Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Review of new eMac 1ghz w/ superdrive. It's great!!

Review of new eMac 1ghz w/ superdrive. It's great!!
bstieritz
May 25, 2003, 06:27 PM

*Attn., I've updated this review as of 6-12-03 to include my thoughts on the 1ghz emac after nearly a month of ownership. Have experienced no issues with crt "raster shift" (a common problem on older models) or feedback from the internal speakers. And, anyone considering the new emac do yourself a favor and get the Tilt 'n Swivel stand . . . trust me. *

Hello fellow mac addicts,

I'm mainly writing this review for those who may just be curious about the new 1ghz emac or deciding whether it might be for you . . . I also feel it my karmic duty to post my first impressions because I couldn't find a damn thing on the machine when I was thinking of buying one.

After a lot of a brain-racking over a new machine, the new 1ghz emac with the superdrive seemed to me the best decision in the long run. The superdrive offers great dvd burnability and the machine is an excellent value. I even haggled with the apple phone sales person (Lisendro) and was able to get a $100 credit in addition to my higher education price and a free canon printer.

Let me first start off by saying that apple phone sales rock. Lisendro was extremely helpful and courteous and the discount just made my day. Anyway, I ordered my emac and printer last thursday and was impressed at apple's free shipping deal (fedex ground) getting the package to my place by monday!! That's an impressive turnaround considering there was no charge. I knew the machine would only come with 256mb of sdram (not ddr like the imac) so my next visit was to crucial.com to order some ram. I snatched up a 512mb chip for 75 bucks (with coupon code) and free 2-day air shipping, also. The ram arrived at my house the same day as the computer and printer . . . nice.

Out of the box, the emac looked fantastic . . . mmmm, that refreshing "new mac smell." Everything was packed very nicely and well organized, not crammed into one compartment. Included with the machine is a redesigned keyboard, non-adjustable (unlike like the pro) and apple has moved the usb ports from the corners to the middle near where the usb cable connects to the machine. One cool/geek design feature of the new keyboard is the lip of plastic surrounding the keyboard. This alone wouldn't be very exciting but after closer inspection I see that each key is suspended and surrounded by sealed plastic. What does this mean to the average joe? If you knock a glass of soda into your keyboard during your next drunken stuper, not only will the liquid be contained in the keyboard so as not to bleed over your desk and precious electronics but since the keys are suspended upwards, the circuitry will not be affected by the spill. Hard to describe without actually seeing but believe me this is a good thing.

Other stuff that came with the machine: modem cable, blank dvd-r, blank cd-r, user manual and warranty info, back up and restore discs and a copy of the current 2003 WorldBook Encyclopedia Media Cd. No rebate forms for the printer included . . . I found out later you need to visit apple's website to get them.

After connecting all the cables, I powered up the emac and was pleasantly surprised at the very fast startup time. The 1ghz processor really flies. I'd estimate with the stock ram it only took about 15-20 seconds to startup. Sure beats staring at the beachball of doom for 4 minutes, doesn't it?

On screen, you are first greeted with some sweet music to help get you through the apple registration process, where you will set up your internet connection. I was offered 12 free issues of MacWorld magazine if I completed apple's registration . . . why the heck not?? free = smile

Upgrading the ram in the emac is painfully simple. Just turn off the machine, flip it on it's front, unsrew one screw holding the little door on the bottom and your set. One comment about the screw . . . I've read a lot about this screw giving people trouble, even stripping so bad they had to farking drill the thing off to remove the door. I think apple has heard the cries because the new screw is very heavy duty and it's philips-head, not flat-head. After the ram upgrade, I restarted (which blazed through in about 5-10 seconds!!) and checked to make sure the machine had recognized my previous actions. You could already tell she liked the extra memory . . . I could almost hear her saying "thanks brian."

I next decided to check out the speakers. Not too bad but planning on grabing the iSub ($50) for a little extra low-end. Included speakers are good for everyday tasks, but for music there is no contention. Also, some people have commented on the speakers producing feedback to the moniter at high volumes. This has not happened to me. I have turned them up to full volume and have not witnessed any screen changes. There is a small issue that does arise when turning up the speakers. The plastic surounding the speakers likes to vibrate just a little bit . . . a little annoying (however, with the addition of the tilt and swivel stand, this problem has completely disappeared!). Oh, and I've read a lot about the fan on the back of the machine being too loud. I won't lie to you, it's not as quiet as an imac, but it's not that bad. I'd compare it to a box fan turned on in the corner of your apartment on the lowest setting. You are aware that it's there but you sort of drown it out after a while. I certainly wouldn't let it keep you from buying the machine.

Some have talked about the screen flaking out when the resolution is adjusted to the highest setting. This has apparently been fixed because I've tried the monitor on its highest allowable setting (1280x 960 at 72Hz) have experienced no problems. I would have kept it there for the extra screen real estate but the refresh rate is painfully low and I kept getting headaches from looking at it. I kicked it down to the next highest, which is still very crisp and it's kept me satisfied. If you plan to compare the crt monitor to the imac's LCD, don't do it. There is no question the LCD of the imac is much crisper and brighter . . . but CRT's are reliable and much cheaper.

After installing a few software titles like Office X, Photoshop, and Studio MX, the printer was next. An easy install, the i850 is great for the money. Unfortunetly, the driver disc included with the printer are for the OS 9 install, so if you are running OS X you'll have to chuck the cd and visit Canon's support website for the updated OS X drivers. Tried it out by printing a few black and white documents and one 4 x 6 photo of my cat (Leo) and both came out fast and good quality. The printer even does borderless pics . . . Leo approved of his pic.

Other first impressions of the machine are positive. Its more stream-lined than the average 17-inch crt and is less deep than most. Apple ditched the removable speaker grills, now permanently fixed; probably a good thing. I bet they're fun to play with for a mischievous kitty. OS X is a great program. Very smooth-running and friendly on the eyes. For linux-junkies, the "terminal" is a great place to hang out. iTunes is great for music and syncing with your ipod. For surfing, don't feel like you need to stick with microsoft's bloated internet browser, IE; Safari and Mozilla are great alternatives and are very stable (tabbed browsing is the way to go). In the end, I'm very happy with the emac and would recommend it to anyone looking for a G4, sweet as heck machine, for right around $1000

- UPDATED TEXT AS OF JUNE 8 2003 -

So, I've owned my emac for nearly a month now and it still manages to put a smile on my face. Novelty has worn off a bit, however. But, this is far from a novelty machine and my feeling is still of complete satisfaction.

Since my original review I've done more software installation; mainly design titles such as Acrobat, InDesign, and Illustrator. They run very smooth on the G4. Just an FYI, anyone looking for a decent ftp client, techtv.com just did a writeup of "Transmit" for mac. I've tried it and think it's a great program. Anyone into webdesign looking for a better ftp alternative, try it.

I've also made 2 hardware upgrades. I ditched the single-button piece of shite (sorry apple, it's true) and indulged in the Logitech MX500 ($50 bucks most retail stores however check ebay to get up to 20 bucks knocked off the retail price). Not a fan of wireless or the MX700 would have been my first choice (fantastic for all you wireless junkies). The MX500 is very nice . . . great feel and very smooth with ample programmable buttons.

Only other hardware indulgence was the emac tilt n' swivel by apple. Holy Schmoly . . . this thing is great!! Check out ebay to score one for about 35 bucks, normally $69 retail, and let me tell you it makes a HUGE difference with comfort level. Before I installed the stand, my emac sat about 2-3 inches lower on my desk and was permanetly positioned in a very uncomfortable upwards tilt, producing an incredible amount of glare from the artificial light in my apartment. After installing not only is the emac up to eye level, but I can tilt the screen down just a hair so it doesn't catch so much glare. It also makes turning the emac easy as pie. Made of a really strong Lexan plastic (think Nalgene water bottle) it truely compliments the emac's design. I really can't say enough about the tilt n' swivel . . . If there was one thing I'm thankful I bought for my computer (other than the ram upgrade) it would be this stand.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't, on occasion, still dream about a 17 inch iMac sitting on my desk (don't tell my emac) but, the 1799.00 sticker price keeps me in check and thankful for my decision to go with the emac instead.

