Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Backup Software: Suggestions and Strategy

Backup Software: Suggestions and Strategy
Starry Night
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 25, 2004, 03:40 PM

Aloha,

The new hard drive, to be used primarily for backup purposes, is on it's way. Outpost have been great so far (despites it's mediocre reputation) and upgraded me to overnight shipping for free, to Hawaii that would've cost almost $50. Now I have to figure out backup software.

When the drive arrives I plan on cloning my existing drive using Carbon Copy Cloner. From there, I'm considering two options for routine backups:

1) CCC + Psync. After having read the manuals for both, I'm a little uneasy given the amount of geek unix speak used to explain things Not that there's anything wrong with such speak, I just don't understand it. Is this an easy, stable, and reliable setup for a novice to use? It's certainly cheap, $5 for both.

2) After reading through many reviews of various options at MacUpdate and VersionTracker, I downloaded the trial version of ChronoSync ($30) and the developer sent me a 5 week timed trial key. It works pretty good and is simple to use, however, from what I can tell, it can only sync my Home folder (or specific unique routines for folders w/in the Home folder) between my machine and the backup hard drive, while CCC + Psync sync's everything.

Is sync-ing the Home folder enough? I'm a little confused about which route to go and am open to any alternative routes you wise souls may suggest.

Thanks,
John

skybolt
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 26, 2004, 10:31 AM

I use CCC weekly and am very pleased with it! Works well, and after the first backup, if you set to "sync", it takes little time (of course that would depend on how much you are backing up). I also, about monthly, back up my home directory on a DVD and keep it at my work. I figure the chances of losing my home and work locations at the same time are slim to none. At least I would have my home directory to restore to the computer.

Good luck!
Mary

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 26, 2004, 11:59 AM

1) Deja Vu home folder nightly
2) Deja Vu entire disk weekly
3) Backup.app nightly to .Mac of "most important files"
4) Burn copies, songs, files, applications, etc to DVD/CDR and take it to work every few weeks.

BZ

Forum Links
Forum Rules