Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Obamamania is officially on tour

Obamamania is officially on tour
ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2009, 10:31 AM

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2009, 11:03 AM

Hunh. When I was in Chicago on Saturday, I saw this truck setup from the back and wondered what it but there was only a small crowd around it so I couldn't be bothered to walk across the park and see what it was. If you ask me it seems a bit overwrought to think that a sitting President, one who has been in office less than six months, deserves his own mega-statue, let alone a place on Mt. Rushmore.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2009, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by dcmacdaddy View Post
If you ask me it seems a bit overwrought to think that a sitting President, one who has been in office less than six months, deserves his own mega-statue, let alone a place on Mt. Rushmore.
Well then, it's good that he's not getting a place on Mt. Rushmore.

The massive bust of Barack Obama is scheduled to finish its tour about 40 miles from Mount Rushmore, in Lead, S.D., home of another tourist attraction called Presidents Park.
In fact, Obama's likeness is only the latest to join the sculpture garden at Presidents Park, which contains 20-foot-tall busts of all of our nation's presidents, crafted by Adickes.
"The 43 heads are arranged chronologically along a path winding up into a rocky knoll of tall pines," states Roadside America. "Wild turkeys roam the slope. The tree shade makes for challenging photos, but the dappling adds character. You can capture a Nixon and Ford lurking side by side in the shadows, or G. W. Bush gazing toward a slightly smirking Clinton. Beyond those two there's room for another century worth of larger-than-life likenesses."
This has to be the silliest thing I've read all day.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2009, 11:11 AM

Unbelievable! They carved his head and are adding to a sculpture garden containing carvings of all the presidents? Who the hell do they think he is? The president?

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2009, 11:19 AM

Mea culpa. Looks like I should have read more than the first few sentences and looked at the pic.

I assumed the article was about another Obama fan and their over-sized admiration for the guy*. Looks like I was wrong, Big Time, on this one. I formally retract my critical comments made in my first post in this thread.

*Don't get me wrong. I voted for the guy too. But I think too many people have bought into a cult of personality surrounding him and treat him as some sort of demi-god when he is just a politician.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jun 16, 2009, 11:21 AM

Mea culpa. Looks like I should have read more than the first few sentences and looked at the pic.

I assumed the article was about another Obama fan and their over-sized admiration for the guy*. Looks like I was wrong, Big Time, on this one. I formally retract my critical comments made in my first post in this thread.
Given the slant the OP gave the thread, it'd be unreasonable to hold you accountable.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2009, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
Unbelievable! They carved his head and are adding to a sculpture garden containing carvings of all the presidents? Who the hell do they think he is? The president?
I want to know how the Obama sculpture fits into the dramatic description of the sculpture garden itself.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2009, 01:13 PM

It's not even a good likeness. I mean, where are the horns?

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jun 16, 2009, 01:51 PM

I want some angry eyebrows.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jun 16, 2009, 02:10 PM

*Don't get me wrong. I voted for the guy too. But I think too many people have bought into a cult of personality surrounding him and treat him as some sort of demi-god when he is just a politician.
Every Democrat I've spoken with has voiced the same concerns. Personally, I'm waiting for the Sermon on the Mount and the loaves and fishes thing.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2009, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Every Democrat I've spoken with has voiced the same concerns.
Does that mean no one really buys into the "cult of personality" and it's just an illusion that everyone thinks others are buying?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jun 16, 2009, 07:49 PM

The Democrats I know are Blue Dogs, like me.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Forum Links
Forum Rules