Good luck in your decision and I hope this review has helped.
PS: thanks for all your emails

cheers,
brian
( Last edited by bstieritz; Jun 12, 2003 at 03:41 AM. )

Johnnyboysmac
Forum Regular
May 26, 2003, 05:29 AM

Hey,

Congrats on the new Machine. If I didn't already own my first ever Mac, a new 17" Imac, for the last 6 weeks, I'd be jealous,, heheh as it took me forever to make up my mind as a switcher, and every new "i've just got my new Mac" story filled me with a degree of lust and envy.

Great review, and thanks for sharing the out of the box experience; correlates very much with my own.

Cheers, and enjoy

Yours in Mac freedom

Johnboi....
Populist thinking exalts the simplistic and the ordinary

bstieritz  (op)
May 26, 2003, 11:59 AM

Originally posted by Johnnyboysmac:
Hey,

Congrats on the new Machine. If I didn't already own my first ever Mac, a new 17" Imac, for the last 6 weeks, I'd be jealous,, heheh as it took me forever to make up my mind as a switcher, and every new "i've just got my new Mac" story filled me with a degree of lust and envy.

Great review, and thanks for sharing the out of the box experience; correlates very much with my own.

Cheers, and enjoy

Yours in Mac freedom

Johnboi....

drooling . . . I totally lusted (and still am) after the new 17'' iMac. All the computer labs here on campus are well stocked with them but, the 600 dollar difference was too painful (you know, college tuition, books . . . food). The LCD screen is so beautiful, though. . . more drooling.

haha, anyway . . . thanks for your comments on the review. I know it's long and not that great, but I just really wanted to give anyone considering the new emac sort of a first-hand look at what the machine was like. I hope it helps anyone currently in the decision phase.

cheers,
brian

AssassyN
Professional Poster
May 26, 2003, 11:30 PM

Very nice review!!

And CONGRATS on your new machine! Best of luck with it!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

JLFanboy
Grizzled Veteran
May 29, 2003, 02:02 PM

bstieritz-

Congrats again. That sounds like a frickin' sweet system. Every now and then I peruse Apple.com to admire the Superdrive eMac. Definitely one of the best values Apple offers right now.

As per one of your comments, I have some advice. Avoid Soundsticks. I doubt they'll benefit your experience with the machine. Especially considering how expensive they are. I've gotta deal with the whole tuition thing too and for my money you can't go wrong with a simple set of Logitech or Labtec speakers. I've heard both and they sound incredible. The bass is phenomenal. And best of all you can get either for $40 bucks educational.

Granted, this is pretty small in comparison to your whole review/experience, but I thought I should mention it.

Good luck with the new machine!

-Fanboy

P.S. - I tells ya, it's getting harder and harder to justify to myself that my TiBook 400 is still a rockin' machine. Damn you and your eMac with its Superdrive-y goodness.

bstieritz  (op)
May 29, 2003, 04:22 PM

Originally posted by JLFanboy:
bstieritz-

As per one of your comments, I have some advice. Avoid Soundsticks. I doubt they'll benefit your experience with the machine. Especially considering how expensive they are. I've gotta deal with the whole tuition thing too and for my money you can't go wrong with a simple set of Logitech or Labtec speakers. I've heard both and they sound incredible. The bass is phenomenal. And best of all you can get either for $40 bucks educational.

JLFanboy,

thanks for the comments on the soundsticks . . . I was a little worried about them because I know the soundcard in the emac isn't that great . . . thought maybe I would be needlessly blowing my money on the soundsticks only to find out they sound less than adequate with my machine.

