Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Gosh, this sounds familiar:

Gosh, this sounds familiar:
HeatMiser
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 23, 2001, 11:16 AM

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/zd/2001..._dog_xp_1.html

------------------
The power of UNIX with the simplicity and elegance of Macintosh.
I am the harsh nemesis of all that is unclean!

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2001, 11:52 AM

The difference is that XP is still in beta, OSX is shipping (granted an "early adopters" release). Maybe this will mean they have to delay the release of XP, which can only be a good thing... unless of course it gets so good that it kicks the crap out of OSX (aka they secretely switch to Linux without telling everyone till it ships).

F-bacher

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2001, 12:21 PM

We should not talk when it comes to cosmetic problems, lack of drivers and needing developers to rewrite apps.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Since EBCDIC
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 23, 2001, 04:58 PM

I don't know what the big deal about XP is.

Those who can will use Mac OS X. Those who are already in the Wintel camp will use software which runs on their hardware. Those in corporations which have standardized on Windows will continue to use Windows.

Get over it already. You too, Steve :-)

------------------
Since EBCDIC
Make every post count!
Since EBCDIC
Using Macs since they were Lisas.

theoden
Apr 23, 2001, 05:23 PM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
We should not talk when it comes to cosmetic problems, lack of drivers and needing developers to rewrite apps.
I think Apple's set themselves up very well with OS X. OS X is in final (although no one, including I, agree that it's complete), Apple needed to ship a final product to get developers to actually work on their OS X versions of applications.
And heck, with the dev tools shipping with OS X, who knows what kind of shareware apps were going to see in the future?

-theoden

HeatMiser  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 23, 2001, 06:50 PM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
The idea here is that this is exactly the same kind of article that came out every couple weeks before OSX's release. Some Windows users took great delight in rubbing these "shortcomings" in Mac users' faces.

Well, it looks like the worm may have turned. Of course XP isn't as striking a technological gamble as OSX, so not doubt MSFT will get their sh][t together before XP is released. Right?

------------------
The power of UNIX with the simplicity and elegance of Macintosh.
I am the harsh nemesis of all that is unclean!

plaidpjs
Senior User
Apr 23, 2001, 07:08 PM

Originally posted by HeatMiser:
The idea here is that this is exactly the same kind of article that came out every couple weeks before OSX's release. Some Windows users took great delight in rubbing these "shortcomings" in Mac users' faces.

Well, it looks like the worm may have turned. Of course XP isn't as striking a technological gamble as OSX, so not doubt MSFT will get their sh][t together before XP is released. Right?
WRONG! Microsoft, time in and time out, faces the compatibility monster and fails to deliver on their promises of backwards compatibility, as the article begins by saying.

I mean, don't you all get it, this is how they endear themselves to the rest of the software market.

As for the comparisons to OS X, they are valid, only to a point. The difference, of course, being that when MS decides to release a new OS everyone says great, I'll make sure I have y application ready for upgrading to the new OS. When Apple says they're coming out with a new OS, developers say, yeah, when it's released will start thinking about upgrading our products. It's market share and demand, plain and simple.

Apple released OS X when they did to make sure that developers got off their asses and actually lived up to their ascertions. beyond that, i can only say one thing for sure, you all may believe that OS X is an "unfinished" beast, but it is far more "finished and polished" then XP will be when it arrives in Final form!

------------------
G4/500 DP, 768 MB RAM, 40GB HDD, 32MB ATI Radeon OEM, 30GB VST Firewire Drive, and an Apple Cinema Display
G4/533 DP, 768 MB RAM, 40GB HDD, 32MB GeForce2 MX, 30GB VST Firewire Drive, and an Apple Cinema Display.

Forum Links
Forum Rules