Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > iDisk trick

iDisk trick
wlonh
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2000, 08:55 PM

"Mounting iDisk sans password typing--
A reader successfully used ServerMounter to mount his iDisk without having to type a password. It creates documents that script the process." (from MacFixit)

ServerMounter is FREE and is available here: http://hyperarchive.lcs.mit.edu/Hype...nter-11-as.hqx

After you launch ServerMounter, you use the Chooser/AppleShare method of logging in to your iDisk (server: idisk.mac.com) and ServerMounter creates an executable script of your login procedure... next time you want your iDisk, you simply click on the script and then click 'connect' button. bingo, nice...

beverson
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 15, 2000, 03:00 PM

Why can't you just use the normal procedure for mounting a server volume at startup available in the Chooser. You know, the little checkbox that asks if you want to mount every startup, and a second that asks whether or not to remember your password?

Yibidiyibidiyeh
Jan 16, 2000, 04:09 PM

I like the alias method.

But I after registering I only got access to the iDisk working manually after a lot of inaction by the installer. (Once registered go to Chooser select Appleshare IP ... and type "idisk.mac.com".

But I still can't get access to the other iTools features. The webobjects won't recognise me or the plug-in or whatever. Can anyone offer a suggestion or fix.

Running OS9 with 96Mb RAM on 6400/200 with 28.8 Express Modem from Singapore.

A Bigger iDisk Trick

OS 7.6 - 8.6 users who want to access mac.com and iDisk should check this out -
http://www.acts.org/itoolstrick/

Tina
Jan 17, 2000, 05:07 AM

You actually _can_ access iTools without the plugin. Take a look at http://homepage.mac.com/misve/ for some tips.

/Tina

TomeOne
Jan 17, 2000, 08:09 AM

Another cool trick is to create an alias of your idisk. Now all you need to do is double-click it or select it in the apple menu (whatever fits your taste), and you get a small window where it asks you for your password. Remember: an iDisk is a Appleshare volume.

Forum Links
Forum Rules