Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > clicky keyboards are our friend

clicky keyboards are our friend
Rivak
Forum Regular
May 4, 2000, 12:03 AM

Where have all the good keyboards gone?

As a long time computer user I remember the good old days when keys traveled further than 5 millimeters and 'tactile response' meant a nice loud click, not an inaudible tapping sound. What has happened? Personally I prefer clicky keyboards to the standard soft touch ones. When I got my G3 I immediately replaced the mouse and keyboard out of just plain necessity. I NEEDED a full-size keyboard and 2-button mouse. I ended up with the macally iKey in hopes that it would be a little more my taste. Unfortunately the rubber membrane seems to be getting tired and I�m losing my response. My hunt for a clicky keyboard is still on and I appreciate if anybody can suggest some. At one point I was ready to buy a USB � PS2 adapter so that I could use an old Sega Saturn keyboard (which has the perfect click btw) but I already have enough USB problems as it is so I�d rather not shoot myself in the foot that way. I�m assuming that since ADB is fairly old that�s where I�ll come across some of the best candidates.

If anyone out there shares my keyboard preference and knows of some good ones, I would appreciate some information.

Misha
Professional Poster
May 4, 2000, 07:47 AM

The Apple Extended Keyboard II is far and away the best I've used. The regular Apple Keyboard (platinum colored, came out with the Classic, I believe) is also a very nice, compact keyboard.

Apple's USB keyboard is horrible.

Same deal with PowerBooks... they keyboards were much better back in the 1400 era when they could travel more than a few mm and didn't feel all flimsy.

bsm128
May 4, 2000, 04:07 PM

I have a very loud and clicky keyboard and hate it! I'd much rather it be quiet myself. It's name on the back is "AppleDesign" and it's the extended version.

Cipher13
May 5, 2000, 03:21 AM

I love my old black Apple Extended Keyboard (ADB), and I miss it. I'm going to get one of those coloured keyboards that have the ice colour at the bottom and the colour at the top - they're about $80 wher I get them. It is incredibly 'clicky', and thats what I'm after! I'll have a look for the brand (which I can't remember off hand) and post it here for you incase you want to check it out.
BTW its a 105 key keyboard, in the classic extended setup.

Cipher13

Rivak  (op)
Forum Regular
May 5, 2000, 09:41 AM

You might be thinking of the Micro Connectors USB keyboard I have also heard that these are clicky (although it says that the keys are "quiet and soft")

If this is not what you're thinking of, please tell me what you are cause clicky keyboards are hard to find

[This message has been edited by Rivak (edited 05-05-2000).]

Forum Links
Forum Rules