Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac Core 2 DUO Versus Core 2 Extreme - Help me identify

iMac Core 2 DUO Versus Core 2 Extreme - Help me identify
prominence
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 12, 2007, 03:24 AM

Hi everyone!

I recently bought a 24 inch iMac from a local apple store. I wanted the Intel 2.8GHz Core 2 Extreme model with 2gigs RAM and 500GB hard-drive.

Well, the box was apparently packaged wrong (it said 2.4GHZ Core 2 duo and 1gig RAM), and when I mentioned it to the lady at check-out she told me that it was boxed wrong and that it is what I wanted - and to double check it when I get home if I wanted.

So I did. And there's one issue I ran into.

When I go to "About This Mac" and look at the processor information, it says "2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo". I paid for the model that I wanted to have the Intel Extreme processor, so shouldn't it say "2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Extreme" ... and not "duo"?

Please help me figure this out! I need to take the computer back if they've given me the wrong thing, but I can't tell if "Extreme" is just a fancy name added onto the 2.8 GHz Duo model, or if there is actually 2 different models - "2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo" & "2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Extreme" <-- In which case, if both exist, I need to talk to Apple and get the right processor I paid for!!

Can anyone help?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 12, 2007, 03:42 AM

I don't have a recent iMac to check what the About This Mac box says, but the Core 2 Extreme version is the only 2.8 GHz iMac Apple has ever shipped.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Big Slick
Oct 12, 2007, 06:14 AM

No, it doesn't. I have the extreme processor and under "my mac" it read:
Model Identifier: iMac 7,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.8 Ghz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
"Good things come to those who wait, but not to those who wait too late"

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 12, 2007, 08:09 AM

The Merom XE is an overclocked Merom with unlocked multipliers. It runs at 2.8 GHz. No other mobile C2D runs at that frequency, IOW if you have a 2.8 GHz Merom in there, you have a Merom XE X7900. Apple refers to the X7900 as Core 2 Duo in their GUI panels (I'm guessing it's just a simple mistake), but it is indeed the X7900 which Intel marketing calls the Core 2 Extreme.

You have the Core 2 Extreme you wanted. You're alright.

The mislabeled box is interesting though. I have never received a mislabeled box from Apple. That would have me made me suspicious too.

Professional Poster
Oct 12, 2007, 03:32 PM

Extreme is just a name. It is still a Core 2 Duo Chip. If it is running at 2.8 GHz, you have a Core 2 Extreme iMac.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 12, 2007, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
The Merom XE is an overclocked Merom
What makes it overclocked? It comes from the factory as a 2.8Ghz part.

hldan
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2007, 01:03 AM

If you use Bootcamp for Windows you will see the actual model of the processor. In Windows it shows Core 2 Extreme. Same like the graphics card. In OS X it's called the HD 2600 Pro (which causes all the confusion) but in Windows it's called the Mobility HD 2600XT.
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

.Neo
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 13, 2007, 08:27 AM

It's kind off retarded that Mac OS X identifies my CPU as a 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, while Windows Vista does show the "Intel Core 2 Extreme" tag. Apple should fix that.

Forum Links
Forum Rules