Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Superdrive woes. I need a little info plz :)

Superdrive woes. I need a little info plz :)
Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Jan 22, 2003, 04:37 AM

Ok, I was wondering about my G4 because it's DVR-103PB rips at 4x (caps at 6x) in itunes, and this is with default settings.

So I hooked up a really cheap cd drive I had in one of my pcs. The result was stunning. 13x cap, and the cpu got more activity. The average was 11x, and it started at 6x. Way too interesting.

Compared to the superdrive which starts at 3.8x or lower, and caps at 6x. Something's fishy here.

Anyone have a DVR-103 that can check this out? I'm using MP, velocity, and 160kbps recording in itunes. DVR-104 tests would be handy too.
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

raferx
Senior User
Jan 22, 2003, 04:54 AM

DAE is the culprit from what I gathered from previous threads on this... different drives have vastly different numbers, I have the A04, and can get as high 29x when ripping to mp3 at 256kbs. Others have reported lower numbers with that drive though. Apparently the A03 has very poor DAE numbers, my buddy's DP800 w/A03 maxes out at around 11x. Check previous threads, and see if that sheds more light on the subject for you.
Cheers,
raferx

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2003, 08:11 AM

The A03 is indeed a slow CD drive when it comes to extracting audio for MP3s. Mine does about 6x-11x at best. Get a DVR-105 and see what happens.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Mac Zealot  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 23, 2003, 05:47 PM

But mine is only getting 6x at most. :'(
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

wapangy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2003, 11:49 PM

I only get 4-5 with my G4 400 and A03, it also depends on CPU speed, not just the drive

Mac Zealot  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 24, 2003, 01:14 AM

Yeah but like I said I have a dual 800 g4. This should NOT be getting the same speeds as a single 400 o_O

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 24, 2003, 01:23 AM

Originally posted by Mac Zealot:
Yeah but like I said I have a dual 800 g4. This should NOT be getting the same speeds as a single 400 o_O
Depends. There are two main things that limit rip and encode speeds. Not surprisingly, they are the rip speed and the encode speed.

A 1234213423 GHz G4 can't rip any faster than a A03 lets it. Similarly, a 100 MHz G4 would hold back an A03.

If you're only getting 6X rips, then a 400 MHz G4 could keep up. However, getting a dual 1.25 GHz G4 wouldn't help you go faster.

Too bad for you... My TiBook with SD goes up to 19X with my settings.

Mac Zealot  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 24, 2003, 02:28 AM

Eug: not so.. there's posts of up to 11x... what I get on my cheap cd drive.

Forum Links
Forum Rules