Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Customizing OS X redux

Customizing OS X redux (Page 12)
<tomboy>
Jul 21, 2001, 03:36 PM

I want aquashade too.... any info anyone?

Synotic
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2001, 05:10 PM

Originally posted by &lt;tomboy&gt;:
<STRONG>I want aquashade too.... any info anyone?</STRONG>
Not sure what that is... Anyways, I have the build uploaded and ready but I have no idea where iBabo is? I'll hold out a bit longer and if he doesn't get back I'll just give out the link,

[email protected]

<tomboy>
Jul 21, 2001, 06:13 PM

Aquashade is a windowshade program written at MacHack.

----
All you font antialiasing haters should check out the new tinkertool. It gets rid of aliasing once and for all (in core graphics). Some fonts now look like hell, but for those us going blind, it's a great relief. Finally no aliasing in the finder.

Synotic
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2001, 02:36 AM

themexican
Jul 22, 2001, 03:43 AM

Just wanted to report that I peeked at the 10.1 extras.rsrc thanks to some help...

Here's the rumpus:

Not much has changed pxm-wise. Out of the hundreds of pxms only about 88 have changed (mainly scroll bars and grow boxes). The window widgets have also changed slightly...the masking problem between carbon and cocoa appears to be fixed by just making the masks = the entire mask area.

All the layos are slightly changed (resourcer template broken) as are the tdat, tinf, tmet aand clut resources...

all this means the current themes will break under 10.1, but happily they won't be too hard to update, as most things with X themes, it will simply be a pain in the ars.

earlypinterplays
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 22, 2001, 03:52 PM

I just stumbled across a screen shot of theoden's "Boing" theme (link found on page 9 of this thread), and am drooling in anticipation.

Any word on its progress?
The antipathy we feel towards Windows is roughly commensurate with how the rest of the planet views America.

starfleetX
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2001, 05:57 PM

Originally posted by themexican:
[QB]The window widgets have also changed slightly...the masking problem between carbon and cocoa appears to be fixed by just making the masks = the entire mask area.
Wonderful news!!
None of the pxm's have been removed though? That's too bad. I had hoped that Apple could streamline Extras.rsrc by removing the duplicate entries of the Blue variation on Aqua.* Oh well, these builds are pre-release and things may still change.

Thanks for the update, Raul!

*For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, Extras.rsrc contains three copies of most of the graphical pxm's. Two are in Blue and the third is Graphite. There's no consistent ID numbering scheme for the duplicate; so, sometimes it's hard to keep everything in sync.
The server made a boo boo. (403)

billybob
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 22, 2001, 06:38 PM

synotic - a definite improvement over the first platinum. i noticed you made the outline of windows more greyish, to get rid of the "oh my god, the title bar is one pixel shorter than the rest of the window!" problem. however, this problem still exists with windows that are in the background. Haven't gotten a chance to use it too much yet, but lookin good my man.

starfleetx's theme (iridium) is also very nice, just got that one a few days ago. both of you are doing great work. =)

oh yah... synotic i dont really like the login panel that you install with platinum.. looks weird. there's jus tnot enough spacing between the picture, and the top of the window and the username login field. and unfortunately it stays installed when you switch to a different theme. doh.

[ 07-22-2001: Message edited by: billybob ]
everything you know is wrong (and stupid)

Synotic
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2001, 08:30 PM

Originally posted by billybob:
<STRONG>synotic - a definite improvement over the first platinum. i noticed you made the outline of windows more greyish, to get rid of the "oh my god, the title bar is one pixel shorter than the rest of the window!" problem. however, this problem still exists with windows that are in the background. Haven't gotten a chance to use it too much yet, but lookin good my man.

starfleetx's theme (iridium) is also very nice, just got that one a few days ago. both of you are doing great work. =)

oh yah... synotic i dont really like the login panel that you install with platinum.. looks weird. there's jus tnot enough spacing between the picture, and the top of the window and the username login field. and unfortunately it stays installed when you switch to a different theme. doh.</STRONG>
Hmm... but I included a Login.nib... didn't that get updated? I respaced the login so that it wouldn't be cramped... Oh, btw, if you want to fix it, just switch to aqua, then switch to the other theme.I kept the name of the person in the same place cause I thought it looked cool with the white... I will try and look at the title bars that are in the background...

iBabo
Senior User
Jul 23, 2001, 12:43 AM

ok..i was able to beta test the platinum x.2 thme before it came out, and i think its a huge improvment over the last one. sheets have platinum buttons now. more platinum in general although i spotted quite a few "bugs" if you will. i think most of the bugs will be addressed in the .3 release. and from what i hear X.3 aint so far away. x.3 will bring improvents such as
�platinum pull down menus
�platinum icons
� maybe even a fix for the black borer around some buttons in fire, AIM, dragthing, ircle etc.
� and some minor bugs here and there...

X.3 is gonna make OS X truly a OS 9 users dream come true
i just cant wait for it.
BTW, the bootscreen/loginscreen were mine
great work synotic!
smile like you mean it.

<driver>
Jul 24, 2001, 04:09 AM

I didn't see it here, but thought it was worth mentioning that the latest version of Tinkertool totally gets rid of font smoothing. Works at a core level even on Lucida Grande. Even in the finder. While the lucida grande unsmoothed is fairly ugly (especially at 12 and 14 points), at least I don't get a headache after a few minutes of trying to make out the fuzzy text.
http://www.bresink.de/osx/TinkerTool.html

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jul 24, 2001, 11:18 PM

Has anyone gotten Iridium? I emailed StarfleetX, but I haven't gotten any reply.

starfleetX
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2001, 09:05 AM

Originally posted by nonhuman:
<STRONG>Has anyone gotten Iridium? I emailed StarfleetX, but I haven't gotten any reply.</STRONG>
The people on my list should have Iridium by now. Please e-mail me at [email protected] I'll and try to find out what's going on.

[ 07-25-2001: Message edited by: starfleetX ]

<Sinewave>
Jul 25, 2001, 02:19 PM

starfleet. I tried to email you .. but got it bounced back twice.

starfleetX
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2001, 04:39 PM

Originally posted by &lt;Sinewave&gt;:
<STRONG>starfleet. I tried to email you .. but got it bounced back twice.</STRONG>
eeuurrgg... hmm.... odd. My only guess is that Apple is bouncing it back because my account is getting full. I'm in several beta-testing groups and I receive 100 or more e-mails a day through that account. I delete all my read mail from Apple's IMAP server every night, though, so it shouldn't stay full. Well, just post your e-mail here and I'll try to remember to grab it and put it on the list when I get home.

[ 07-25-2001: Message edited by: starfleetX ]

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jul 25, 2001, 05:27 PM

Originally posted by starfleetX:
<STRONG>
eeuurrgg... hmm.... odd. My only guess is that Apple is bouncing it back because my account is getting full. I'm in several beta-testing groups and I receive 100 or more e-mails a day through that account. I delete all my read mail from Apple's IMAP server every night, though, so it shouldn't stay full. Well, just post your e-mail here and I'll try to remember to grab it and put it on the list when I get home.

[ 07-25-2001: Message edited by: starfleetX ]</STRONG>
My email's [email protected] . Thanks

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jul 25, 2001, 05:28 PM

<STRONG>

Synotic
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2001, 05:44 PM

Okay, I have to leave quickly so I'll try to type fast. I am going to make color variations on my Platinum X.3 theme which is coming out soon. But there are like 20 colored variation in OS 9... I could probobally do them all but I dunno if I could fit them all on an iDisk. If you really want them all then I could spread them on two of my iDisks. Anyways here are the colors:

Azul
Bondi
Copper
Crimson
Emerald
French Blue
Gold
Magenta
Nutmeg
Pastachio
Plum
Poppy
Rose
Sapphire
Silver
Sunny
Teal
Turqouise
Black and white

Keep in mind I haven't created these.. but these are the ones included with OS X as color variations. Which ones should I pick? Again, if you really want I could do all.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jul 25, 2001, 06:22 PM

<STRONG>

<b3at>
Jul 25, 2001, 06:31 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Synotic:

Azul
I'd like Poppy and Black and white...

greets

<Sinewave>
Jul 25, 2001, 08:03 PM

<STRONG>

[email protected]
Thank You

<MacFan>
Jul 25, 2001, 10:59 PM

Synotic,

Could you show the different shades of the colors you mentioned so that we'll have a better idea of what some of the colors look like?

