Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Microsoft refreshes Surface line with Pro 4, Surface Book [u]

Microsoft refreshes Surface line with Pro 4, Surface Book [u]
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Oct 6, 2015, 12:27 PM

[Updated with pricing information of various configurations] Alongside the reveal of the HoloLens developers kit and the new version of the Band wearable, Microsoft refreshed its Surface Pro, in addition to adding a new laptop to the line. The Surface Pro 4 brings new processors, a higher-resolution screen, and a new pen to the now 12.3-inch device. The Surface Book is a larger convertible device, with a 13.5-inch detachable screen.

The Surface Pro 4 is thinner than the previous model at 8.4mm, and utilizes the new sixth-generation Core M, Core i5, or Core i7 processor, depending on configuration. Storage is configurable up to 1TB, with up to 16GB of RAM on the new offering. Microsoft claims up to nine hours of battery life. The new Surface Pro 4 pen gives up to 1,024 levels of pressure.

A Surface Pro 4 with Intel Core m3 processor sells for $899. The Surface Pro 4 with the Intel Core i5 processor, 128GB of storage, and 4GB of RAM is $999. An i5 model with 256GB of storage and 16GB of RAM retails for $1,499. An i7-equipped tablet with 8GB of RAM and 256GB of storage sells for $1,599. Boosting the i7 to 16GB will push the price to $1,799.

The Surface Book combines the either the sixth-generation Intel Core i5 or Core i7 processors with up to 12 hours of battery life. The 13.5-inch optically-bonded PixelSense Display delivers 267 dpi, with improved latency and parallax over other Surface offerings. The display is detachable from the Surface Book's keyboard, which can contain an optional discrete GPU. The new pen is compatible with the Surface Book.

The Surface Book stock configuration with an i5 processor, 128GB of PCI-E storage, and 8GB of RAM sells for $1,499. Adding a discrete GPU pushes the price to $1,899. The i7 model is only available available with the discrete GPU, with the base configuration with 8GB RAM and 256GB of storage starting at $2,099. Boosting the storage on the i7 to 512GB and the RAM to 16GB increases the price to $2,699.

Surface Book
Surface Book

( Last edited by NewsPoster; Oct 16, 2015 at 04:33 AM. )

coffeetime
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 6, 2015, 05:15 PM

Surface Book? Wow. Sound so familiar and I just can't pinpoint where I heard it before?

Mr. Strat
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 6, 2015, 06:52 PM

Backlit keyboard...glass trackpad...where did those innovations come from?

$1,500 and this is their MacBook Pro killer?

Forum Links
Forum Rules