Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > using enlightenment with Xwindows

using enlightenment with Xwindows
kenyaecker
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 19, 2001, 09:24 AM

Okay. Thanks to everyone and there posts about getting this monster rolling. Fink installed and compiled "E" just fine and is now the default window manager when running X. However, there does not seem to be a way to access any apps (including Eterm) on the HD. There don't appear to be any app menus installed as mentioned in the "E" docs.

Can someone guide me in finding a way to be able to work with the program? How to access apps etc...? About all I can do is read the 'help docs.'

Ken

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2001, 11:44 AM

Click (and hold) anywhere on the desktop in Enlightenment and you'll get a menu that lets you access the X apps Enlightenment detects. You can click with the Apple key or the Option key for other menus, like themes.

I hope this helps!
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

epdeezy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 19, 2001, 08:01 PM

I dont know if this helps, but if you go into the term you can type:

Man NAME OF PROGRAM

and it will give you a list of how to use it...thats how it is in linuxPPC anyway...which i reccommend!!!!

good luck, and im not sure if that answered your question...but i hope it did...

EPD
EPD

zeltrio
Forum Regular
May 19, 2001, 09:49 PM

Originally posted by MacGorilla:
Click (and hold) anywhere on the desktop in Enlightenment and you'll get a menu that lets you access the X apps Enlightenment detects. You can click with the Apple key or the Option key for other menus, like themes.

I hope this helps!
the 'clicking and holding' technique isn't working for me...any other ideas?

------------------
"Fight and fear not for the gates of paradise lie under the shade of the sword!"
"A mighty maze! but not without a plan."
-Alexander Pope

theoden
May 19, 2001, 10:07 PM

Ultimate solution:
Buy an x86 box and install Linux and buy a three-button mouse =)

But, back to your question. Try some of the modifier keys like command or control.
Might help.
If that doesn't work, try heading to the command line and running xfree86 config to setup your mouse. Might find something useful there but probally not =)

if all else fails, refer the the ultimate solution =)

zeltrio
Forum Regular
May 19, 2001, 10:26 PM

Originally posted by theoden:
Ultimate solution:
Buy an x86 box and install Linux and buy a three-button mouse =)

But, back to your question. Try some of the modifier keys like command or control.
Might help.
If that doesn't work, try heading to the command line and running xfree86 config to setup your mouse. Might find something useful there but probally not =)

if all else fails, refer the the ultimate solution =)
I already do that hehe...but......I got xemacs running! Whoo that was the most important part for me!..just thought now i could maybe extend my 'books use a bit ; ]...wish i could get windowmaker to compile..ah well enlightenment will do for now : ]

btw i've tried about every modifier key there is ; ]

------------------
"Fight and fear not for the gates of paradise lie under the shade of the sword!"
"A mighty maze! but not without a plan."
-Alexander Pope

Scott_H
Professional Poster
May 20, 2001, 01:17 PM

I'm going to move this over to the OS X - Third Party Software forum. Click through to find your post.

Forum Links
Forum Rules