effect 2
2. Bioshock
3. Red Dead Redemption
4. Super Mario Galaxy 2
5. Portal 2
Rightfully so. I mean, the only IGN article to generate a thread is a ****ing list. Welcome to VH1 territory.

Also, I forgot the Wii existed.

Edit: How can a Wii game be on there if this list is titled "Modern Games"?

Kevin Bogues  (op)
Senior User
Jul 5, 2011, 11:28 AM

All the more reason i'm curious on your top 5...

Kevin Bogues  (op)
Senior User
Jul 5, 2011, 11:31 AM

Edit: How can a Wii game be on there is this list is titled "Modern Games"?
I'm actually shocked so many made the list,

i'm interested to see what our Wii/PS3 and multi platform folk have to say, it will be interesting to see which titles make the lists .

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jul 5, 2011, 12:09 PM

Could we wait 8 months for this top 5?

I'm not sure I'd call HALO 3 a modern game anymore, no matter how much I like it. Of course I'm probably just as bad putting HALO Reach, which the MP hasn't been updated much from HALO 3.

Best 5 Modern Games:

- Assassin's Creed Brotherhood - open world, good character movement, good multiplayer
- Mass Effect 2
- Modern Warfare 2 - good multiplayer
- Bioshock (1 or 2?) - I think Kevin said it all.
- HALO Reach - good multiplayer and I liked the story of the single campaign.
- Saint's Row 2 - open world, variety of activities, customization of cars and character

Damn, I have six, and I'm still not sure of the order, either.

I'd give an honourable mention to Homefront (for showing most promise for a new franchise). Maybe Homefront 2 will make the list.
( Last edited by Leonard; Jul 5, 2011 at 02:26 PM. )
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

is not
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 5, 2011, 01:05 PM

1. Mass Effect 2
2. Bioshock
3. Red Dead Redemption
4. Super Mario Galaxy 2
5. Portal 2
How manages Super Mario to be on the top 5 without a gun?

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2011, 02:49 PM

No Metal Gear Solid 4, even on the list?

Due to how buggy as shit Fallout 3 was, not sure I would list it up there, personally. I did enjoy it a lot, when it would run.

I'm with Leonard on Saint's Row 2. I loved that game so much more than GTA4.

My personal list would be this order. (Obviously I like single player story games more than MP).

1) Uncharted 2 - My personal favorite game this generation. Story, Characters, Atmosphere, Action are all done extremely well.
2) Mass Effect 2 - My close second favorite. Same features as above.
3) Bioshock - Fantastic story and unique atmosphere. Very creative and engaging you into it's world.
4) Red Dead Redemption - Open world. Fantastic 'Western' atmosphere, great multiplayer and good customization.
5) Batman: Arkham Asylum - A perfectly representation of The Animated Series in a game. (Characters, voice, and atmosphere). The challenges are upgrade system are done well.

Kevin Bogues  (op)
Senior User
Jul 5, 2011, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
4) Red Dead Redemption - Open world. Fantastic 'Western' atmosphere, great multiplayer and good customization.
Red Dead Redemption almost replaced GTA IV as my honorable mention

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 5, 2011, 03:15 PM

GTA IV doesn't deserve jack. It innovated as much as Halo this gen, which is to say very little. Ignoring that, the cars are nigh undrivable, in a game centered around driving.

Kevin Bogues  (op)
Senior User
Jul 5, 2011, 03:20 PM

GTA IV doesn't deserve jack. It innovated as much as Halo this gen, which is to say very little. Ignoring that, the cars are nigh undrivable, in a game centered around driving.
Top 5: Innovative Modern Games?

I understand your point, and agree completely, but that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy GTA IV, in fact i thought it was fantastic (What GTA III wanted to be IMO)

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 5, 2011, 03:22 PM

I'm going to include a PC game as well, but it was released in 2007 so I believe that counts as modern.

From the bottom, including estimates on total play time.

