Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > sleep is boring

sleep is boring
chip-douglas
Banned
Oct 23, 2002, 05:19 AM

How do you change your sleep schedule effectively?

I just quit my job 2 weeks ago. I worked the graveyard shift for over 6 months and go to school full time. While I was working, it was fine and I would take naps for 3-4 hours a day.

Now I just cannot sleep until I'm so tired I can barely move. But I sleep at random times and it's not really restful. I hardly ever remember having any dreams anymore. I feel like Edward Norton in the beginning of Fight Club (you know that scene where he's laying on the couch with the remote in hand watching tv and drooling.) I definately am an insomniac.

I'm going to the doctor tomorrow to see what he suggests but I'm not too optimistic he'll be able to help. I'm also going to cancel my cable tomorrow so I can't veg out on the couch. I exercise a lot and go outdoors all the time, but this has to change somehow. Anyone else ever have this problem and know any solutions? I'd be happy if I could get 5 hours of sleep before the sun comes up.

I've tried nyquil, it just gave me a happy buzz. Staying up for 2 days and sleeping the next night just makes me not tired for the next day and half without fixing my "day/night should be asleep now" pattern and I was a zombie that 2nd day of staying up. Any suggestions besides beating the crap out of myself as my imaginary friend or blowing up my apartment would be greatly appreciated.

Siddhartha
Forum Regular
Oct 23, 2002, 05:39 AM

I was in your situation for a while. Meletonin helped get me back on a normal sleeping pattern.

And I made sure I would masturbate before hitting the hay. It�s easier to fall asleep without thinking about chicks.
Yeah, Jesus saves! Gretzky scores! The workers slave. The rich get more.

ringo
Professional Poster
Oct 23, 2002, 07:18 AM

Originally posted by chip-douglas:
I hardly ever remember having any dreams anymore.
Same thing happened to me when I stopped working the graveyard shift. Even now, years later, I only remember my dreams if I sleep for a really long time or I wake up in the middle of one.

When it's time to sleep, make sure that you're in a completely dark room (pitch black). Also, try not to think about anything. If you're reviewing the day or thinking about something else, your body isn't goint to let you sleep. Try having a few beers before you lie down for the night, it might help you relax,

You've tricked your body and mind into thinking that it should stay up as long as there's something it needs to do. It's going to take some time (and practice) to trick it back into a more regular sleep pattern.

Mulattabianca
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 23, 2002, 07:30 AM

i used to manage to change my sleep/wake rhythm easier before.. now it's quite sick..
::1 ::2 ::3 ::

andi*pandi
Oct 23, 2002, 04:12 PM

I used to work part time 3rd shift... so I'd be up at night for 2 days, sleep at night 2 days, up at night 3 days... so on. It got pretty annoying, but I think that way my body never got used to the daytime sleeping and still preferred the night.

Can you still nap during the day?

Of course I'm a new parent, so although I have little pity for the sleep deprived... it sounds like you're getting medical problems and need sleep soon!!

Demonhood
Administrator
Oct 23, 2002, 04:29 PM

i'm going to agree with Siddhartha here and recommend melatonin. you might build a resistance to it eventually, but while it works it should make you tired. and, as an added bonus, it might make your dreams extra vivid.

just follow the cautions on the back. don't take more than the recommended dosage (i've taken twice what the bottle tells me to), and don't take it with alcohol or some other sleep aide. don't want you passing out on the keyboard and having your drool short circuit everything. not pretty.

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 23, 2002, 05:09 PM

I got you covered

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Oct 23, 2002, 05:32 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; May 13, 2004 at 02:50 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules