Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 12" screen coming apart?

12" screen coming apart?
Rivak
Forum Regular
Mar 3, 2003, 09:31 PM

So Iíve had my 12Ē PowerBook for a little over a week now. So far I have only 2 small problems. The first one is that the battery gauge seems to slowly go down while I have my PowerBook plugged in. I havenít really calculated it, but Iíd say it went down 5% after 48 hours of being plugged in. if I unplug it and drain the battery and then plug it back in, it will charge back up to 99%, but then the process starts all over. I donít use battery power all that often, but itís just something weird I noticed.

My next problem is also kind of minor, but Iíll be damned if I didnít anticipate this happening [to someone]. On the right side of the screen, where the plastic [airport antenna?] thing meets the back of the screen, there is a 1/16th inch gap between the plastic and the aluminum. The aluminum and plastic seem to be separating, and I can see inside, and see behind the LCD. Now I donít know how the screen casing in constructed, but from what Iíve seen, it looks like the aluminum is joined to the plastic with some sort of adhesive. I can press them together, and after a few seconds they will spread apart again.

Iíve put some pictures online so you can see the difference between the right side and the left.

Is this happening to anyone else? Does anyone know how the LCD casing is constructed? [are there just screws in the corners and adhesive along the edges?] Any thoughts on this?

And just to make it clear: I am not complaining about the build quality of this PowerBook. Other than this small flaw, I think this is one of the most well constructed laptops I have ever come across. I donít really think this particular flaw is a huge problem, and I am in no way complaining about it or Apple, so thereís no need to wave the ďrev A flagĒ and flame me for complaining about a rev A which is ďbound to have its batch of problems.Ē

roders
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2003, 10:44 PM

In my view this is not normal, or "acceptable" and will only likely get worse, not better over time.
I'm also certain Apple will repair this and if your lucky and put up a polite but "smelly" stink (does anyone have any idea what I'm trying to say here?!) ithink they might even replace the unit for you.
If you don't mind then thats your perogative, but if my AluBook did that I would be SOOOOOOOO pissed!
P.S I really would get it seen to under warranty.

danbrew
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 3, 2003, 10:47 PM

I'd freak if my new PB looked like that. Great photo, btw. There is *no* way that I'd leave well enough alone - I'd be all over Apple to repair/replace.

Rivak  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 3, 2003, 11:49 PM

I would call Apple and make a stink, but Iíve already gone through so much to get this PowerBook [my first one arrived DOA and I had to wait 2 more weeks to get a functional one], and quite frankly, I donít want to give my computer up!

You are right though, this should not be acceptable. However, if I were to call Apple and they said theyíd replace the unit for me, Iíd be taking a risk. Who knows what problems my new unit would have? Iíve read a lot of reports of 12Ē PBís with weird issues, Iíve also read a lot of reports of 12Ē PBís with no problems whatsoever. Iíd just hate to give up my PowerBook thatís 98% perfect, for one thatís 75% perfect, you know what I mean?

peternj
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 4, 2003, 12:11 AM

Please send this powerbook back to be repaired. It is not normal. My powerbook screen is tight, tighter than any picture of yours. There is no seperation.

Also the battery does not seem to be okay either.

This is a faulty product.

good luck.

Rivak  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 5, 2003, 01:03 AM

i wouldn't consider it faulty. after all, it's a computer remember? everything else works, the aluminum casing is just a little wonky.

i'd be interested in what more people think about this...

dur
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 5, 2003, 04:48 AM

It's not only a problem with the plastic on the lcd, but also a problem with the plastic on the unit itself. My Powerbook as small gaps all around the unit. I'm feeling as if I'm paying Apple $1800 to become a product tester

So far I've had the following problems:
- hinge button silver 'paint' darkening/peeling
- bad trackpad button
- plastic pieces separating from aluminum
- weird resuming from sleep problems (open screen, unit turns on, then goes back to sleep again)

I really want to take my unit in for service, but I need it for work at this moment

I can see myself in a switch-back commercial complaining about how both Apple products I've owned have had QA problems ... Oh, and with OS X, I don't get OS crashes like Windows, but I DO get applications not responding and crashes ALL the time.

Sorry, I sometimes feel like the only reason why I'm sticking to my PB just b/c it looks good

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 5, 2003, 04:51 AM

Originally posted by Rivak:
i wouldn't consider it faulty. after all, it's a computer remember? everything else works, the aluminum casing is just a little wonky.

i'd be interested in what more people think about this...
If I paid $2000 for anything that started to come apart at the seams within a few weeks, I'd be raising hell.

As it is, I'm paying $2600 for mine (640 MB, 60 GB, SuperDrive, Airport Extreme, + VATax), and I'll be damned if the thing isn't going straight back for something like that.

-s*

dur
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 5, 2003, 05:05 AM

Also, it's been such common knowledge now about Apple and the quality of their products, that some people are avoiding their Rev A units. Apple's profit maxizing scheme of letting the lowest bidders manufacture their products (thus lower quality products), but charging a premium for their computers... is really pissing off those customers who are getting defective units.

Forum Links
Forum Rules