5 - Nazi Zombies: I know I know, it's not even a standalone game and it was bundled on an entirely mediocre game (WaW) and another arguably mediocre game (Black Ops) but that simply does not matter. Nazi Zombies is a brilliant mini-game that sticks right with L4D on the 'important teamwork' aspect, and has such a sharp difficulty curve that there is no way to ever feel satisfied in a round without wanting to 'do slightly better next time.' play time: ~300 hours

4 - STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl: A true gem made deep in eastern Europe with a very unique approach to an open-world FPS with RPG elements. A true member of the survival horror genre, where monsters don't fight for screentime, and most of the time you are sitting balls-deep in some of the thickest, most well-crafted atmosphere to ever grace a video game. Graphics were outdated at release, but the sheer perfection of the world they crafted deserves cred. play time: beaten without cheats 7 times

3 - BioShock: As others seem to also agree, it was an amazing experience in one of the most unique settings imaginable. The graphics were jaw-dropping, the story was artfully crafted, the gameplay was well-paced, and the atmosphere was thicker than pea-soup. The only gripes I could possibly think of is that the controls did not translate well to consoles (switching between plasmids and weapons) and the game was hyped to be a very open-ended world with many moral choices...whereas it was more or less a very linear game with two choices. play time: beaten front to back 3 times

2 - The Orange Box: 5 games for the price of one, and one of those games just happened to be Portal. Half-Life 2 and it's two chapters was enough to warrant 60 dollars. HL2 is a brilliant FPS that stayed strong in the 'old ways,' meaning enough weapons to fill a 747, a real health meter, and no tiresome cutscenes. A true masterpiece of the run-n-gun genre. There isn;t anything to say about Portal that hasn't been beaten to death in the last 5 years, for all intents and purposes, a perfect game. Then, just in case you were bored, they included TF2...something I never got into but apparently is an amazing, fast-paced, well-balanced class-based multiplayer game. The best value in gaming. play time: HL2-10 times, Episodes one and two-4 apiece, Portal-many, many times

1 - Fallout 3: Fallout 3 is a game I will play years from now, and still remember the first time I emerged into the blinding wasteland with a world of possibilities in front of me. In a sea of games that tout open-world, free-roaming, and moral choices, Fallout 3 summarily cock-slaps all others and includes moral choices that are actually interesting....instead of the usual choice of being Mother Teresa or Satan himself. Even after beating the game 3 times I STILL found huge areas I had never explored, met people I had never talked to, and encountered random events that I had not even known existed. The setting of the DC ruins is simply outstanding. Example: The first time I needed to really get somewhere I was lead into the underground metro tunnels. After being lost and continually getting more and more claustrophobic I eventually found an exit. Upon reaching the surface I was greeted with a group of hostile super mutants and immediately had to fight for my life. With life, ammo, and other resources low I won the battle, and then realized I was now on the ruined National Mall, with the Washington Monument and Capital building laid out before me. No game I have ever played has the ability to lull you into monotony and then blow your f**king mind the way F3 does. Yes, it was buggy. Yes, the gambryo engine was outdated in Oblivion. But you know what? It still does not matter. play time: 700+ hours

Kevin Bogues  (op)
Senior User
Jul 5, 2011, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
2 - The Orange Box: 5 games for the price of one, and one of those games just happened to be Portal. Half-Life 2 and it's two chapters was enough to warrant 60 dollars. HL2 is a brilliant FPS that stayed strong in the 'old ways,' meaning enough weapons to fill a 747, a real health meter, and no tiresome cutscenes. A true masterpiece of the run-n-gun genre. There isn;t anything to say about Portal that hasn't been beaten to death in the last 5 years, for all intents and purposes, a perfect game. Then, just in case you were bored, they included TF2...something I never got into but apparently is an amazing, fast-paced, well-balanced class-based multiplayer game. The best value in gaming. play time: HL2-10 times, Episodes one and two-4 apiece, Portal-many, many times
I fought with myself long and hard about including The Orange Box, Portal itself would make my top 10 and i can't disagree it was some of the best $60 i ever spent on gaming. I had played HL2 a few times before, and the inclusion of EP1/2 was great but it still felt like a re-package.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 5, 2011, 03:44 PM

Top 5: Innovative Modern Games?

