Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > I'll Be Switching To Windows XP If....

I'll Be Switching To Windows XP If.... (Page 4)
daydreamer
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 12, 2001, 03:08 PM

WinXP is weak.It's a MacOsX rip off. Checked some screenshots of winXP
The interface and start menu is an osX ripp of.They tried to fake that Aqua look, but it sucks. Not that it is cool or anything, It's ugly. Many things are also familiar with macosX: Mutliple users, dual processor support are things I know about.

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2001, 03:14 PM

Ice cream. Yum. In the vending machines. Yow.

I'm waiting for the "Order Ice Cream" menu option under
the finder preferences.

I'm loving X, BTW. I'm running a website that's getting slammed
and it just keeps working. Apache, Perl, SSH, Quicktime Streaming
Server, the whole works and to have the ability to SSH in from off-
site or FTP some files to my home machine is wonderful.

Despite some of the speed issues, it is a very useable system. Once the MIDI/Music apps start appearing I won't see much of a reason to reboot.

Gametes
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2001, 06:24 PM

For the love of God gzl please fix Theodore's link!
you are not your signature

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 12, 2001, 08:22 PM

Originally posted by cynistar:

If by the time Windows XP is released the following things do NOT happen, I will be switching from Mac OS to Windows XP and recommend everyone I know to do the same.
Fine by me... my girlfriend will take your place. And alot of other people who are attracted to the Mac OS by aqua, who are tired to trying to use Winblows.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

BuonRotto
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 12, 2001, 08:52 PM

"NextStep / OpenStep was "finished" and fast over 10 years ago."

Actually, many NeXTsteppers will tell you that the original NeXT OS was essentially in beta for about 3 years after its release. Once it really got going, watch out, but it took some time. Besides, I frankly don't think you have an idea of how much has changed since 1996, and you only see OS X's aesthetics because you don't know what to look for otherwise. (And it hasn't been fully delivered. No shame in admitting that there are a few -- and I mean a few -- things that haven't been delivered.) Welcome to the world of 1.0 software. But check back in another 3 years and we'll share our experiences -- me with OS X's progeny, you with XP's derivatives.

brainchild2b
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 12, 2001, 09:12 PM

I'm tired of listening to you winey little cry babies about your speed. AND MORE F*CKING RAM and get over it. Ever used linux???? The more RAM you add it gets exponentialy faster. This is true for just about ever variant of unix. What's that you say? You already have 300+mb or RAM? Add more Fill your stupid slow *SS 350mhz machine with 1GIG of ram. RAM is so cheep right now! People you have a freaking 350mhz machine!!! Even windows 2000 sucks on that, and it doesn't have native antialiasing in the windowing system. MAC OS X was designed to be a future, forward thinking OS, It wasn't designed to included your OLD, OUTDATED technology!!! Get over it!! You 350mhz g3 was designed for OS 9, either run it be happy. Or don't B*tch about the speed of OS X. Or buy yourself another computer! If you don't like it well tough. It your own DAMN fault.

theoden
Apr 12, 2001, 09:22 PM

Really, I could care less if you switched to WinXP. More power to you.
It's your choice. Not our, not Apple's. Not MS's.
No, it's no that I'm not a Mac fan or anything of that sort. I'd be the first to promote an Apple product over many others.
But if your rant, rant to apple.
I've had X panic once on me, which I caused myself.
So go for it! Switch to XP. I encourage ya But I'm sticking to my Mac.

I'm just tired of all the negative posts here. Sure, there is such a thing as constructive critisism, but why not throw a few optimistic posts on how to "Do things" with OS X rather then this crap.

Personally, I could care less if you used X, XP, XABC or whatever else. Not my problem

-theo

bpbond
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 12, 2001, 10:46 PM

brainchild2b:

Yeah, I think we all agree, RAM is super cheap, and certainly lots of us have some adjustments to make. We were used to how OS9 used memory; now we need to get used to how X does, and more is better, amen.

That said, uh huh, sorry, it's not my "fault" that I haven't bought another $2500 computer in the last two and a half years. (For some of us, that's a chunk of change.) I recognize that X will always be sluggish on my beige baby, and hey, that's fine. But we do have a right to note that at the moment the new Finder's performance is, um, stately. If you are sick of it, I'd suggest going over to the OS9 forums, or offline, or something.

a'me
Apr 13, 2001, 09:27 AM

Curious!

I have been in the industry for 11 years now. I have watch Apple's market share slip from 10% -5% -2-3%. I have worked with and supported windows systems going back to Win 2.0 and have also worked with Unix.

What puzzles me is why in the year 2001 the Mac vs Windows debate still continues (especially when you take look at Apple's market share).

So let's look at this. What is the probability that Apple will some how gain significant market share from Microsoft? Has Apple made any claims that it is trying to do so? Should one be comparing Apple's business model to Microsoft? Is Windows, Mac OS X's main competitor or would that be Unix/Linux (ie. if Apple is to gain market-share where is the most logical opportunity).

What are the market dynamics that affect Apple? What is the growth opportunity?

Understand, I am not trying to act naive. XP does present a major POTENTIAL risk to Apple. I would argue however that this whole OS X vs XP argument is irrelevant. I would say that Apple's future is tied to how well they can differentiate themselves and identify markets that they can win in. Microsoft has little to gain from a revenue standpoint in targetting Apple.

Mac OS X has many virtues that I have not seem mentioned in any of these thread. Apple' success is dependent on their ability to identify opportunities and act on them.

I agree this will require a rock solid OS. Strong develop support and a clear marketing strategy. I would also say that in the mist of all this OS X vs XP talk, what has been lost is that Apple has made what is probable the most significant stride in allowing them protect their future. I won't say whether Apple will succeed or not, but I will say that the Mac community is light years ahead of where they would be if Apple had not released OSX.

Group51
Senior User
Apr 13, 2001, 09:41 AM

Originally posted by brainchild2b:
I'm tired of listening to you winey little cry babies about your speed. AND MORE F*CKING RAM and get over it. Ever used linux???? The more RAM you add it gets exponentialy faster. This is true for just about ever variant of unix. What's that you say? You already have 300+mb or RAM? Add more Fill your stupid slow *SS 350mhz machine with 1GIG of ram. RAM is so cheep right now! People you have a freaking 350mhz machine!!! Even windows 2000 sucks on that, and it doesn't have native antialiasing in the windowing system. MAC OS X was designed to be a future, forward thinking OS, It wasn't designed to included your OLD, OUTDATED technology!!! Get over it!! You 350mhz g3 was designed for OS 9, either run it be happy. Or don't B*tch about the speed of OS X. Or buy yourself another computer! If you don't like it well tough. It your own DAMN fault.
Your slamming of people with less that a Gig of ram fails particularly when it is read by some one with a PowerBook.

[This message has been edited by Group51 (edited 04-13-2001).]

HeatMiser
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 13, 2001, 09:53 AM

Originally posted by a'me:
XP does present a major POTENTIAL risk to Apple.
Curious, I have yet to read a convincing defense of this statement, anywhere.

------------------
The suspense is terrible...I hope it'll last.
I am the harsh nemesis of all that is unclean!

davechen
Apr 13, 2001, 09:59 AM

Every time I see the title of this thread, I think to myself:

I'll be switching to Windows XP when big, sweaty monkeys come flying
out of Bill Gate's ass.

Forum Links
Forum Rules