Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 15 Apple Menu Items or less, or else...

15 Apple Menu Items or less, or else...
mfiske
Jan 16, 2000, 12:27 PM

...upon opening Energy Saver, the entire iBook freezes up, requiring a reset. Will 16 items in the Apple Menu, I get these rediculous freezes. With 15 or less, everything seems fine...

These Energy Saver probles have REALLY been allowed to exist for TOO long. I'm plagued by troubles on BOTH my new iBook AND my new iMac 350. Come on, Apple...

Mark.

Damien
Forum Regular
Jan 16, 2000, 03:12 PM

Heh...Apple Menu Options needs to be retired. It's been causing problems since System 7.5 and hasn't really been updated since. I've had AMO cause problems with many programs and system configurations. Almost always it's that the Apple Menu Options prefs had become corrupted and deleting/allowing them to rebuild solved the problem.

Luckily, there are two good replacements for AMO. AMICO, older but stable as a rock, allows moderate customization of the Apple Menu.

BeHierarchic, more configurable but slows system down, is also a great replacment.

Try deleting your AMO prefs. If that doesn't work, use one of the replacements (available at most download spots).

Damien Barrett http://www.mrbarrett.com

anonymous
Jan 18, 2000, 11:06 AM

I got ahold of a recent beta of Mac OS 9.0.1 Update. It seems to fix the problem you've described...

Forum Links
Forum Rules