I understand your point, and agree completely, but that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy GTA IV, in fact i thought it was fantastic (What GTA III wanted to be IMO)
I would likely rank GTA IV fourth in my favorite GTAs. Aside from the amazing visuals, the only real achievement was compressed scale NYC.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 5, 2011, 03:45 PM

Orange Box brought proper HL2 to consoles. They made an original Xbox port, but the graphics were dumbed waaaay down and the frame-rate still jittered around like it had epilepsy.

If Bungie can regurgitate content it made a decade ago and charge 60 dollars for it then the Orange Box is the friggin messiah.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 5, 2011, 03:47 PM

I would likely rank GTA IV fourth in my favorite GTAs. Aside from the amazing visuals, the only real achievement was compressed scale NYC.
Funny, because I loved the driving in IV, and even got most of the achievements for the online race games, including come in first without damaging your car at all, which isn't easy.

Of course I love racing sims, so the more realistic driving physics (like cars actually having weight to them) really appealed to me.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 5, 2011, 03:55 PM

Funny, because I loved the driving in IV, and even got most of the achievements for the online race games, including come in first without damaging your car at all, which isn't easy.

Of course I love racing sims, so the more realistic driving physics (like cars actually having weight to them) really appealed to me.
I found their inability to turn even at slower speeds completely unappealing, if not unrealistic. I can understand having to take wide-turns because of speed. The cars I recall simply didn't turn after a few degrees. On the flip-side, almost any use of the handbrake caused immediate spin-out. And since acceleration is practically a binary proposition, I'm driving like a 15 year-old with a learners permit, flooring it and slamming on the brakes everywhere I go.

Of course, that ignores the concept that making GTA IV "sim-like" driving in a series that has been less than realistic, and requires so much of it completely stupid.

(I found little difference between the dump trucks and sedans. They both handled the same, the only difference was the trucks were slow, so they were easier to steer. That's retarded)

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 5, 2011, 05:38 PM

Meh, I didn't have much difficulty with the driving, but I agree, in a series where the driving is so pivotal, making it more difficult kind of seems counter-productive to gameplay.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 6, 2011, 10:21 AM

Meh, I didn't have much difficulty with the driving,
Right, but you're pro, eh?
but I agree, in a series where the driving is so pivotal, making it more difficult kind of seems counter-productive to gameplay.
That's what I'm saying.

If anyone here has played PGR4, while arcadey, it still requires a good amount of skill. That was what I had been expecting for GTA. (Certainly LA Noire seems closer to this expectation).

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2011, 10:57 AM

1. Angry Birds
2. Angry Birds Seasons
3. Angry Birds Rio
4. Forza Motorsport 3
5. Little Big Planet 2

Do I win?

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 6, 2011, 10:59 AM

Where's Farmville?

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2011, 01:09 PM

Where's "We Rule"? I rule quite the kingdom on my iPad.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Kevin Bogues  (op)
Senior User
Jul 9, 2011, 06:45 PM

Dakar, stogie, or KCros...
Will your top 5 ever grace this thread?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 9, 2011, 07:22 PM

Nope, I object in principle. I also think its not that easy, compared os say the PS2 era. Though If you made me pick a Top 5 for that, I'd be left struggling… it was so long ago.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 11, 2011, 10:39 PM

Dakar: how is Skyward Sword looking to you?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 12, 2011, 12:24 AM

Weird thread to ask that.

To answer your question, it looks irrelevant to me.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 12, 2011, 01:01 AM

Why weird? I get it that the Wii is not a modern system, but since "modern" is not clearly defined AFAIK it can mean recent as well.

I guess you're not a big Zelda fan?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 12, 2011, 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Why weird?
I don't think anyone mentioned it, so it was kinda random. Seems like the kinda thing that usually gets brought up in the discussion thread (If someone doesn't deem to just start a thread for the game anyway).

I guess you're not a big Zelda fan?
No, actually I quite love Zelda. I just hate the Wii much, much more.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 12, 2011, 01:37 AM

No, actually I quite love Zelda. I just hate the Wii much, much more.

