Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Panther TextEdit opens/saves Word!

Panther TextEdit opens/saves Word!
iJed
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 15, 2003, 11:07 PM

I've just noticed that TextEdit on Panther can save and open Word documents! I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before but I haven't seen it anywhere.

I'd post and image but I don't want to put it on my .Mac space since Apple may be none to happy. Maybe someone else would?

xyber233
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2003, 11:35 PM

Doesn't it only work with basic Word files? I don't think tables and pictures would work. I could be wrong though.

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2003, 11:35 PM

Thanks for the confirmation. It has been mentioned, but not that often. I wonder how well it reads complex Word docs, those with tables, etc. This is a good thing, as I had to install Word on ~ 10 macs to read docs from authors, edit, and save. That cost quite a bit of money for our company and this could have saved us money to buy new G5s if it was implemented in Jag.

edit : I see I wasn't the only one who wondered about tables.

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2003, 04:56 AM

I still somehow this feature as a "WordPad" within TextEdit. It would be nice if Apple gets off its rear and update AW to be able to read tables and images and to be able to send them back-and-forth.

iJed  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 16, 2003, 05:11 AM

Originally posted by xyber233:
Doesn't it only work with basic Word files? I don't think tables and pictures would work. I could be wrong though.
It certainly does not seem to be able to save files with pictures in its current state but it may be possible to open them. Tables also do not work correctly. They just display as a single page with everything that was in a table just put below the last part.

Still having .doc support, even if its rather basic, is going to make things a lot easier in general for Mac users.

Forum Links
Forum Rules