TIA!

Synotic
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2001, 03:36 AM

Originally posted by &lt;MacFan&gt;:
<STRONG>Synotic,

Could you show the different shades of the colors you mentioned so that we'll have a better idea of what some of the colors look like?

TIA!</STRONG>
Your wish is my command

Azul

Bondi

Copper

Crimson

Emerald

French Blue

Gold

Synotic
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2001, 03:43 AM

Ivy

Lavender (Current Color)

Magenta

Nutmeg

Pistachio

Plum

Poppy

Rose

Synotic
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2001, 03:47 AM

Sapphire

Silver

Sunny

Teal

Turqoise

This is all

udecker
Forum Regular
Jul 26, 2001, 06:24 AM

We still haven't figured out a way to cram all of these variations into one Extras.rsrc file (like apple has with Blue and Graphite), have we?

That would really be a help, if you ask me.

Perhaps we should re-examine the tdat(?) resource and see if we can find where the General Preferences looks for theme info inside of the file (for names)?

-uD

Also - is anyone documenting the changes from 10.0.4 to 10.1 Extras.rsrc file?

Synotic
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2001, 06:49 AM

Originally posted by udecker:
<STRONG>We still haven't figured out a way to cram all of these variations into one Extras.rsrc file (like apple has with Blue and Graphite), have we?

That would really be a help, if you ask me.

Perhaps we should re-examine the tdat(?) resource and see if we can find where the General Preferences looks for theme info inside of the file (for names)?

-uD

Also - is anyone documenting the changes from 10.0.4 to 10.1 Extras.rsrc file?</STRONG>
Yes it is tdat. I think the creator of unlined charcoal has figured how to have unlined ruby and unlined charcoal in the same file. But he just edited the ID's of Graphite one. I don't think he actually knows how to add new ones... I just plan on having these all as seperate themes. Anyways, when the creator of MetaMorphX comes back and figures out how to hack the window manager then live theme switching might be soon.

malvolio
Professional Poster
Jul 26, 2001, 11:41 AM

I vote for emerald and turquoise.
BTW, Synotic, the log-in panel of your Platinum X2 *does* revert when I change themes.
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

<MacFan>
Jul 27, 2001, 02:37 AM

I vote for any of the blue colored themes such as Azul, or French Blue although if all the colors are completed eventually users will have their favorites covered.

Thank you for the color examples.

Synotic
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2001, 04:20 AM

Originally posted by &lt;MacFan&gt;:
<STRONG>I vote for any of the blue colored themes such as Azul, or French Blue although if all the colors are completed eventually users will have their favorites covered.

Thank you for the color examples.</STRONG>
Thanks for your suggestions. I still want more though

I actually have Copper and Emerald partially done. The scroll bars and menu and triangle widget things are very easy. The only thing that'll be hard are the progress bars But I'll get it done.

KidRed
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2001, 04:58 AM

All the blues and saphire and silver.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

Phoenix1701
Senior User
Jul 27, 2001, 05:49 AM

Originally posted by &lt;jimmy on crack&gt;:
<STRONG>I've seen OS X platinum icon sets with a few platinum icons (drive and default folder mainly), but does anyone have a complete Platinum OS X icon set? If so, where?</STRONG>
http://www.wpi.edu/~phoenix/icons.html is my personal favorite.

Originally posted by Synotic:
<STRONG>Actually someone made a Cocoa app called Premultiplier. Nice icon and everything *someone* sent it to me. I dunno if they want to keep their anonymity or not but anyways I can try and send it to you when I am in OS 9.</STRONG>
I made that app, actually... and it's not Cocoa, either, it's Carbon, believe it or not. I'd be happy to distribute it to anyone who wants it, just email me, and I'll put it up on my Web site soon as well; I've designed it to make premultiplication literally automatic - it'll even automatically copy the finished image to the clipboard. Also, it would run on Mac OS 9 just fine if I gave it a File menu and a standard Preferences option... that'd take all of thirty seconds to do, so if you want it to run on OS 9 and OS X, I can do that. I would have said something about it earlier, but I left for the mountains of New Mexico for three weeks and just got back today...

Oh, and Starfleet, in the unlikely event you don't already have my email address, it's [email protected] - I desperately would like Iridium 1.0!