Why's that? Not a fan of the Wiimote?

I think the Wiimote Plus controls for Skyward look pretty cool, and innovative for this sort of game in making your input technique a part of the game. I don't know how this will translate to playing hours and hours of the game, but I'm looking forward to playing this game. I think the Zeldas are a game franchise where the better graphics you can find on another platform are not really game changers... That is, people play the Zelda games for the puzzles, the exploration, quality of the dungeons. Nintendo could probably just recycle the same gaming engine and crank out more frequent Zelda games and most fans probably would be fine with that. I don't know why they go through so much trouble and money reinventing the game every x years.

I'm also interested in seeing if the next Zelda game will drop this and go back to the controls on the Wii U, which I'm assuming are similar to the Nintendo 3DS controls?

badidea
Professional Poster
Jul 12, 2011, 08:03 AM

1. Uncharted 2
2. Uncharted
3. GTA IV
4. Red Dead Redemption
5. Saboteur

(in no particular order)

...and in FallOut3 I made it out of the vault a long long time ago and stopped playing the game...I just don't know why!?! I really should start playing again before I buy anything else...like Assassins Creed...

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 12, 2011, 09:01 AM

Why's that? Not a fan of the Wiimote?
Not a fan of motion control in general.

Mike McMurphy
Banned
Jul 18, 2011, 10:52 AM

I have always been a sucker for online games and even though I expect to be flamed for my choice I must say that World of Warcraft is my favorite.

Though Blizzard is not a "kind" to Mac users as it is to those using PC's I have to say that I have had more fun playing WoW than any other game that I can think of.

Maybe its because I enjoy working with my guild mates, helping them out with quests and going to raids.

Anyway that's my 2 cents.

Mike

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 19, 2011, 10:56 AM

Wow...

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 19, 2011, 11:01 AM

Eh?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 19, 2011, 11:15 AM

Forthcoming.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 19, 2011, 11:28 AM

I smell a text bomb incoming.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 19, 2011, 04:15 PM

I'm gonna go it alone and say the best things happening in gaming are by independent developers. Yeah, I enjoyed Portal 2 and Half-Life 2 and BioShock, and I tell other people to play them. But here are the real gems, in no particular order:

Limbo
Braid
Amnesia: the Dark Descent
World of Goo

There's nothing "modern" about these games, except they rely on modern distribution systems for their success.

I didn't even play Limbo, I just watched a Let's Play on YouTube and was gripped by the mood and design.

"Modern gaming" seems to be a glut of samey-shooters, inventory systems, infinite hallways, and sandbox gameplay. Maybe I'm just burnt-out on the AAA gaming industry.

Don't get me wrong: I love the infinite hallways of Portal 2 and Half-Life 2, because it keeps the game pacing on track and doesn't irritate me by constantly re-visiting the same areas over and over agains (Borderlands, cough).

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jul 19, 2011, 05:28 PM

I don't like FPS games just because I'm crap at them. I always have been since I gave Doom a go, same with Duke Nukem, same with Quake... I've tried, I really have, but I just can't do them. So now I don't bother with them, and thats fine by me.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 19, 2011, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
I don't like FPS games just because I'm crap at them. I always have been since I gave Doom a go, same with Duke Nukem, same with Quake... I've tried, I really have, but I just can't do them. So now I don't bother with them, and thats fine by me.
It's the same for me and fighting games. I lack both the coordination and the memory.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 19, 2011, 07:42 PM

I'm garbage at fighting games.

I think it all started when I was little. I didn't own any game systems, so the only time I got to play Killer Instinct or Mortal Kombat was at a friends house. Since they got to play the damn things all the time I'd usually die to some ridiculous combo within seconds of the match beginning.

The only fighting game I've ever really liked was the Dead or Alive series.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 19, 2011, 09:14 PM

I'm assuming that this thread is totally throwing objectivity out the window, but I'm going to try to incorporate as much as possible, despite my PS3 leanings.

