Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Advice for 17" purchasers

Advice for 17" purchasers
sphondyloid
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 19, 2003, 06:52 PM

I'm typing this on my new 17-inch Al. I'm a little surprised to be using it, because my order with the Apple Online store was placed 3/3/03. The reason I've gotten my laptop so quickly is that I happened to walk into an Apple store at just the right moment (as they were unloading 4 'Books). So I cancelled my online order and bought in-store.

It seems pretty unfair to me that I'm sitting here with my Al while people with January orders are still waiting. I suppose that there's nothing to do to change Apple's policies about that, but I wanted to let everybody know that stalking 17 inchers at your local Apple store might result in your getting one of these beautiful machines FAST. At the very least, get on the phone and put your name on the call list. Right after I got home, the other Chicago-area Apple store called me and asked if I wanted to reserve one of the 'Books coming in Friday.

DorkMon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 19, 2003, 06:59 PM

I did the same i placed my name on the call list for the local apple store. I still have my order the macconnection though but after they said April 15th it kinda made me wonder. I figure i wont be getting the extra 512 of ram but hey its my first mac and i can always buy more ram in the future. I just need my pretty 17" of pure joy to play with
-----------------------------------
17" Powerbook w/ 512 Ram

Over Achiever
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 19, 2003, 07:12 PM

I on the other hand never intended to order online...then again, not having a credit card tends to limit my possibilities.

They (the apple store) did call today, but unfortunately I needed to get the money out of a savings account, and well the bank was closed. Yeah, I know, I should have had the check ready, but it's too late for that now. Looks like I'll have to wait another day or two (at least I'll be prepared for the call next time).

-O.A.
"It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you got."

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2003, 07:14 PM

Grrr...this just isn't fair! Pre-order should be filled FIRST, thus encouraging pre-orders! Apple's business ethics anger me!

...Just kiddin'! Glad you're enjoying it!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

cgmpowers
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 19, 2003, 08:27 PM

I ordered mine about 3 hours after the expo that launched the product.. If I were you, I'd sleep with one eye opened...

Heh.. Seriously... I'm coming to break into your house and rearrange all the icons on your desktop and change the background to something hideous.

Christopher

p.s. I still haven't gotten a shipping confirmation, I am hoping tonight or tomorrow....either way, I don't expect it until Monday...

Originally posted by sphondyloid:
I'm typing this on my new 17-inch Al. I'm a little surprised to be using it, because my order with the Apple Online store was placed 3/3/03. The reason I've gotten my laptop so quickly is that I happened to walk into an Apple store at just the right moment (as they were unloading 4 'Books). So I cancelled my online order and bought in-store.

It seems pretty unfair to me that I'm sitting here with my Al while people with January orders are still waiting. I suppose that there's nothing to do to change Apple's policies about that, but I wanted to let everybody know that stalking 17 inchers at your local Apple store might result in your getting one of these beautiful machines FAST. At the very least, get on the phone and put your name on the call list. Right after I got home, the other Chicago-area Apple store called me and asked if I wanted to reserve one of the 'Books coming in Friday.

GeekyJeff
Forum Regular
Mar 19, 2003, 08:51 PM

I don't have an apple store near here. I ordered on 1/15 stock with an oob of 3/28. No tracking # for me yet.

SummitWynds
Mar 19, 2003, 09:00 PM

Sorry guys, Im typing on my new 17". I watched the Keynote at the Tampa Apple store and was sick. I had JUST bought a Ti. So when I got home to MA, about 5 days later. I sold the Ti and put my name in at the Rockingham NH (tax free) store. I was walking into the store (down the 1st aisle on the left) this morning just before 11 am when my cell phone rang, it was the Apple store calling to let me know that my 17" was in. I grabbed it, paid for it and was the 1st to walk out. It is awesome!!! I loved the Ti too, though. Had a 400, then the 1GHZ

nikescream
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 19, 2003, 09:28 PM

I just picked up my new 17inch PB from one of my local stores too!

I had ordered from Apple back in January...Then cancelled and ordered from Amazon..And then cancelled and bought it from the store.

You have to be quick though. I called the store at 2:35pm and was told they just got 10 in stock and couldn't put them on hold. When I bought mine at 3:45pm there was only one left!

I'm just so happy! Gonna miss my Pismo though...oh well.

Nike

javabeans
Forum Regular
Mar 19, 2003, 09:49 PM

Hm...I wonder if I can use the ADC Student membership once-a-life-time discount at Apple retails store. Anybody knows?

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2003, 09:51 PM

Originally posted by javabeans:
Hm...I wonder if I can use the ADC Student membership once-a-life-time discount at Apple retails store. Anybody knows?
Unfortunately, it's not possible. Online ordering is the only way to take advantage of the ADC Discount.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Forum Links
Forum Rules