Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > How is SimCity 4 on a dual G5?

How is SimCity 4 on a dual G5?
Macola
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2004, 12:20 AM

I recently got SC4 as a gift (I'm not much of a gamer, but the SC series is one of my favorites). It's a great concept, but the performance is disappointing, to say the least. On my dual 1.4 GHz G4 (upgraded GigE) with 1GB RAM, ATI 9000 Radeon Pro 128MB card, it runs pretty slow even with a smallish city (<50,000 pop.). Setting all the graphics options to the lowest value didn't help much--it takes everal seconds just to respond to a mouse click.

Anyone with a dual G5 still playing this game? Please post your experience. Thanks.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

gururafiki
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 20, 2004, 02:51 PM

I tried it, and it seems to crash a lot. I am not sure if I have an isolated incident, but I was not happy with it. I was surprised that a redraw of a city took so long to come up with the graphics cards I have. I did set the preferences to "use hardware" for the graphics, but it still was too choppy for medium to large cities. It may just be a crappy port...

Skip Breakfast
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 21, 2004, 02:19 PM

Sounds like it's worse than Sim City 3000 (which was horrifying).
PowerMac G4 Gigabit 1.2GHz, 896MB, 2x 80GB WD SE, Pioneer 107, Radeon 9000 Pro 128MB

Macintosh TV

Skip Breakfast
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 21, 2004, 02:20 PM

Also, Maxis went to hell when EA bought them. Sim City 2K is still fun.
PowerMac G4 Gigabit 1.2GHz, 896MB, 2x 80GB WD SE, Pioneer 107, Radeon 9000 Pro 128MB

Macintosh TV

Macola  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2004, 07:12 PM

Originally posted by Skip Breakfast:
Also, Maxis went to hell when EA bought them. Sim City 2K is still fun.
Yeah, I'm almost thinking of running SC 2K in Classic. I bet the performance is better than SC4...
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

derekn
Senior User
Dec 30, 2004, 02:47 AM

I have a dual 1.8 (June 2004 revision) with 1.2 GB of RAM and the stock GeForce FX 5200. SC4 (with the rush hour expansion pack) runs pretty nice, much better than on my 1.2Ghz SP MDD. It's not super speedy to where it'll zoom in the moment you tell it to, but it could be a lot worse. LOL

Haven't had any crashes however, had one on the G4, but none on the G5.

Forum Links
Forum Rules