Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Virtual pc6 and Panther

Virtual pc6 and Panther
djjava
Senior User
Jun 30, 2003, 01:05 PM

Anyone with the developer's copy of Panther try running Virtual PC 6??? any feedback on performance?
http://www.pardonmyenglish.com "Spreading the Conservative Word...In English Only."
RevA PB17 with Panther, Lacie d2 160gb, 4G iPod, Vectorworks 10.5

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 30, 2003, 01:06 PM

I'm curious as well.

bacchus
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 30, 2003, 01:25 PM

Yah i've been running it, seems fine. No big upgrade to speed or anything though.
http://www.repair-xp.com
-----------------------------
If you're looking for information on the best windows xp repair tools , check out www.repair-xp.com

Busemann
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2003, 03:13 PM

Originally posted by bacchus:
Yah i've been running it, seems fine. No big upgrade to speed or anything though.
Hmm are you sure? Mine crashes at startup all the time. (VPC 6.0.1)

trusted_content
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 30, 2003, 03:25 PM

Running it. Works fine. Can't tell if it's any snappier than it is in Jaguar, except my 'everything is snappier in Panther' sense will probably overwhelm reason and force me to say yes.
I offer strictly b2b web-based server-side enterprise solutions for growing e-business trusted content providers ;]

djjava  (op)
Senior User
Jun 30, 2003, 05:18 PM

Originally posted by trusted_content:
Running it. Works fine. Can't tell if it's any snappier than it is in Jaguar, except my 'everything is snappier in Panther' sense will probably overwhelm reason and force me to say yes.
i was kind of hoping for, "it runs sooooo much better in panther.... it's like running a real pc"
http://www.pardonmyenglish.com "Spreading the Conservative Word...In English Only."
RevA PB17 with Panther, Lacie d2 160gb, 4G iPod, Vectorworks 10.5

xyber233
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2003, 06:00 PM

Well hopefully the "Real PC" beta comes out tomorrow so we won't have to worry about VPC anymore . Please FWB, release it!

keston
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 30, 2003, 07:18 PM

I'm a bit more interested in how VPC runs on a G5 more than Panther specifically, or both maybe. Imagine if VPC were moved to 64-bit code? Do you thin we would see a big improvement? Ignoring for the moment how unlikely it is that Microsoft will update it for this.

lookmark
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2003, 12:52 AM

I don't think VPC would benefit all that much from being 64-bit native, other than having access to +4GB of RAM.

The G5, on the other hand, I think will make a big difference.

aktive
Jul 1, 2003, 03:35 PM

I can vouch for vpc6 running in Panther. It seems to run fine, don't know about it running faster, but it certainly runs the same speed at least.
"...because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones that do."

Mac007
Forum Regular
Jul 1, 2003, 04:48 PM

From my experience I would say VPC would run faster on a G5 since I've seen it run on different G4 processors and when the speed of the processor went up so did VPC's performance. Eventually VPC will run fast enough for most everything except of course those holographic total emersion video games coming out in the next 100 years.
It is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness

brainchild2b
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 1, 2003, 04:55 PM

Why would you us virtual pc? That's wacked. What is it like $180? You can buy a decent pc for $200 and slip it under your desk, just get a switch and your mac becomes and instant "pc" at the touch of a button. Oh, and it will be 500000000000000000000000% faster than virtual pc.

Honestly people.

xyber233
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2003, 05:09 PM

I think you are exaggerating a little. Anyways, the point is to have one computer not 2. So if I travel with a powerbook, I should drag along a "$200" computer?

Honestly people.

brainchild2b
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 1, 2003, 05:18 PM

obviously that would exclude a laptop.

alternate_bit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 3, 2003, 02:14 AM

Originally posted by brainchild2b:
Why would you us virtual pc? That's wacked. What is it like $180? You can buy a decent pc for $200 and slip it under your desk, just get a switch and your mac becomes and instant "pc" at the touch of a button. Oh, and it will be 500000000000000000000000% faster than virtual pc.

Honestly people.

the cheapest adc 'switch' you're talking about is $326.

tikki
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2003, 02:35 AM

Originally posted by brainchild2b:

Honestly people.
That's debatable. $200 PCs are horrible underpowered.

work: maczealots blog: carpeaqua

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 3, 2003, 02:48 AM

Originally posted by tikki:
That's debatable. $200 PCs are horrible underpowered.
You're right that it's debatable. You can build a $200 PC that's not too shabby. It all depends on what parts you pick out.

keston
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 3, 2003, 07:06 AM

Yes, but i'd rather have ONE machine at my desk that stinks to high heaven hell of style, than have a PC/Box that looks like "it tried hard, but falls on its ugly face". For what i use it for, I'm very content fire up VPC when i have to do some dev/testing or to use a particular PC app. I try to keep my crib all in style, the pc just doesn't do that (inside or out).

thefamousmred
Jul 3, 2003, 09:55 AM

Originally posted by keston:
Yes, but i'd rather have ONE machine at my desk that stinks to high heaven hell of style, than have a PC/Box that looks like "it tried hard, but falls on its ugly face".
....and don't forget that you can run MULTIPLE virtual PCs at the same time. If I need to test something on (say) Linux, Win 98, WinME, Win2k, WinXP Home, and WinXP Pro, does it make more sense to buy 6 $200 computers or one copy of VPC with a couple of OS packs?

Do those 6 $200 computers all come with an undo feature that lets me painlessly revert the HDD to a known good state so I don't have to worry about clearing out registry keys before testing my program's installation process for the umpteenth time?

Do those 6 $200 computers require more or less space than a single computer running VPC? Do they require more or less support hardware (monitor/keyboard/mouse/KVM/extra hub/extra power bus)? Do they require more or less electricity? Do they produce more or less heat than a single computer running VPC?

That's what I thought. I wish people would shut up about how VPC is crap and you should just buy a cheap PC. It happens in all of the VPC threads. It's hardly constructive, and it makes you sound like an idiot.

Forum Links
Forum Rules