Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Dead DVD drive in iMac DV+

Dead DVD drive in iMac DV+
megasad
Grizzled Veteran
May 9, 2004, 03:16 PM

For no readily apparent reason, the optical drive (CD-ROM/DVD-ROM, MATSHITADVD-ROM SR-8186) in the iMac DV+ I've been using for the last six months (my girlfriend's brother's machine) has stopped working. It was always a little finicky with DVDs, sometimes refusing to play them, or stopping halfway, but now it won't even recognise any CD or DVD inserted into it, at all. The drive doesn't even appear to spin the disc, just spitting it out after two or three minutes.

I'm assuming it's died. Anyone know why it might have done that?

More to the point, anyone know how easy it is to replace? What kind of optical drive will fit in there? Where I might buy such drives (in the UK)? Do eBuyer sell them?

Thanks for any help,
Simon.
BayBook (13" MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD) // BayPhone (iPhone 4, 32GB, black)

Dex13
Mac Elite
May 9, 2004, 05:47 PM

I took out and replaced my Hard drive on my imac and it wasn't that hard, you just have to take care not to lose any screws.

Wegner Media used to resell DVD drives for the imac but it seems that they have sold out.

I've seen them all over ebay tho.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 30, 2005, 03:42 PM

I have the opportunity to inherit a free Rev A Bondi iMac, but the catch is the CD drive is dead. What replacement drive works in these?

Edit-- woops, that was supposed to be a new topic. Srry about resurrecting the dead.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Krusty
Professional Poster
Mar 30, 2005, 10:00 PM

These will. Alternately, I'd go to xlr8yourmac.com and search their drive compatibility database for CD drives and restrict to the model range to iMac (as opposed the iMac slot-loading, iMac g4, and iMac G5 options ... iMac means "original iMac" in their listing). I see where one guy picked one up from newegg.com for $35

Forum Links
Forum Rules