Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > OS X Themes

OS X Themes
zeebe
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 11, 2001, 03:34 PM

I got an OS X graphite theme from someone on this BBS and I was wondering how I install it? I have installed the ResEx theme just fine, but when I install the graphite theme in the same spot as the ResEx theme, all I get is a blue screen. Any ideas?

Support a charity as you search the Internet - Use GoodSearch - I support Sacred Heart School.

Chet Ript
Forum Regular
Apr 11, 2001, 03:41 PM

Which theme is it? If it's an Extras.rsrc file then you just replace that file in you OSX system. (from 9.1) Be carefull though, I wouldn't really trust a file like that from a BBS. Check out the Unlined Charcoal X theme. It gives you a very decent platnum Aqua. Very nice. And he has made installers. One for installing the theme and the other for re-installing regular Aqua.

zeebe  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 11, 2001, 03:45 PM

It is called the OSXThemeGraphie. It is an Extra.rsrc file, just like the Blue Theme from ResEx is. The ResEx file works great, but not the graphite one. I have tried the platinum one and it is nice, but I am looking for all different kinds and want to try them all.

Support a charity as you search the Internet - Use GoodSearch - I support Sacred Heart School.

morgan
Forum Regular
Apr 11, 2001, 04:44 PM

Check out http://www.desktopper.net for two awesome looking OSX themes. There's no installer so i haven't taken a shot at it yet. But they're very clean looking themes. If anyone wants to post instructions i'd be grateful. They're all in japanese.

Synotic
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2001, 06:35 PM

Originally posted by zeebe:
It is called the OSXThemeGraphie. It is an Extra.rsrc file, just like the Blue Theme from ResEx is. The ResEx file works great, but not the graphite one. I have tried the platinum one and it is nice, but I am looking for all different kinds and want to try them all.
Where is the Platinum theme? I am currently working on a Brushed Metal theme which is pretty cool so far. You can e-mail me at:

[email protected]

For more info.

zeebe  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 11, 2001, 11:41 PM

Hey Synotic, what is your web site. How do you use Aiko's Graphite? I have tried and I always get a blue screen when I log out or restart. To get the platinum theme, go here: http://www2.fwi.com/%7Ethefreys/Xhac...dcharcoal.html

Good luck and thanks for any help.

ppmax
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 12, 2001, 12:08 AM

FYI--

i installed the blue theme mentioned above and it crashed my system (1st time X has gone down with no recovery). so i swapped that thing out quicker than you can say "that sucked."

its a simple thing to install--you just put a file in a folder. you dont have to go into OS 9 for this--just use the "go" command and type in:

/system/library/frameworks/carbon.framework/versions/A/Frameworks/HIToolbox.framework/versions/a/resources/

this will take you directly to the place to put the new file.

ppmax

zeebe  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 12, 2001, 12:20 AM

I got the blue theme to work just fine, but I did it swapping the files in OS 9.1. The trouble I am having is with Aiko's Graphite . Has anyone installed this one correctly?

zeebe  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 12, 2001, 12:26 AM

I downloaded the themes on www.desktopper.net and I installed the red. The instructions are in Japanese but if you open each folder (marked step 1, step 2, etc.) and then open the file called path it tells you in english where each file goes. They only problem I have is it kills Aqua, so I made a copy of my original System folder 2 times and did all the steps it tells you to in the two copies, so if I want Red, I rename that folder to System, if I want the other color, I use that folder, problem is it takes up a lot of space. I wrote the author of unlined charcoal to see if he could make an installer for those, but have not heard back from him yet.

Synotic
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2001, 02:54 AM

Hey Synotic, what is your web site. How do you use Aiko's Graphite? I have tried and I always get a blue screen when I log out or restart. To get the platinum theme, go here: http://www2.fwi.com/%7Ethefreys/Xhac...dcharcoal.html

Good luck and thanks for any help.
Just replace the Extras.rcrs file in OS 9. Anyways, Platinum?!?!? I was hoping that it was a real Platinum theme so I could stop development on my Platinum theme (This is a real theme) My site is: homepage.mac.com/Synotic/FileSharing.html E-mail me for info on being on the newsletter. Anyways there has been a lack in interest for my Platinum theme. Just wait for "themexican"'s Platinum theme. It will no doubt be better. Later,

Christopher Tarfman

morgan
Forum Regular
Apr 12, 2001, 07:23 AM

thanks zeebe, i shoulda looked a little deeper at it. I'll give it a shot now.

zeebe  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 12, 2001, 12:36 PM

Originally posted by Synotic:
Just replace the Extras.rcrs file in OS 9. Anyways, Platinum?!?!? I was hoping that it was a real Platinum theme so I could stop development on my Platinum theme (This is a real theme) My site is: homepage.mac.com/Synotic/FileSharing.html E-mail me for info on being on the newsletter. Anyways there has been a lack in interest for my Platinum theme. Just wait for "themexican"'s Platinum theme. It will no doubt be better. Later,

Christopher Tarfman
Who is "themexican" and does he have a web site?

