Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBookSE, no VGA out?

iBookSE, no VGA out?
Rave
Mar 5, 2001, 09:52 AM

Hi all, I'm in the market for a new Mac and am considering an iBook SE.
From reading Apple's lit all I've found is that the iBook has composite video out.
Is there an easy way to hook this puppy up to a regular monitor when I'm at home?
I'd be connecting it to some kind of KVM switch to share a monitor with my PC.
Any one doing anything like this, or have any ideas?

TIA,
Justin

Steph
Forum Regular
Mar 5, 2001, 12:02 PM

Sorry, but I don't think there is any easy way to hook the iBook up to a regular monitor. I don't know if there is any hard way to do it, either. The only video-out solution is the composite video, I'm afraid.

I use my iBook at home and at work, I know some people complain about the 12" screen, but I find it quite usable, whether at work (on a stand, on a desk) or at home (on a coffee table, or desk, or on my belly in bed -- hooray for Airport).

At work I have it on a 'Uniriser' stand (which does help a whole lot for long periods of use), with a regular iMac keyboard and mouse, it works just fine for me.

-Stephanie

x user
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2001, 01:05 PM

I think that the iBook isn't what you want. I have one and it is great, but I don't think there is a way to conenct a monitor to it. If you REALLY need that capiblility you might consider a Powerbook G3 (I assume that money is a issue). Many Pismo models are still availible brand new and they have a bigger screen, VGA out, 2 USB, 2 Firewire, they will be about the price of an iBook SE and they are probably worth it.

kiskiboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 5, 2001, 11:23 PM

Love the iBook but the lack of VGA out is the one minus in my opinion.

------------------
I want an Apple PDA!!
www.creighton.edu

PeteWK
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 6, 2001, 02:03 AM

Hi Justin. The Firewire iBooks can be hooked up to your TV with the composite out. You can hook them up to a Powerpoint projector that has the standard video ports (white, red and yellow RCA). But the resolution is rather poor. That's kinda the thing. Apple could put together the machine and sell it for less because it has less stuff in it. The VGA out in the Pismo puts out around 768X1024. The video out on the iBook is about half of that. And if you look at the specs you'll notice that TVs are about half the resolution of CRTs.

PeteWK

Rave  (op)
Mar 6, 2001, 09:36 AM

Thanks or all the replies everyone. I don't think this is a deal breaker for me, but video mirroring to my PC monitor would be nice,
Since I've got all your attention, has anyone gone the refurb route?
If so, how was your experience?

Peace

kiskiboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 6, 2001, 04:43 PM

If you wait a few months until they announce new iBooks you could probably get the current model brand new for refurbished prices.

------------------
I want an Apple PDA!!
www.creighton.edu

Forum Links
Forum Rules