Synotic
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2001, 07:45 AM

Originally posted by Phoenix1701:
<STRONG>

I made that app, actually... and it's not Cocoa, either, it's Carbon, believe it or not. I'd be happy to distribute it to anyone who wants it, just email me, and I'll put it up on my Web site soon as well; I've designed it to make premultiplication literally automatic - it'll even automatically copy the finished image to the clipboard. Also, it would run on Mac OS 9 just fine if I gave it a File menu and a standard Preferences option... that'd take all of thirty seconds to do, so if you want it to run on OS 9 and OS X, I can do that. I would have said something about it earlier, but I left for the mountains of New Mexico for three weeks and just got back today...

Oh, and Starfleet, in the unlikely event you don't already have my email address, it's [email protected] - I desperately would like Iridium 1.0! </STRONG>
Of course I want the Premultiplier to work in OS 9 That is where I do all of my work. A OS 9 version would rock. Oh and I am including your Platinum Icons with my theme as a HIToolbox.rsrc file. Hope you don't mind. About starfleet's theme.. I believe that he already sent out his first batch but you have to wait for his second batch. i.e. wait until an update. So basically this is a good wait.

[email protected]

<Sinewave>
Jul 27, 2001, 08:47 PM

So in other words.. starfleet only gives his themes out to certain people

Synotic
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2001, 03:29 AM

I would like your guy's opinion on this. If you think that you could do a better job then by all means go ahead. I am open to suggestions:

Phoenix1701
Senior User
Jul 28, 2001, 08:47 AM

<STRONG>Of course I want the Premultiplier to work in OS 9 That is where I do all of my work. A OS 9 version would rock. Oh and I am including your Platinum Icons with my theme as a HIToolbox.rsrc file. Hope you don't mind. About starfleet's theme.. I believe that he already sent out his first batch but you have to wait for his second batch. i.e. wait until an update. So basically this is a good wait.

[email protected]</STRONG>
Okay, it now works under OS 9. And while I was at it, I added bunches of new features as well; you can now resize the window, for example, and the image wells will intelligently resize as you go... also, now images that are bigger than the wells they're placed in will no longer make it impossible to click on the image well, and there's no longer any flicker when selecting wells in OS 9 (it worked in OS 9 before, if you didn't mind the lack of a Quit option). I improved a few other things too... can't remember what right now, but it's in the Version History.

You can download it here.

[ 07-28-2001: Message edited by: Phoenix1701 ]

gthyb
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 28, 2001, 01:38 PM

that looks great, synotic. i wish the entire os looked that good.

i also wished i didn't like windowxp's window widgets and scroll bars better than os x's. what is this world coming to?

-ryan

theoden
Jul 28, 2001, 02:44 PM

Ah. Wow, someone got some interest in my theme a few posts up
I'll give y'all what I got, but it's still really uncompleted.

Included is also the theminator file I used. You can change whatever you want with it, jsut don't sell it or anything (covered that in the readme).

It's still very far from finished. I'm just been to busy/lazy/whatever you want to call it to do much with it.

If you want a copy of what I've got done, just email me.
[email protected]

And oh, yeh... Synotic... "I should be done my theme in a few days..."

~
-theoden

<Sinewave>
Jul 28, 2001, 04:11 PM

Here is a video of a Platinum theme I am working on (Thanks SnapsPro)
http://sinewave.wirefire.com/WIP/Sosumi.mov

<Sinewave>
Jul 28, 2001, 04:25 PM

<STRONG>I would like your guy's opinion on this. If you think that you could do a better job then by all means go ahead. I am open to suggestions:

</STRONG>
Heheh I made one that looks about 100% like that! ROFL.. but the shade is a tad different. Of course I like it!

Synotic
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2001, 05:57 PM

<STRONG>

Okay, it now works under OS 9. And while I was at it, I added bunches of new features as well; you can now resize the window, for example, and the image wells will intelligently resize as you go... also, now images that are bigger than the wells they're placed in will no longer make it impossible to click on the image well, and there's no longer any flicker when selecting wells in OS 9 (it worked in OS 9 before, if you didn't mind the lack of a Quit option). I improved a few other things too... can't remember what right now, but it's in the Version History.