1. Uncharted 2

This is the most disappointing part of Sony's colossal screw-ups in this generation: approximately 60% (just throwing a figure out there) of the gaming public missed out on games like Infamous 1 and 2, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet 1 and 2, and Metal Gear Solid 4 because Sony couldn't make the PS3 affordable or PSN comparable to XBL. Uncharted 2 is the biggest casualty, and that's a crying shame.

This game is the best single-player experience I've encountered. The voice acting is top-notch, the story is engaging, the action spectacular, and the characters will absolutely suck you in. The combat is pretty darn good as well. There are a few too many falling-off-ledge moments, but no modern game's single-player has engrossed me like Uncharted 2. The multiplayer was often overlooked, but Plunder mode had me and my friends hooked for months.

2. Red Dead Redemption

There were quite a few glitches, and the multiplayer sucked, but RDR created an awesome world to explore, shoot up, or save. I'm a bit biased since I grew up watching westerns, but RDR was like a dream come true for me. The missions got repetitive, but the main story isn't where I spent the majority of my time anyways.

3. Batman: Arkham Asylum

I remember when Arkham Asylum was first showed off, not many game journalists thought it would be anywhere near as good as it eventually was. Incredible game.

4. Infamous

I haven't finished Infamous 2 yet, so I'm going to have to list the first game as my third-favorite (although the powers and setting are much better in Infamous 2). This game made me feel like a superhero. Having grown up on DC comics, it brought back a lot of memories.

The decision for this spot really came down to which title I liked better -- Infamous or Assassin's Creed II. Both games are heavy on climbing mechanics, but differ greatly from there. ACII emphasized stealth, and Infamous emphasized blowing the crap out of everything with Palpatine-like lightning powers. My personal preference was the superpowers.

Jumping from a rooftop, hovering down, slamming to the ground, then blasting 8 cars into a line of baddies (or civilians, if that's your thing) was sheer joy.

5. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

I never finished the single-player (MW1's was better), but I don't care. This is my favorite multiplayer game of this generation. I was never as good as the rest of you guys, but it didn't impede on my fun.

The franchise has suffered a lot of grief because of Activision's bad deeds, but MW1 and MW2 were great games, even if it did become popular to hate the franchise as hundreds of thousands of people played online simultaneously.

- - -

Notables (and why they're not on my list):

Mass Effect 2

The reason it's not on my list is simple: I haven't played it yet (at least not more than the first 45 minutes or so). I tried playing the first Mass Effect, but hated the combat so badly that I couldn't look past it enough to enjoy the engrossing world and story. I'll play ME2, but not yet.

Fallout 3

I quit playing the game for other reasons, but I also got bored of the world. The atmosphere was great, and the sense of desolation was fully realized. Unfortunately, once that wonder wore off, I got very, very bored. I'm not saying it wasn't worth the rave reviews, but my personal preferences drove me away, I suppose.

Battlefield: Bad Company 2

As much as I enjoy the multiplayer, I still haven't spent 1/20 the time I spent on Black Ops. Great game, but not anywhere near the best of this gen.

Bioshock

Still haven't played it. Sitting in my drawer.

Metal Gear Solid

Great all-around, but is still very much a MGS game. Take that as you will. I liked it, but I'm not revisiting it (no trophies, too many other games to play).

- - -

The "meh" category:

Halo Reach

Just more Halo. The series had finally taken a turn back up, but from Halo:CE to Halo:ODST, I thought the series was growing long in the tooth. Reach was good, but I can see why Bungie was ready to move on. They needed a fresh start.

Gears of War / GoW 2

Overrated. Pretty good, but nowhere near great.

Any Wii game

Nintendo's lazy, non-HD crap doesn't belong in a "modern game" thread. I know this has already been covered in the thread, so I won't bead the dead horse any longer.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 20, 2011, 10:19 AM

I picked up Demon's Souls for $17 yesterday. I won't get to it for another week (or however longer it takes me to get through Infamous 2), but if the hype is to be believed, it's a top-5 game for PS3, if not for this current generation.

It's take on "multiplayer" is absolutely unique. Here's a video (sorry, Dakar -- it's IGN) to check out when you have a few minutes to spare.

Forum Links
Forum Rules