Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Between the 2 15" models I picked...

Between the 2 15" models I picked...
RodriCO2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 18, 2003, 10:44 PM

So, I know I am going to buy a 15 inch model, no question about that, but I was looking at the pricing of the 2 modles and I was a bit torn because as much as I want the SuperDrive 15 inch it's 500 more and well It's a lot, (for me at least) so... I was building a sale @ Apple Store for Education and I came across the BTO options page and I noticed I COULD downgrade a few things on the PB....

As I look at my computer usage I barely use more than 30GB of my HD so I can completely live with the 60 GB instead of the 80 (-$68)... Then, I realize that since I have had my SuperDrive iMac I have NEVER burned a DVD.... I can definetly live without the SuperDrive, plus I would rather have a faster CD-R drive... (-$180)....

Brings my total to $2,051 edu. pricing plus the iPod and printer deal..... Thats a $ 252 difference between the 1799 1Ghz model, and, I get a 1.25 Ghz, Backlit KB, Airport Extreme and double the RAM....

I think thats awesome that we can do that, Maybe I am loser and this isnt so great but I think its worth it, for what I am going to use it for.....

I am so excited..... I need to order ASAP...
Its not the fact that life is fact, but that life itself is a fact of the unknown....

ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2003, 12:02 AM

Remember, there is a longer wait time for BTO.

JPMaximilian
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2003, 12:11 AM

Thats a good idea, I think I might try to do that as well. I heard you can't return custom configured machines? But I highly doubt I'll want to return a new 15" anyway.

PowerMatt
Senior User
Sep 19, 2003, 12:11 AM

I did the same thing. When you add the AE card, backlit keyboard, and 512MB ram to the 1.0GHz PB, the dollar difference is just about nil. I can't wait for mine to get here.
It I want your opinion, I'll beat it out of you.

RodriCO2000  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 19, 2003, 12:33 AM

It all comes down to the Back-Lit KB and the 250 Mhz increase in speed.....

Is it really worth the extra hassle (BTO, Tax, Shipping) just to get an extra 250Mhz and a Light-up KB or should I just go with my tendency to love instant gratification and go to the Apple Store, get my PB the same day and not pay Sales Tax and Shipping.

I am in college, My machine will get about the average's person use out of it, (e-mail, net, Office, Games, note-taking, iTunes/iPod use) Would I benefit much or even notice the extra 250Mhz???? Its not like I render Photoshop files all day so I probabbly wouldnt even know the difference...

Decisions Decisions.......
Its not the fact that life is fact, but that life itself is a fact of the unknown....

pbjudge
Forum Regular
Sep 19, 2003, 12:52 AM

I just ordered the 1.25 15". I thought the 25% speed increase would be beneficial.

And I absolutely need the Superdrive. My iTunes collection stands at 4500 songs now and I want to back up it up, not to mention my iPhoto collection is so large that DVD storage looks to be a must. CD-ROM's are just too small.

- PJ
24"2.33Ghz iMac, 500G Hdisk, running OS 10.5; iPhone 3G 16G

Forum Links
Forum Rules