You can download it here.</STRONG>
Only one person likes my Platinum version of the installer background? Anyways, phoenix, I have a few suggestions:

1. Command-w (duh)
2. The ability to select wells and press "delete"
3. Command-n So that you can have multiple pre-multiplyer windows.

Phoenix1701
Senior User
Jul 28, 2001, 08:31 PM

<STRONG>Only one person likes my Platinum version of the installer background? Anyways, phoenix, I have a few suggestions:

1. Command-w (duh)
2. The ability to select wells and press "delete"
3. Command-n So that you can have multiple pre-multiplyer windows.</STRONG>
*Yawn* Done. It's at the same place it was before, but now it's 1.0b6 and includes those three features (well, two really, since close only really makes sense if you have a new command as well). I'm happy to say multiple windowing took less than five minutes to completely implement, thanks to some fortuitous decisions I made when creating the FocusRing class (it doesn't refer to the main window by name), so I'm feeling pretty good about the elegance of my code right now... *preens a bit*

Anyway, enjoy, and if there's anything else you wish was there let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Synotic
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2001, 10:16 PM

<STRONG>

*Yawn* Done. It's at the same place it was before, but now it's 1.0b6 and includes those three features (well, two really, since close only really makes sense if you have a new command as well). I'm happy to say multiple windowing took less than five minutes to completely implement, thanks to some fortuitous decisions I made when creating the FocusRing class (it doesn't refer to the main window by name), so I'm feeling pretty good about the elegance of my code right now... *preens a bit*

Anyway, enjoy, and if there's anything else you wish was there let me know and I'll see what I can do. </STRONG>
Cool.. next step, a new Theminator Aren't you even thinking about this? I have this one window tabbed interface that I thought was pretty cool made in RealBASIC. It doesn't do anything though...

Synotic
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2001, 10:49 PM

<STRONG>Here is a video of a Platinum theme I am working on (Thanks SnapsPro)
http://sinewave.wirefire.com/WIP/Sosumi.mov</STRONG>
Doesn't work... can we get a screenshot?

<Sinewave>
Jul 28, 2001, 11:38 PM

<STRONG>Doesn't work... can we get a screenshot?</STRONG>
Sorry try it again. It works now.

gthyb
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 29, 2001, 01:01 AM

looking good synotic. looks like something i was going to do back in the day...put platinum widgets on starfleetX's theme.

looks great, though.

about the scroll bar, though...when the scroll bar is long, do you have the notches only in the center, or do they repeate all the way across the length of the bar? during the two days i worked on a platinum them, i had to ditch the well known OS9 notches because i didn't know how to keep them only in the center and they looked terrible on long scroll bars. there are so many OS9 elements that are just hard or impossible to squeeze into OS X's strange template, that an OS9 theme just doesn't seem worth the trouble.

I love all you're work, though. same to starfleet. keep it up guys.

Hey primus, any word on your theme's release?

-Ryan

Synotic
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2001, 01:01 AM

<STRONG>

Sorry try it again. It works now.</STRONG>
That looks like a Iridium/Platinum hybrid... BTW, the 3 line thing in the scroll bar looks good when it is small... But how about when the scroll bar is large? Can you get pictures of those? I experimented doing that with my scroll bars and it looked bad...

gthyb
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 29, 2001, 02:37 AM

oops!! sorry Sinewave. kudos to you on that theme....i got the link to the movie from synotic's post of your quote. i guess i wasn't thinking. yeah, great work sinewave.

my question about the scroll bars goes to you, then.

-ryan

gthyb
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 29, 2001, 02:39 AM

yeah the scroll bars looked terrible for me too. and the redraw on them was slow.

<Sinewave>
Jul 29, 2001, 12:16 PM

<STRONG>That looks like a Iridium/Platinum hybrid...
I have yet to get a copy of Iridium (I have asked for it.. but no reply so far) So I wouldn't know what you mean there.. But I made it to be a more modern Platinum look
BTW, the 3 line thing in the scroll bar looks good when it is small... But how about when the scroll bar is large? Can you get pictures of those? I experimented doing that with my scroll bars and it looked bad...</STRONG>
Here is a movie of the scroll bars http://sinewave.wirefire.com/WIP/scrollbars.mov

Forum Links
Forum Rules