My campus computer store barely has any stock, so I'll make a trip to Microcenter or Bestbuy this weekend to look at some speakers. Where did you get yours for the 40 dollars educationally? Are you referring to your own campus computerstore?

Thanks for the comments, Fanboy!!

cheers,
brian
( Last edited by bstieritz; May 29, 2003 at 04:28 PM. )

the_glassman
Mac Elite
May 29, 2003, 11:08 PM

I'm still setting it up, but so far I'm very impressed with the machine. With the standard 256 mb ram it was painfully slow, I've updated it to 768 mb for now. I bought a stick at circuit city (yuck) and got a $20.00 mail in rebate. Now she zooms right along.
Why didn't apple include a firewire cable???

bstieritz  (op)
May 30, 2003, 12:42 AM

Originally posted by the_glassman:

Why didn't apple include a firewire cable???

That's great about your new machine. Doesn't the ram upgrade make all the difference (even though it ran great with the standard 256)? Good call on the lack of firewire, too.

And, what's up with only throwing in one dvd-r? I mean, at least give us a few to play around with. . . sheesh. Haha.

Anyway, have fun with your new emac and thanks for the comments.

cheers,
brian

JLFanboy
Grizzled Veteran
May 30, 2003, 12:33 PM

bstieritz-

Yeah, I just picked them up at my campus computer store. I'd highly recommend the Logitech Z340 2.1 speaker set. I couldn't find them at the Apple Education Store, but they're only $36 on Amazon with free shipping.

pliny
Mac Elite
May 31, 2003, 10:45 AM

bstieritz--

thanks for the review! good job with the $100 discount, that is great. how is the emac running? do you have time to do any tests over at macbench and post results?

I'm a fan of the emac myself, when i first saw them in the apple store I was very impressed with it, esp. the crispness and size of the crt at the high resolutions. as for the speakers, why not the apple pro?
i look in your general direction

the_glassman
Mac Elite
May 31, 2003, 09:19 PM

I put the stand on tonight, I can see why people would want to upgrade the memory before adding the stand.
Next question is, where in the hell is the developer tools??? Is it included on the DVD Backup Rom??? I really want to try some things out in project builder and it's no where to be found.
On a side note, I can't believe how hard it is to find a firewire cable around town, I went to Wal Mart and Office Depot and neither of them stock or have them. Though the both sell Firewire devices???
Office Depot has a great deal on DVD-R's, 10 for $24.95.

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2003, 12:09 PM

Well, I found the developer tools under //Applications/Installers, no more using Visual Studio.net to do my stuff.
Anyone know how to get an airport card into this thing?

HamSandwich
Jun 1, 2003, 01:45 PM

PHoynak
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 1, 2003, 07:06 PM

I am finally ordering mine tonight. The educational price is great. I am drooling just thinking about it. One question...how can I save my bookmarks from my iMac so I do not have to input them again?

Another thing is the 256 megs of ram enough or should I get more?

bstieritz  (op)
Jun 1, 2003, 10:58 PM

Originally posted by PHoynak:
I am finally ordering mine tonight. The educational price is great. I am drooling just thinking about it. One question...how can I save my bookmarks from my iMac so I do not have to input them again?

Another thing is the 256 megs of ram enough or should I get more?

phoynak,

definitely upgrade the ram. OS X loves it and you'll see an incredible performance increase. I have 768mb in my new emac and it made a huge difference from the stock 256mb.

Try www.crucial.com . . . I've purchased ram from them on 4 occassions and have never had problems (plus you can return if not satisfied . . . no questions asked).

As far as importing your bookmarks from your imac, not too sure about that. I know there's a quick way to do it because I just saw it mentioned in a magazine article the other day. The not-so-quick way would be just to burn them to a disc and import them into a new folder you create within Safari. I'm sure someone will post a better/quicker way soon enough, though.

