Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Fonts and OS X

Fonts and OS X
Nai no Kami
Senior User
Mar 22, 2001, 01:05 PM

Despite the nifty font panel showed at Apple's website, does anyone know how is the font management in OS X? I mean, having lots of fonts is the same than having only a few in terms of performance?. Are 3rd party ulilities needed, like ATM or Suitcase, for font managing?. Overall, how does the Classic font managing techniques apply to OS X? (I believe the answer is 'non applicable'). What if I have hundreds of fonts?

***Cogito, ergo sum*** (<- it applies to my "doubtfullness" state)

Y no entienden nada... ¡y cómo se divierten!...

Joey
Mar 22, 2001, 01:13 PM

In the public beta, I think you could organize your fonts into libraries. Perhaps this is one of the things in the "Extras" pop-up in the Fonts panel? Fonts are only loaded (and unloaded) on an as-needed basis, so it won't slow down your system to have tons of fonts. Hope that answers some of your questions.

penfold
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 22, 2001, 01:15 PM

It mentions fonts and stuff in the pr
http://www.apple.com/pr/

------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------
You're crazy - you think you're going to change this silly little world... better see yourself a shrink
--------------------------------
You're crazy - you think you're going to change this silly little world... better see yourself a shrink

Scott_H
Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2001, 01:16 PM

Maybe someone with OS X SR could post a mini review. Give a bit of detail.

OS X SR = OS X ShrinkwRap

mindwaves
Mar 22, 2001, 01:33 PM

Originally posted by Scott_H:
Maybe someone with OS X SR could post a mini review. Give a bit of detail.

OS X SR = OS X ShrinkwRap
When I read that Scott, I thought that it meant "Staples Review." LOL. Now this is my 1000th post and now I am officially addicted to MacNN.

Harald
Mar 22, 2001, 03:56 PM

Noticed two cool things on 4k78: trying to move a couple fonts from a classic box to an x-box (errr) it did some automatic work ... what were two fonts called xyz regular and xyz bold show up as "xyz" in the panel. Make something bold with command-b and it chooses the correct font for you, not a biggerthicker version of regular. Cool as hell. Or you can select the correct typeface manually, like you had to in Classic. Oh, did I mention that I "imported" the fonts into X not by putting them in /users/harald/library/fonts/ but in my classic system folder's fonts folder?

I officially LOVE this OS. Mein gott. Stunning.

Harald

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2001, 05:01 PM

I don't have my OS X machines in front of me (I'm at my *real* job), but if I remember correctly, OS X can create font sets for you, called Collections, much like Adobe Type Manager Deluxe.

Check out the OS Theater page:
<http://www.apple.com/macosx/theater/fontpanel_english.html> to get a look at the Collections, Families, etc. I'll look into this further when I get home.

------------------
http://www.railheaddesign.com/
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

mmintler
Forum Regular
Mar 22, 2001, 06:06 PM

Does all of this mean...I will not need ATM,ATM Deluxe, Font Reserve,etc.....if so yahooo
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-
Albert Einstein

Scott_H
Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2001, 06:16 PM

I guess it does. No doubt Adobe will have a font tool for Pros though.

SezMe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 22, 2001, 07:54 PM

Don't have final yet, but in the Public Beta, I downloaded a PC true type font from the Web, and OS X used it just like any other font, superb antialiasing and all. Imagine being able to use any font (TT, T1, OT) for any platform, and not needing any special utility. Good stuff.

I haven't tested, but I wish there was a way for classic and X proper to access the same fonts. Maybe with an aliases from the OS 9 font folder?

Twilightmoon
Mar 24, 2001, 09:40 AM

I guess I want to know if you have PS fonts that in OS 9 and earlier need a bitmap version, do you need the bitmap version still in OS X? Or does it read straight from the PS printer font file? I'd have to assume that it works straight from the PS font file, no bitmap needed or wanted, but I'll have to see for myself when install later today....

I have a lot of fonts to install too...

Trev
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2001, 10:33 AM

The deal with fonts in Mac OS X is you can use either Truetype, Type 1 (bitmaps are still requried), or OpenType fonts.

They can be located in either:

/Library/Fonts
/Users/(yourhome)/Library/Fonts
Or when OS X Server 2.0 comes out in the /Network/Library/Fonts

There is no "management" per se in OS X. The font panel can be used to shorten a list of fonts you use regularly (collections), or create a "style sheet" of sorts with settings for any given font.
If you use Type 1 fonts they must be all together in the Fonts folder (you cannot segregate them into folders unfortunatly). This is an opportunity for Adobe or the folks at Extensis I think in the near future.
ATM is no longer required since Quartz does all the screen rendering now natively.

In all, the fonts issue that has plagued OS 9 and earlier are gone but not without some issues in terms of UI use.
+++++++++++

morgan
Forum Regular
Mar 24, 2001, 10:34 AM

Yeah, I'd like to know if fonts installed in OSX will work in classic. Somehow I think not, but you never know. If not, there's almost no need to move my fonts to OSX since the apps I use fonts for don't have non-classic versions yet. That is seriously cool about PC TT fonts though. That rules.

rlorenc
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 24, 2001, 11:18 AM

Do Classic (OS 9) fonts work in OS X? Where do I put them?

mac-freak
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2001, 01:26 PM

Originally posted by Harald:
Noticed two cool things on 4k78: trying to move a couple fonts from a classic box to an x-box (errr) it did some automatic work ... what were two fonts called xyz regular and xyz bold show up as "xyz" in the panel. Make something bold with command-b and it chooses the correct font for you, not a biggerthicker version of regular. Cool as hell. Or you can select the correct typeface manually, like you had to in Classic. Oh, did I mention that I "imported" the fonts into X not by putting them in /users/harald/library/fonts/ but in my classic system folder's fonts folder?

I officially LOVE this OS. Mein gott. Stunning.

Harald
Can anyone import keyboard layouts from 9.1 to os X?

SteveTheMacNut
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2001, 02:56 PM

Does anyone know if AppleWorks 6.1 uses the Font Panel is OS X? Also, does it run on OS 8/9?

-Steve

Forum Links
Forum Rules