Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.1.5 update woes

10.1.5 update woes
chalk_outline
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 8, 2004, 01:53 AM

I know I should get 10.2 on this beige G3. But I should have a new eMac in a few weeks so I want to apply all my cash to that purchase. This trusty box is going to a friend who can't really aford a new computer but It would really help him out.

So, my problem is. I was using 9.1 and that got hosed. But I don't have the CD for re-installing it. So I installed the only OS CD I had and that was 10.0.4. That had to go. I went to the local Mac Store and they burned a copy of 10.1 for me for a couple of bucks. I also downloaded the 10.1.5 update while at the store since my connection sucks.

http://www.apple.com/support/downloa...te_10_1_5.html

This gives me a error in the installer:

"Installer Update is required for this update"

I installed the update recommended on the left of that page. Which was just a security update. Software Update says everything is up-to-date. Any ideas on how to install this update?

Thanks in advance for any help.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 8, 2004, 02:31 AM

I believe this is the update you need:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=120072

After installing this, try running the 10.1.5 update again.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 8, 2004, 09:55 AM

Originally posted by chalk_outline:
I know I should get 10.2 on this beige G3.
Panther is what you want, not 10.2.

Chris

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 8, 2004, 10:25 AM

Originally posted by chabig:
Panther is what you want, not 10.2.
Panther doesn't run on a beige G3.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 8, 2004, 11:09 AM

Originally posted by Developer:
Panther doesn't run on a beige G3.
From the XPostFacto documentation:

"The Beige G3s and Wallstreet Powerbooks were supported by Apple in Mac OS X 10.0 through 10.2, but are no longer supported in 10.3 (Panther). However, XPostFacto can get these models working in Panther."

So although Apple doesn't support it, I think I would still recommend running Panther rather than Jaguar. It's just so much better.

Chris
( Last edited by chabig; Aug 8, 2004 at 11:16 AM. )

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 8, 2004, 03:03 PM

Originally posted by chabig:
From the XPostFacto documentation:

"The Beige G3s and Wallstreet Powerbooks were supported by Apple in Mac OS X 10.0 through 10.2, but are no longer supported in 10.3 (Panther). However, XPostFacto can get these models working in Panther."

So although Apple doesn't support it, I think I would still recommend running Panther rather than Jaguar. It's just so much better.

Chris
Also taken from that site..
"The video in/out on the Beige G3 A/V personality cards is not working."
So yes it will work on a beige G3, If you use a new vid card..
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Aug 8, 2004, 04:15 PM

Originally posted by Grrr:
Also taken from that site..
"The video in/out on the Beige G3 A/V personality cards is not working."
So yes it will work on a beige G3, If you use a new vid card..
Unless you won't be using the A/V ports. It doesn't sound like the VGA port is affected.

chalk_outline  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 8, 2004, 05:29 PM

Originally posted by CharlesS:
I believe this is the update you need:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=120072

After installing this, try running the 10.1.5 update again.
I tried that and still get the same error. I also tried downloading the 10.1.1 installer and it doesn't give me the previous error but when I select which drive to install it on to it won't let me choose. They are all greyed out.

And thanks for all the help.

PS: This thing only needs to make throught the next couple weeks so I don't plan on purchasing any software that that I will buy again in a few weeks. I did look into getting more RAM at the local Mac Store and they wanted 150 for 256 Megs. I only payed 70 for the computer.

I will let the new owner pay for upgrades.

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 8, 2004, 07:14 PM

Easiest would be if you would run Software Update from System Preferences. It would fetch the updates in the required order for you.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

Oneota
Professional Poster
Aug 8, 2004, 08:18 PM

Originally posted by bradoesch:
Unless you won't be using the A/V ports. It doesn't sound like the VGA port is affected.
Indeed; and the A/V ports never did work under Mac OS X.
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

chalk_outline  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 8, 2004, 08:31 PM

Originally posted by Developer:
Easiest would be if you would run Software Update from System Preferences. It would fetch the updates in the required order for you.
Software Update says I'm Current. That's what is making me wonder. It runs FireFox so I'm happy. But I would just like the new user to OS X to have a semi-current machine.

Could this be the installer is brocken bug from a while back?

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 8, 2004, 08:43 PM

Originally posted by bradoesch:
Urm, but the VGA port is on the same card. I assure you, it doesn't work in 10.3. Otherwise i'd be running 10.3 on mine now
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 8, 2004, 11:19 PM

Weird. If the Installer Update is installed and that's what the 10.1.5 update claims it requires, then maybe forcing the 10.1.5 combo update to install with Pacifist would work. However, I can't guarantee that this will work; there's always the chance that it could mess things up enough that you'll need to do an archive and install. However, it's looking like that might be what you'll end up having to do anyway...

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Aug 9, 2004, 03:01 PM

Urm, but the VGA port is on the same card. I assure you, it doesn't work in 10.3. Otherwise i'd be running 10.3 on mine now
Well that settles it then. Originally it sounded like it was only the A/V ports and not the entire card. Good to know.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 9, 2004, 10:36 PM

I don't think it is. The AV ports are on the personality card, which is not the same thing as the built-in ATI graphics.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 9, 2004, 10:46 PM

I agree. I think the VGA port is on the motherboard, not the A/V board.

Chris

chalk_outline  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 10, 2004, 04:09 AM

I got it working. I gave up and re-installed from scratch. This time it worked fine.

Thanks..

Forum Links
Forum Rules