Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > How to use AirPort Express to access a PPTP VPN?

How to use AirPort Express to access a PPTP VPN?
Nai no Kami
Senior User
Aug 30, 2006, 10:17 AM

A friend of mine bought an AirPort Express base station yesterday. She accesses the web via a VPN made by her ISP. If the ethernet cable is physically connected to the computer, she can connect fine. If you connect the ethernet cable to the APX, she cannot connect. I have an APX myself and I tried to help her with the configuration (I access the web through PPPoE). I haven't had any luck. I tried to search about the topic and the results have not been too carifying. From what I understand, this has something to do with port mapping (to achieve the PPTP passthrough that I believe is required). I'm no network expert but some idea I have. In this case, I'm completely clueless. Where should I start looking?

Enormous thanks for the help.

Forgot: Should you need further information, please ask.
( Last edited by Nai no Kami; Aug 30, 2006 at 11:39 AM. )

Y no entienden nada... ¡y cómo se divierten!...

Nai no Kami  (op)
Senior User
Sep 1, 2006, 12:22 PM

Ok. After a myriad of trial and error I found (I did all this remotely, addressing instructions by phone without seeing my friend's screen) that there some outdated software. So I could eventually make the PPTP connection work. Nevertheless, she wasn't able to print or use speakers remotely. After another trial and error sessions, I could figure that a setup I tried before (without success) now worked perfectly, so she can now use all of APX functionality. A pity nobody could throw some light in. It took me like 3 days to solve the problem. But I believe I'm an APX expert now.
Thread adjourned.

Y no entienden nada... ¡y cómo se divierten!...

Forum Links
Forum Rules