Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Looking for promotion in my job...they're hiring, i want the position..help!

Looking for promotion in my job...they're hiring, i want the position..help!
SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2004, 08:55 PM

So i work in a retail store (petco to be exact) i've been there since January 2004 and i really enjoy it. I have been told numberous times that i'm one of their best employees who can perform ANYTHINg they ask of me...stock, registers etc.

But recently one of our team leaders (hourly managers) left and i am really interested in taking over where he left off. My only fear is my boss won't go for it because I'm young (21 to be exact) the old Team Leader who left was 22...but whatever here nor there. So the team leader who i'm good friends with told me i should go for it, and I would be a great addition, i have ALSO been told this by afew associates.

Anyway, how do i go about asking for this? I plan to talk to him next time I work Tuesday and tell him that i'm willing to go BACK to full time (i just dropped down to part time) and would be more then willing to work nights since thats when none of the current managers want to work.

Any tips? suggestions? ideas?
thanks!

FulcrumPilot
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2004, 08:57 PM

Originally posted by SOLIDAge:
I have been told numberous times that i'm one of their best employees who can perform ANYTHINg they ask of me

Quit asap!! You are overqualified for that place.
_,.
a solitary firefly flies at nite
into the darkness an endless flight
a million flashes of delight.

phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2004, 09:28 PM

apply!!! the worst thing that can happen is you dont get the job and you leave them with the impression that you want to go farther in the company...

Zach

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Oct 17, 2004, 09:36 PM

Originally posted by SOLIDAge:
I plan to talk to him next time I work Tuesday and tell him that i'm willing to go BACK to full time (i just dropped down to part time) and would be more then willing to work nights since thats when none of the current managers want to work.

This is the right thing to do. The most important thing is just to let them know you're interested and then to ask what you can do to get the position.

SOLIDAge  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2004, 09:44 PM

well i forgot to mention that i DID leave the store for 2 months for another job, and they were quick to hire me back.

anyway, when re-applying he asked me what job i was applying for...I listed the usual positions but also said "TEAM LEADER" and i can't remmeber...but i do believe i vocally expressed it...and he didn't say much...but i will bring it up tomorrow.

macroy
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2004, 07:46 AM

I have to agree with phantomdragonz - go for it, if you don't get it, no harm done. What you may want to do is talk to your friend who's already a team leader, find out if there are any specific qualifications/skills they look for in this position. When you go in to talk, you can tailor to those skills.

And if for some reason you are passed up - find out why. Sometimes you can make a case for yourself and change their mind. But make sure it's done appropriately - You don't want to come off as whiney and bitter.

As for overqualified - perhaps you are... but if you're happy working there, who cares.

Ham Sandwich
Oct 18, 2004, 10:08 AM

Leave and stop breaking your back for such an awful place.

Petco

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 18, 2004, 10:51 AM

Originally posted by screamingFit:

Petco
whoa

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Oct 18, 2004, 11:51 AM

Just ask for the job.

Seriously. That's how 90% of all promotions are done.

Show an interest in doing it - and it puts you ahead of everyone else that doesn't show an interest.

The same holds true for finding a job. Even if you aren't completely qualified to do the job, it never hurts to ask. I've watched my sister land jobs well outside her experience level - merely because nobody else bothered to apply.

vivamisha
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 18, 2004, 12:45 PM

Originally posted by screamingFit:

Petco
I was thinking the same thing.

Forum Links
Forum Rules