Teronzhul
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 12, 2001, 12:54 PM

I just installed nubo's Coaltar, and I must say I am impressed at the sheer depth to which it was done. Installation must have taken me 1/2 an hour or more, but EVERY detail was taken into consideration. Not only were scroll bars/menus etc modified, but folder icons, control panel icons, login window, about box, ALL WIDGETS, EVERYTHING has been changed. And it all works perfectly. But now that i've done it, it seems a bit too dark for my taste, but I feel a bit too lazy to put all that stuff back where it was. Maybe I should write an applescript to do all that moving for me, well, that would probably take me longer, and i'm not very good at scripting just yet. hmmm

sjendras
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 12, 2001, 01:17 PM

Akio's graphite theme was written for Public Beta. Given the changes to Aqua (extra.rsrc) since then, I'm not sure it will work at all.

sj

[This message has been edited by sjendras (edited 04-12-2001).]

iPond317
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 12, 2001, 02:54 PM

When is themexican going to release his Platinum theme?! His is the only Platinum theme that looks like OS 9.x. I tried the other ones and they look like a cross between Platinum and Aqua... not pretty at all!

------------------
Think different.
--------------------
"I'm so afraid, the way I feel. Days when the rain and the sun are gone. Black as night. Agony's torn at my heart too long. So afraid, slip and I fall and I die..." - Lindsey Buckingham
iPond317 | ODU Apple Campus Rep
"Ten years ago down by the lake I sunk my sweet love down to her watery grave." - Hello Again | DMB

Old: Apple IIc, PowerMac 7200/90, iMac Bondi Blue 233, Titanium PowerBook G4 400 - New: MacBook 2.0, iPhone 8GB, AirPort Extreme Gb, iPod 30GB 5th Gen

Synotic
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2001, 03:15 PM

Originally said by themexican:
Won't be long now.... I've been on vacation. Just got back.
That's all I know...

Synotic
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2001, 03:22 PM

Originally posted by Teronzhul:
I just installed nubo's Coaltar, and I must say I am impressed at the sheer depth to which it was done. Installation must have taken me 1/2 an hour or more, but EVERY detail was taken into consideration. Not only were scroll bars/menus etc modified, but folder icons, control panel icons, login window, about box, ALL WIDGETS, EVERYTHING has been changed. And it all works perfectly. But now that i've done it, it seems a bit too dark for my taste, but I feel a bit too lazy to put all that stuff back where it was. Maybe I should write an applescript to do all that moving for me, well, that would probably take me longer, and i'm not very good at scripting just yet. hmmm
The widgets, the menus, scroll bar, anything that deals with the system can all be modified in one script. Scripts are included with Theminator. Just modify one number and set the script. As for the about box and stuff... just create and action in photoshop to take away the saturation and darken it. It really isn't that hard....

Teronzhul
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 12, 2001, 03:41 PM

I never said it was hard syn, i'm just impressed at the time it must have taken him to be so thorough. He put a lot of work into making everything work. I know the icons and stuff are all just tiffs, but still, it is more throrough than any theme i have seen thus far.

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Apr 12, 2001, 03:53 PM

themexican's website is located at: www.teamdraw.com/raul

Nothing on themes so far; they'll be posted up when they're finished, I imagine, but I bet he'll make a thread here as well to notify everyone.

------------------
the oddball newsletter
------------------
it's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

crazyjohnson
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 12, 2001, 04:00 PM

Its coming soon. Part of the problem now is a legal way of installing it. themexican is not a programmer . . .

------------------
Like the band TOOL? Want to stay up to date? Want to be sent news updates? Send an e-mail to [email protected] and put "subscribe" (without the
quotes) in the subject line of the email.
Change your world and you will change your mind.

OoklaTheMok
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 12, 2001, 04:25 PM

yeah, themexican wants to be all on the up and up about it, so I don't think he will release until he's sure it's legal. In which case, Synotic, go for it now! But don't put it on your idisk...that's a good way to get your mac.com account deleted!

theoden
Apr 12, 2001, 11:51 PM

Originally posted by sjendras:
Akio's graphite theme was written for Public Beta. Given the changes to Aqua (extra.rsrc) since then, I'm not sure it will work at all.

sj

[This message has been edited by sjendras (edited 04-12-2001).]
Actually, looking at the screenshots for the Unlined Charcoal Theme (Aiko's?) it shows an about this Mac window which displays 4k78, the 1.0 build #. Also things like the toolbar widget and dock pinning is displayed.

I haven't tried installing it yet. I'll get around to it sometime tomorrow and let you all know if I run into any troubles with the installer.

-theo

zeebe  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 13, 2001, 08:36 AM

Originally posted by theoden:
Actually, looking at the screenshots for the Unlined Charcoal Theme (Aiko's?) it shows an about this Mac window which displays 4k78, the 1.0 build #. Also things like the toolbar widget and dock pinning is displayed.