Good luck with your new machine . . . I know you'll love it.

cheers,
brian

Justin216
Forum Regular
Jun 1, 2003, 11:08 PM

Need good priced Ram?
www.pricewatch.com

Check there for your cheapest prices on the 'net!

HamSandwich
Jun 2, 2003, 12:15 AM

mark9939
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 2, 2003, 08:36 PM

Originally posted by the_glassman:
I can't believe how hard it is to find a firewire cable around town...
Firewire cables (well most cables for that matter) are way overpriced in retail stores. Look on eBay for much better deals. Thats where I buy all my cables from.
MBP 1.83 GHz CD/iPod 30GB

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2003, 08:48 PM

Originally posted by mark9939:
Firewire cables (well most cables for that matter) are way overpriced in retail stores. Look on eBay for much better deals. Thats where I buy all my cables from.
Yes they are! I picked up a firewire and crossover (to transfer stuff from my ibook) cable today from a local electronics place. It cost 1/3 what circuit city wanted for a firewire cable.

cc_foo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 2, 2003, 10:13 PM

Originally posted by mark9939:
Cables are really overpriced. I tried to get a parallel printer cable for my PC. A$13 at an Officeworks store. They used to come with the damn printers for free.

Anyway, congratulations on the eMac. Sounds like the best Apple deal right now. Not too shabby.

bstieritz  (op)
Jun 2, 2003, 10:50 PM

Originally posted by cc_foo:
Cables are really overpriced. I tried to get a parallel printer cable for my PC. A$13 at an Officeworks store. They used to come with the damn printers for free.

Anyway, congratulations on the eMac. Sounds like the best Apple deal right now. Not too shabby.
cc_foo,

thanks for reading the review and your comments.

I agree about the cables for the printer. I had to blow 10 bucks on a usb cable for my new canon i850 because they were too cheap to throw one in the box. WTF?? Those things probably run 50 cents a piece in bulk. What's the world coming to?

cheers,
brian

PHoynak
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 2, 2003, 11:41 PM

I know the ram for the eMac is PC133 but should I get CL2 or CL3 or does it not matter?

Apple shipped it today from Harrisburg Pa...I should have it Tues....who in Harrisburg does their shipping?

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2003, 11:13 AM

Originally posted by PHoynak:
I know the ram for the eMac is PC133 but should I get CL2 or CL3 or does it not matter?

Apple shipped it today from Harrisburg Pa...I should have it Tues....who in Harrisburg does their shipping?
I don't think the CL2 or CL3 will make much of a difference, but if you can find better ram at a good price go for it!
Mine also came from Harrisburg, mine was shipped via Fedex ground. Both the stand and the eMac shipped on the same day, but I recieved the stand a day before the eMac.

PHoynak
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 3, 2003, 02:32 PM

I have to say I am impressed. I ordered the eMac Sunday night at 10pm. It arrived at 11:30am Tuesday with free ground shipping. The last time I ordered from Apple it took weeks.

From the little I did so far wih the machine I love it. The screen is super and the speed is good. I know that in a matter of weeks Apple will have something new and faster but I will be happy for a while with this.

theoden
Jun 8, 2003, 12:10 AM

I finally ordered my 1GHz Combo Drive eMac a mere 1.5 hours ago, and I'm still really excited. Many thanks and kudos to bstieritz for his great review, really helped in my decision. You honestly can't beat the price/performance. I ordered it along with the swivel stand and 512MB additional from crucial (CL2 was out of stock so I got the CL3).

I'm well overdue for this new machine anyhow (Currently on a Bondi Rev B 233 iMac).

I'll be back to post my first impressions and soon as it comes in! Thanks again for the review and all the comments opinions following!

superamit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 8, 2003, 06:43 AM

Looks like a few others on this thread went and bought an eMac. I'm thinking of doing the same and am wondering if anyone else has had luck getting the same deal the original reviewer did.

