Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > IP printing over VPN?

IP printing over VPN?
Thorzdad
Aug 23, 2004, 11:04 PM

Posting this here because...well...it's on a network, more or less...

I know about IP printing from my Mac. I was under the impression that this worked on networks that you are physically connected to.
Can I also print to a postscript color printer on my office's network when connected via VPN from home?
I would assume I need to have the appropriate drivers installed on my home Mac but, after that, do I just set things up according to the IP Printing instructions?

Easily confused,
JimC

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2004, 03:15 AM

at least judging from the single vpn i set up and used at my former employer (pptp through windows server 2003), when your computer is connected it is a fully functional network client. you have a ip in the same range as the office machines (and printer) so you should be able to print to your heart's content.

Thorzdad  (op)
Aug 24, 2004, 08:36 AM

Thanks!
I'll give it a try and see what happens.

larkost
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2004, 10:41 AM

minor note: most VPN's choose to not enable broadcast traffic in an attempt to cut out noise on the line. This means that most of the auto-discovery methods will not work (AppleTalk, Windows Neighborhood, etc). If you type the IP address in yourself things should go fine.

Thorzdad  (op)
Aug 24, 2004, 04:57 PM

So, I set it up and...
Nothing. Print Monitor sez "Job Stopped"...whatever that means.

Here's the setup I used Printer Setup...
� IP Printiing
� Printer Type: Internet Printing Protocol
� Printer Address: 198.xxx.x.xx
� Queue Name: My IT person said to put the print server name here. (COMPANYFPS02)

I selected the correct driver from the Printer Model dropdown.

So far, so good.

Here's where things get odd. When I hilight the printer in the Printer List, and do a get-info, the info window shows the following info:

� Printer Name: This was not an option in the Setup but it has been filled-in by the system as a combination of both the Queue Name and the IP address. Thus... "COMPANYFPS02 on 198.xxx.x.xx" My company DOES have names for the different printers. This one would be identified as EASTCOLORPRINTER. Should I put that in this field instead?

� Location: Again, another field not present in the setup routine. I have no idea what to put here.

� Queue Name: A repeat of the "COMPANYFPS02 on 198.xxx.x.xx" that was in the Printre Name field. This field, though, is locked and not editable.

� Host Name: Another option that was not part of the original setup! Sounds important. Unfortunately, it's blank and not editable.

� Driver Version: Blank. I would think it would get this from the driver I designated. Guess not. Locked, too.

So, I guess I'm stuck. I'm baffled by all the fields on the Printer Info window that weren't part of the Printer Setup. And I really would like to get this working. I guess I should mention here, if you haven't guessed, that I am trying to print to a windows networked printer. At work (using OS9) I'd be using DAVE to print to the thing.

Anyone have any ideas?

Forum Links
Forum Rules