Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > AOL for OSX and Windows Media player? So Old!

AOL for OSX and Windows Media player? So Old!
hldan
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2003, 11:41 AM

Does anyone have any idea why AOL makes no 8.0 or 9.0 version for the Mac and Microsoft has made no efffort to update the Windows Media player? I thought Microsoft had a dedicated Mac Business Unit?
Apple certainly makes their latest version of
Quicktime player for Windows so why is the Mac community stuck with old versions of their software? Microsoft is rude but why AOL? Why do they cater to Windows?
Is Apple having licensing issues?

Anyone have any answer?
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

DBvader
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 24, 2003, 11:46 AM

i thought i read not too long ago, that media player is being updated soon. i dont use aol, so i dont care what its status on the platform is.
"Take a little dope...and walk out in the air"

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jul 24, 2003, 12:02 PM

AOL usually makes the BIG jumps for Mac. It will go from 3 to 5 and skip the little stuff (no big deal)

WiMP 9 is new and will be out for the mac in a few months (or so I hear)

xyber233
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2003, 12:35 PM

Didn't AOL stop numbering their versions for OS X and just add features to the current version? Anyways, I heard that a new WMP is in the works to play WMP 9 files.

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 24, 2003, 12:38 PM

Originally posted by hldan:
Microsoft has made no efffort to update the Windows Media player? I thought Microsoft had a dedicated Mac Business Unit?
I don't think Windows Media Player for Mac is a business really. I guess that might explain why Microsoft is not in a hurry updating it.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jul 24, 2003, 01:12 PM

AOL's OSX versions use a different numbering system than the Windows versions do. The most recent OSX client is actually roughly equivalent to their 8.0 Plus release.

As for WiMP, I don't know. Microsoft has a dedicated Mac business unit, but they don't make WiMP for Mac.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

JLL
Professional Poster
Jul 24, 2003, 01:37 PM

WMP9 was shown at WWDC.
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2003, 01:42 PM

Originally posted by JLL:
WMP9 was shown at WWDC.
Interesting. I read rumors it was coming this fall, but if it was shown, it might be coming true.

ckohler
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 24, 2003, 01:52 PM

Can you post any details about it? Such as the interface? Did they fix the legacy carbon problems like video skipping when accessing menus or moving the window?

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2003, 02:31 PM

Originally posted by ckohler:
Can you post any details about it? Such as the interface? Did they fix the legacy carbon problems like video skipping when accessing menus or moving the window?
Here's an article, but nothing on the user experience yet.
http://www.activewin.com/awin/commen...=18834&Group=1

waffffffle
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2003, 03:28 PM

The current version of AOL for OS X is roughly equivalent to AOL 8 as was mentioned. I think the current version for it is actually 10.2.something.

Unfortunately there is no equivalent to AOL for Broadband for OS X which means that all of the exclusive content that AOL is advertising is offered to Mac users in extremely low quality. My friends won the AOL first break contest at keyword: First Break but if you watch their sessions performance from a Mac the quality is terrible, while if you watch from a PC broadband connection the quality is superb.

hldan  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2003, 01:50 AM

Originally posted by waffffffle:
The current version of AOL for OS X is roughly equivalent to AOL 8 as was mentioned. I think the current version for it is actually 10.2.something.

Unfortunately there is no equivalent to AOL for Broadband for OS X which means that all of the exclusive content that AOL is advertising is offered to Mac users in extremely low quality. My friends won the AOL first break contest at keyword: First Break but if you watch their sessions performance from a Mac the quality is terrible, while if you watch from a PC broadband connection the quality is superb.

Thanks so much for everyone's help. I wasn't aware of WinMP9 coming out for the Mac. great help in this forum. Much appreciated.
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

clarkgoble
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2003, 07:37 AM

Doesn't MPlayer play WMP9 files?

tikki
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2003, 06:25 PM

Originally posted by xyber233:
Anyways, I heard that a new WMP is in the works to play WMP 9 files.
Yeah like a year and a half after the tech was released...ridiculous.

work: maczealots blog: carpeaqua

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 25, 2003, 08:21 PM

AOL user here..
On the Mac side... the latest version is just ok compares to the Windows' beta "AOL 9.0 Optimized" version.

I couldn't get the SPAM folder on the latest Mac version, but I can on the beta AOL 9.0 optimized version.

The AOL 9.0 optimized version is fine.. but I dislike how AOL somehow moved all the content on their welcome screen. On the other hand, the Mac version is much more simple and intuitive.

Don't forget AOL adds way too many junkie stuff to the hard drive.. on the Windows side.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 25, 2003, 11:38 PM

No clue about AOL, Win Media... who cares? Nearly everythingg worth seeing that isn't offered through quicktime is offered through WMP or Real One. Hence use Real One, it's actually a decent player.

tikki
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2003, 11:56 PM

Originally posted by Superchic[k]en:
Win Media... who cares? Nearly everythingg worth seeing that isn't offered through quicktime is offered through WMP or Real One. Hence use Real One, it's actually a decent player.
I care because whether or not you think real or quicktime are better formats, many are using WMP9 for their codecs of choice. I don't want to be limited just because I use a Macintosh.

work: maczealots blog: carpeaqua

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jul 26, 2003, 12:10 PM

Originally posted by JLL:
WMP9 was shown at WWDC.
so?
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

JLL
Professional Poster
Jul 26, 2003, 12:25 PM

Originally posted by voodoo:
so?

JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

Phat Bastard
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 26, 2003, 06:49 PM

MPlayer does not play WM version 9 content.

And you'd be surprised at how much out there is optimized for WiMP 9, Real One and Quicktime don't completely cover everything. There is definitely a need for a WiMP for OS X.

Funny thing is, I heard from a site that offers WM content that they were told WiMP 9 for OS X was coming out in the spring of 2003. So I don't even expect the app to come out in the fall, like we are now being led to believe. Micro$oft lies.
The world needs more Canada.
PB 12" 867 MHz, 640 MB RAM, AE, OS 10.4.2
Black iPod nano 4GB

Forum Links
Forum Rules