I haven't tried installing it yet. I'll get around to it sometime tomorrow and let you all know if I run into any troubles with the installer.

-theo
Unlined Charcoal I don't think is Aiko's Graphite theme. Unlined Charcoal works really good for me. I just wish the close window buttons were different.

King Kong
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 13, 2001, 09:05 AM

I emailed themexican with some theme questions this morning and he told me that he's working with a new theme editing program called Sprocket. This is from his return email:

"Sprocket is a very cool program that makes OS X skin editing with photoshop very easy. The guy who's writing Sprocket is doing great work (big progress in every build) and in it's current form it is simple to use and very stable...you can even use it within X. Sprocket doesn't attempt to be all inclusive (in the way theminator did), but in most cases this doesn't matter. Skin editing is a simple matter of cut and paste. The best "feature" is that it doesn't crash all the time the way Theminator did. Sprocket should be available for everyone very soon and best of all, it will be open source so that it can be improved. When sprocket comes out, whether my platinum stuff is finished or not, I will release all the pxm#s, I've created and then you will have an easy way to plug them into any theme you want. It will be really easy to switch out specific parts (window headers for example, or the menu bar), The only problems are with the X theme definition itself (until someone figures out the layo resource, all we will have are skins and there are limits to what can be done using the current parts in their current sizes). If you are interested in creating a theme I'd recommend taking a screenshot of an enabled window full of Aqua parts and a disabled window full of the same parts. Then draw your skin on another layer over Aqua, keeping the same basic shapes/sizes. (most parts only have 2 or three pixels of wiggle room). Then when you get sprocket you can simply "pick off" the proper parts..."

Sounds great to me! I can't wait. Theminator is has been killing me.

sjendras
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 13, 2001, 11:02 AM

Originally posted by theoden:

-theo
Unlined Charcoal I don't think is Aiko's Graphite theme. Unlined Charcoal works really good for me. I just wish the close window buttons were different.

This is correct- Unlined Charcoal is NOT Akio's graphite theme. The graphite theme was not platinum like at all. It was a darker, more grey interpretation of Aqua. It was very nice, but I only used it for a while (when I was running PB), but I deleted it when I intizialized my OS X partition for Final.

sj

theoden
Apr 13, 2001, 12:19 PM

Alrighty. Thanks for clearing that up. (Don't I feel dumb now )
If anyone knows any other resources for different OS X themes/projects, I'd love to hear more about them!

-theo

Synotic
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2001, 02:53 PM

Originally posted by King Kong:
I emailed themexican with some theme questions this morning and he told me that he's working with a new theme editing program called Sprocket. This is from his return email:

"Sprocket is a very cool program that makes OS X skin editing with photoshop very easy. The guy who's writing Sprocket is doing great work (big progress in every build) and in it's current form it is simple to use and very stable...you can even use it within X. Sprocket doesn't attempt to be all inclusive (in the way theminator did), but in most cases this doesn't matter. Skin editing is a simple matter of cut and paste. The best "feature" is that it doesn't crash all the time the way Theminator did. Sprocket should be available for everyone very soon and best of all, it will be open source so that it can be improved. When sprocket comes out, whether my platinum stuff is finished or not, I will release all the pxm#s, I've created and then you will have an easy way to plug them into any theme you want. It will be really easy to switch out specific parts (window headers for example, or the menu bar), The only problems are with the X theme definition itself (until someone figures out the layo resource, all we will have are skins and there are limits to what can be done using the current parts in their current sizes). If you are interested in creating a theme I'd recommend taking a screenshot of an enabled window full of Aqua parts and a disabled window full of the same parts. Then draw your skin on another layer over Aqua, keeping the same basic shapes/sizes. (most parts only have 2 or three pixels of wiggle room). Then when you get sprocket you can simply "pick off" the proper parts..."

Sounds great to me! I can't wait. Theminator has been killing me.
Well.... I have sprocket and it has a great GUI. Everything looks nice. All of the parts of the picture are all in one part. The only thing is wrong, is that when I paste, it crashes or freezes. Ummm... okay. Also without the indivdual frames and masks you can't tell what stuff are sometimes. Also you don't really know what your limit is for drawing space. Even if this crashing bug has been fixed, it'll need alot more features such as individual image editing. Also, something that makes Theminator so great is that it is AppleScript compatible. Everything can be automated, unlike Sprocket. I really wish Theminator wasn't banned. With a few adjustments. IMHO, it would have been the best. Anyways, I guess it is just a matter of preference. But for now Sprocket just isn't for me.

anony_13
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 13, 2001, 02:59 PM

Where can I get sprocket? Is it shareware/freeware, or what package is it installed with?
Download link?

Synotic
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2001, 10:16 PM

It hasn't been released yet.

Forum Links
Forum Rules