Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Video acceleration and original iBooks

Video acceleration and original iBooks
Nai no Kami
Senior User
May 29, 2001, 01:35 PM

I think this may be answered yet, but... anyway.
I have an original iBook and I realized that Open GL applications just run terrible (I mean TERRIBLE). I could run, say Gl Tron and VirtualWings Pro with OS 9 (which proves it is not the machine's fault) at more than decent speeds. Now, running this programs from classic or in their native versions (this is the case of GL Tron) is almost impossible. I also found that running "Snoopy vs. Red Baron" (a 2D silly game available from Versiontracker) with GL acceleration is like moving under water (or under styling gel) whereas turning GL off makes it decently playable. Making tests with other classic apps that used to run fine, such as Pixels 3D, showed that reiggering a quick render gave a blank screen as a result. Another curious thing is that other 2D games such as Reckless Drivin' run fine.
What is going on?. I assume that neither 2D nor 3D accel are currently supported. Then I wondered: which graphics card does the iBook Bare. System Profiled did not tell me wether it is a rage 128 or rage pro based mobility chip.

Please someone enlighten me. Thanks.

Y no entienden nada... ¡y cómo se divierten!...

Forum Links
Forum Rules