PHoynak
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 8, 2003, 03:05 PM

I have a weird request. My kids ripped apart the packing to my eMac. Is there a place where I could get new packaging? I always save the cartons in case I sell it later. Needless to say someone's kids are in the doghouse.

SpeedRacer
Senior User
Jun 8, 2003, 05:55 PM

I agree with the above posts: the new eMacs are a great buy. They even remain a competitive against the pro line until Apple comes out with a major Tower update - particularly given that you can order 2-3 eMacs for the price of 1 Tower.

Frankly, i love everything about the new eMacs except:[list=1][*]Low display refresh rate at high resolutions[*]Fan noise versus iMac[/list=1]
Regarding speakers, if you've got an eMac or an iMac for matter, why not just snag $50 iSub to complement those internal speakers? These are the systems the iSub was designed for afterall.

I find the mention of nonremovable speaker grills an odd change. Can anyone here comment about fan noise of the new machines versus the old - any difference?

PHoynak
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 8, 2003, 06:39 PM

Compared to the PC's I work on and built you cannot even hear the fan. All in all I am the happiest I have ever been with a purchase of a computer.

zen
Jun 8, 2003, 08:36 PM

Great review! I'm definately sold on the eMac...that's a lot of machine for a good price...substantially less that the iMac, for instance!

Just wondering whether anybody had any suggestions for a dust cover for the eMac? I've found two on the net, one crappy one (looks like a tent!) and one from a Japanese site. Surely there must be more than this? Our eMac will go on a desk underneath a slightly leaky window - nothing major, but our iMac sometimes gets small water splatters against the sides if a heavy downpour arrives.

Zen

bstieritz  (op)
Jun 8, 2003, 09:09 PM

Originally posted by zen:
Great review! I'm definately sold on the eMac...that's a lot of machine for a good price...substantially less that the iMac, for instance!

Just wondering whether anybody had any suggestions for a dust cover for the eMac? I've found two on the net, one crappy one (looks like a tent!) and one from a Japanese site. Surely there must be more than this? Our eMac will go on a desk underneath a slightly leaky window - nothing major, but our iMac sometimes gets small water splatters against the sides if a heavy downpour arrives.

Zen

Zen . . .

Glad you enjoyed the review.

SHEESH, I thought I was the only guy on the planet that still uses dust covers for my machines. 10 years ago, you couldn't find a computer WITHOUT a dust cover, now you're lucky if you can even find one at a flea market. What happened?? When did we start not caring about treating our computers with the proper TLC?

As far as good places to get them, I'm having the same trouble your having. I did a search online but the only thing I came up with was somewhere up in Canada that looked they were making covers in their spare time, in the basement of their parent's house (pretty sure we saw the same link...the one that "looked like a tent").

Let me know if you find any reputable places to buy them . . . hopefully someone else sees this post and decides to share their secret source. Or, maybe the days of dust covers have truely come and gone.

cheers,
brian

theoden
Jun 11, 2003, 07:44 PM

My eMac arrived today, as well as the promotional printer (Canon i850), eMac Tilt and Swivel stand, and the memory upgrade from Crucial. I was quite happy to see it all arrived on the same day.

Anyone who's opened a new Mac knows how awesome it is, everything from the first look to the smell of the plastic.

I'm not going to attempt to rehash the review posted earlier, but I'd just like to let you all know how impressed I am by the machine I'd definately recommend it to anyone.

AndyNZ
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 13, 2003, 07:54 AM

Bought one two weeks ago for our school after finally convincing Board of Trustees that Apple was the way to go. (I've been with them since '88).
We had recently purchased a Sumsung 1Gib something PC for the office. Techs were in the school for 3 days figuring out to get it up and running!
When the eMac arrived, I couldn't wait to try it out. I followed the instructions, installed the software and in 15 minutes had it on the network, registered with Apple and ready to edit our first class DV!
Way to go, Apple.

Forum Links
Forum Rules