Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Review: Phiaton BT220 Noise Cancelling headphones

Review: Phiaton BT220 Noise Cancelling headphones
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Aug 17, 2015, 10:08 AM

How many times during your day do you wish you could catch a bit of peace and quiet, but barring secluding yourself in a bunker underground, there's seemingly no way to do it? For us, that's surprisingly often. With construction, air travel, bus travel, humming HVAC systems, and buzzing lights, it's enough to drive a person crazy. If you're tired of losing the battle for silence, check out our review for the Phiaton BT 220 Noise Cancelling Earphones.

( Last edited by NewsPoster; Aug 17, 2015 at 10:47 AM. )

FreshFacedRecruit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 22, 2015, 03:11 PM

I bought these on similar reviews I read on the Net. Don't believe them! Sound quality is on par with the absolute cheapest earbuds out there. With NC on, you get an eery 'echo' microphone effect from the earphone cords along the split portion going up to the ears.

Unbelievable that any1 can say these have decent quality sound for music? While I was able to get 100+feet range with the BT...surprisingly, that's about the only thing I could rate as a possible positive.

BT is nice, but if you want anything remotely like music quality sound, you'd better give the more expensive Bose QuietComfort 20i earbuds a try(which this review, said of those, the SQ is only *average* for the Bose> The Best Noise-Cancelling In-Ear Headphones | The Wirecutter). LIke my old Senn HD457 over the ear HP's, the wires to either side of the earbuds are attached @ ea piece by such flimsy rubber connectors that sooner or later, you will pull the wires out of that area/split the rubber connector away from the earbud housing, pretty much necessitating replacement of the whole unit...ouch, expensive! Would be nice if the wires were detachable, so you could accidentally pull them out, then plug back in.

I do not expect even the level of SQ as those old HD457, but a better analogy is compare the sound of recent MBP built in speakers playing; even at lower volumes, to any dedicated home speaker system... eh, night and day, the difference is HUGE.

I don't expect the NC earbuds to equal $1,000 amped earbuds, aka IEMs (in-ear-monitors, lol). But the Phiaton's are not even 1/100th the level, truly bland, almost mono quality, like listening to the built-in speakers of a 1990's laptop (cheap 1 @that). If you are even the slightest choosy about sound quality, don't believe the reviews about these Phiaton's, SQ is so poor, it's not even ...bleh /end rant

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Aug 22, 2015, 04:30 PM

In my experience with the same set, quality is way better than "the absolute cheapest earbuds out there." There is a clear and obvious difference between these and Apple EarPods, which are way better than buds.

Music experience is very subjective, that's for sure.

Forum Links
Forum Rules