Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Mac 512k

Mac 512k
Basso
Jan 15, 2000, 09:30 PM

So here I am driving down the road, and what do I see to the side sittin on the curb, a Mac 512k. It has no keyboard and no software.(I discovered that this unit has no hard drive runs off the floppy, Yes?) The thing is in perfect cond. and has an additional floppy drive that works. When I turn it on I get a flashing disc icon with a ?// Can't find the system.
Where can I find software for this thing? I have gone to the apple site but can't find system 6.0 Also trying to locate a usable keyboard. It has a connection like a phone Jack (Wild!!!) I hate to put this piece of history back out on the curb. But then again I don't want to spend a lot of money to make it go. John C.

BillMac
Jan 15, 2000, 10:11 PM

Try this place. I have a 512 that runs VERY quickly on OS 4.2!
http://www.athenet.net/~gyounk/ssdl.htm

BillMac
Jan 15, 2000, 10:14 PM

Almost forgot, I believe a keyboard from a Plus will work on the 512. Also you can use an old SC 20 or SC40 Hard Drive plugged into it.

Seagull
Jan 15, 2000, 11:05 PM

Another good site to go to for software is the vMac Application Site at "www.hostus.com/vas/"
The software collection there is for running the vMac Mac Plus emulator, but is also good for the Mac 512K.

Walter J. Ferstl
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 16, 2000, 12:26 PM

Sorry, BillMac,

>Also you can use an old SC 20 or
>SC40 Hard Drive plugged into it.

I doubt this is correct as the 512 lacks an SCSI interface (supposing the SC in the hard drive names means SCSI).

There have been *serial* hard drives that worked on the 512, but they were in the 5 MB to 10 MB range. Will be a very hard task to find one of these...

Have fun anyway with your 512, Basso (I have kept mine all the years, my first Mac in 1986).

Best regards,

Walter.

Walter J. Ferstl
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 16, 2000, 12:38 PM

Basso,

for software, have a look at the following sites:
http://www.macintoshos.com/macintosh.museum/ http://lowendmac.com/compact/index.shtml http://www.uwm.edu/~thig/plus.html
with a lot of links.

Regards,

Walter.

BillMac
Jan 16, 2000, 12:54 PM

Walter is right. Just went and dug mine out and it has a SCSI card or something above the power switch! The standard plugs are seriel.

Basso
Jan 18, 2000, 09:46 AM

Thanks to all. The puppies up and running! The internal floppy drive is no good but the extenal one works fine. My 8 year old is gonna be tickled.

Amazing to think that this unit was state of the art only 15 years ago..

Thanks again! John C.

ry
Jan 18, 2000, 07:26 PM

> The internal floppy drive is no good

FYI, the 512k mac only supported 400K ("single-sided double-density") floppies -- make sure you're not trying to use an 800k ("double-sided double-density") or 1.4mb ("double-sided high-density") floppy in the drive.

Ryan.

Forum Links
Forum Rules