Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Chicago Apple store PICS

Chicago Apple store PICS
SeSawaya
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2003, 12:40 AM

Got there 2 hours early and was #240 in line. Awesome place. The line ended up streching around the block 1 1/2 times!!! I full Chicago city block. Amazing.

As we walked in nearly the entire staff was lined up on both sides of the door cheering. DJ was playing, then the band kicked in at 8pm.

iSight is freaking awesome but I am too poor to buy one. MANY people did though. They gave away 20 of them but i lost. I saw a 7 year old kid win one though. Grrrrrrr

No cafe right now. Upper roof has a garden and lecture hall (or something like that) but it wasnt open.

Anyhow, loved it. Cant wait to go back when its not horribly crowded.

See the Pictures in reverse order, here
http://homepage.mac.com/sonordrum/PhotoAlbum28.html

xyber233
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2003, 12:56 AM

Hey, thanks for the pics. I was unable to go to the store today but I will be going tomorrow. Looks like a great store! I can't wait .

Zigmanx001
Forum Regular
Jun 28, 2003, 01:05 AM

I see myself and a friend in one of your pics... very far off, but it's us :-). Good times, eh?
-Al LeVine
Shpadoinkle.net

marusin
Senior User
Jun 28, 2003, 02:11 AM

Hey all,

Here are some pics of my experience at the Apple Store tonight. I had a great time and took home an iSight (purchased, not won)... The thing is so much fun.. We had a blast chatting with folks on iSights there over the Rendezvous Network... I would love to chat with anyone here to test it out over broadband.. my aim name is [email protected]

http://www.marusin.com/gallery/AppleMichiganAvenue

Enjoy!

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 28, 2003, 02:22 AM

Wow, sweet store. That glass stairway rocks. I am very jeolous, the closest Apple stores to me are in Albany and Buffalo, three hours in either direction. I've noticed on Apple's website that they have had jobs listed for a Syracuse store, but as of yet, there is no Syracuse store. It's sad. Thanks for the pics.
Nemo me impune lacesset

RGB
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2003, 03:08 AM

I drove downtown, paid up the ass for parking, then walked down Michigan Ave. till i got to the store at around 8:30. Saw the line. Couldn't see the end of the line. Stared in the front window for a minute then left. I wasn't gonna wait in line there, I was with a friend who wasn't very into going. Wish I coulda gone in, looked like a fun party w/ the band!
( Last edited by RGB; Jun 28, 2003 at 03:16 AM. )

mathew_m
Senior User
Jun 28, 2003, 04:07 AM

I dig the Apple stores but you couldn't pay me to stand in line for one of the grand openings. Just head back there in a week and explore to your heart's content without the hub bub.

Also I'd hate to be one of the Apple store employees who has to wear one of those "I'm an Apple drone" T-shirts. Nothing says "I'm an out of work graphic artist" more than having a corporate logo silk screened on your work shirt.

shrink
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 28, 2003, 08:42 AM

Thanks for the pics. They look great. It looks like that place was really hopping. I also love the critical mass folks! I'm originally from Chicago and would have loved to check out the store this weekend. However, I will be visiting the weekend of the 4th so I'll try to pop in then (there are so many other things to do in Chicago, and unfortunately I don't think visiting the Apple store will be a priority). Can any New Yorkers tell us how the SOHO store compares? I've heard some great things about that place as well.

I think that store is going to get a ton of curious visitors and this will be great for Apple. The Mag Mile is mostly tourists, especially in the summer, so I don't think they'll be selliing a ton of systems (can you imagine trying to take an iMac box on a plane?). On second thought, that big CompUSA off Chicago Ave. just down the street seems to be doing just fine, so maybe the dowtown business folks or Goldcoast residents will be happy to spend their money there.

Finally, to the guy above who paid too much for parking - park a little up north next time (e.g., Fullerton, Belmont, Addison, Irving) and just take the Redline for $1.50. It is so much more convenient and cheaper.
( Last edited by shrink; Jun 28, 2003 at 10:10 AM. )

JonoG4
Senior User
Jun 28, 2003, 09:20 AM

Beautiful. I love the Apple logo window and the glass stairs. Now we just need some Apple stores in Canada! Of course, since I live in a crappy town, the closest possible Apple Store to me would probably be at least 5 hours away, if not more.
Mac mini 1.25/512/40
iBook 600/384/20/
iMac 233/288/4/

SeSawaya  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2003, 11:21 AM

I'd like to know how many isights they sold last night! Man EVERYONE had one.

The woman in front of me in line spent $850 in video games for her kid!! WOW!

The wost part for us was getting there. Being from Indiana the SKYWAY is having major work done. It had a 14 mile backup on the toll road!!! We took an alternate route (20) in. a easy 1:15 min drive turned into 3hrs. Taste of Chicago and a cubs/sox game didnt help.

NOt sure if I'd go to another opening (like there would be another one as cool around me) but this one was the one to go to.

Glad everyone liked the pics.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2003, 11:44 AM

Very nice pictures, SeSawaya thank you! It's awesome!

I just wish we had one like that here in Boston. All 3 of ours are in a Mall, they lack character!

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

SeSawaya  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2003, 12:12 PM

no problem WD, glad I could do it!

Here are some really great clean pics on Apples site

http://www.apple.com/retail/northmic.../gallery1.html

You can even see the "garden"

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2003, 12:24 PM

euphras
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2003, 12:35 PM

We need Apple stores here in Europe!!!

Apple, can you hear me?!?

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

ehjay
Jun 28, 2003, 01:22 PM

hey, you caught my dad, a friend of mine, and myself in one of your pics. heading down the stairs. (i'm wearing the Apple Store Woodfield shirt, if you care to try and spot me.)

that place was hopping.. i got there around 7, the line wrapped all the way back around the corner.. had to stand on opposite corner of the block for a while. i was actually the end of the line there for a while!

love the store, hope to go back again sometime soon and check it out when it's less crowded.

the guy right in front of me won an iSight.. i would've got the winning card had he not stepped in front of me!
Here's to the crazy ones..

tikki
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2003, 02:23 PM

Wow, that place is...amazing. I am definitely going to go there instead of Keystone to buy my G5

work: maczealots blog: carpeaqua

xyber233
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2003, 11:57 PM

I went there today and wow.....it was amazing. The location is great too. There was a huge crowd inside and everyone who walked by slowed down to peek in the store and a lot of them wandered in. The Sony store seemed a little emptier than before .

Forum Links
Forum Rules