Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Firefox is getting buggy

Firefox is getting buggy
Veltliner
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2011, 04:50 AM

What's the matter with Firefox.

Used to be such a good browser, but now it's collecting bugs like an ant eater.

1. There's a forum called webhostingtalk.com. You can no longer post with Firefox there. Anything you post will get turned down with the message "message too short. It must be 10 letters or more". Same reply even if you'd post "War and Peace".

Safari works fine.

2. Pop-up blocker craze.

When you go to Livebook websites and click on "blog", the pop-up blocker blocks the blog.

No problem with Safari.

What's going on? Is Mozilla changing so much code they are losing control? Has so much been rewritten?

ibook_steve
Jun 27, 2011, 03:59 PM

I unfortunately see Firefox heading down the Netscape path of too much bloat. I switched from FF to Chrome last year and I haven't looked back. Chrome's main problem is resource usage (just check it out in Activity Monitor), but it is still the fastest, easiest browser I've found.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Thorzdad
Jun 27, 2011, 06:18 PM

FWIW, judging by this thread at WHT, you aren't alone.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 27, 2011, 06:59 PM

Is the error immediate, before the page is submitted? Sounds like a JS issue, either with Firefox's JS engine (unlikely) or WHT's JS.

Veltliner  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2011, 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
I unfortunately see Firefox heading down the Netscape path of too much bloat. I switched from FF to Chrome last year and I haven't looked back. Chrome's main problem is resource usage (just check it out in Activity Monitor), but it is still the fastest, easiest browser I've found.

Steve
I'm thinking of switching to Safari. (Just have to find a way to get my extensive bookmark collection across).

But I'll take a look at Chrome. What do you like more about Chrome than about Safari?

Veltliner  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2011, 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
FWIW, judging by this thread at WHT, you aren't alone.
Yes, WHT sent that link to me, too.

The issue has still not been fixed, so Firefox really has issues.

Veltliner  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2011, 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Is the error immediate, before the page is submitted? Sounds like a JS issue, either with Firefox's JS engine (unlikely) or WHT's JS.
in WHT: You write your post, you click "submit reply" - and get the error message. And your post is gone.

in Livebooks: You click on the link to the blog, and the yellow bar appears: "Firefox has suppressed a pop-up" (Only it's not a pop-up. It's a normal link).

Firefox still seems to have a very big share of the browser market. But this could change quickly with bugs like this.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 28, 2011, 03:58 AM

Firefox on the Mac may very well be a second class citizen to Firefox Windows where it is immensely popular.

Chrome handles having many tabs open better than Safari right now because of each tab being its own process. Safari will adopt this approach in its next major release, I believe, the debut of Webkit2. Chrome also has some extensions that Safari doesn't and vice versa. I've found Chrome's Javascript engine to be less buggy than Safari's, and its adoption of Webkit changes such as its developer tools more bleeding edge than Safari (although if you really want this you could run the Webkit Nightlies if you don't mind the instability).

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 28, 2011, 08:43 AM

Yeah, Firefox's quality seems to be declining but not just on the Mac side - I've seen unnecessary sluggishness on Windows too.

For me browsing on the desktop is starting to come to a combination of Opera and Chrome. Opera is excellent at running a lot of tabs in very little memory, but it has some compatibility problems. I still often use Safari on the OS X side, though.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Veltliner  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2011, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Firefox on the Mac may very well be a second class citizen to Firefox Windows where it is immensely popular.

Chrome handles having many tabs open better than Safari right now because of each tab being its own process. Safari will adopt this approach in its next major release, I believe, the debut of Webkit2. Chrome also has some extensions that Safari doesn't and vice versa. I've found Chrome's Javascript engine to be less buggy than Safari's, and its adoption of Webkit changes such as its developer tools more bleeding edge than Safari (although if you really want this you could run the Webkit Nightlies if you don't mind the instability).
I heard so many good things about Chrome - I really have to give Chrome a trial run!

Forum Links
Forum Rules