Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > sk8n with ipod

sk8n with ipod
DoGoodDrugs
Aug 10, 2004, 09:32 AM

last night i went skating and decided to take my ipod with me so i could listen to music... now some may think this is asking for a broken ipod, but am i? i just went riding on my long board so its not like i was gonna fall on it or drop it. but i also did some simple short board tricks ie: ollies (maybe 2ft. high) etc., and some ledge drops maybe 4 ft. high.

so my question is will this cause any problems with the harddrive inside the ipod. the reason i ask this is because many years ago when i was putting a computer in my jeep i heard that the needle/pins? could crash into the hd disks and scratch them if i were to drive on rough terrain. will i have the same problem with the ipod hd getting scratched if i jolt it around too much? and will apple replace it if this happens?

thanks for any input,
DGD

ender2002
Senior User
Aug 10, 2004, 09:44 AM

The hard drive needles are used only when the hard drive is spinning, which is not constant. The ipod copies as many "future played songs" as possible onto a piece of non-moving hardware. The hard drive only spins for as long as it takes to copy the songs. If something does happen to the ipod, remember you have a one year warrantee for it (or maybe not) and you should probably buy applecare anyway if you are really that concerned.

Forum Links
Forum Rules