Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > just ordered verizon DSL!

just ordered verizon DSL!
suprz's ghost
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 30, 2005, 02:10 PM

I just ordered the verizon dsl deal for 14.95 per month with a free modem. (yeah right, $20.00$ shipping charge) and even though it is the slowest connection speed the have, it should be ALOT faster than the 56k dial up i've been using for the past 5 years......

Anyways, they told me to just put in the installation disk, and it will walk me through installing whatever it is i need. BUT, I dont believe them......Do i really have to use the CD? I dont want to install alot of crap i dont need...

Oh, by the way it will be used on a Imac dv+ 450mhz OSX 10.3 196mb of ram
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds"...Albert Einstein

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Aug 30, 2005, 06:53 PM

You are correct in suspecting their install disc.

As long as you have your login name and password, you don't need to use their crap.

You have two options:

1. use a router, into which you can program the PPPoE login
2. use Mac OS X's own PPPoE client (Internet Connect)

The first option is nice because your Mac doesn't have to be involved in the connection, and it makes it easy if anyone else comes over with a laptop.

The second option, well... it's free. (Mind you, CompUSA has a router on sale now for $10, so money is a minor excuse at best )

Oh, and you should really get more RAM for your iMac -- you will see a massive speedup by going to 512MB or more.

tooki

suprz's ghost  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 31, 2005, 09:14 AM

thanks for the info tooki. I figured there would be alot on the disc i didnt want in my system. now if i knew what you where talking about......."PPoE"?

I do have a laptop so maybe the 10.00$ router would be a good thing to get.....
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds"...Albert Einstein

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2005, 09:24 AM

PPPoE = PPP over Ethernet. It's just the protocol that many DSL providers use to grant you access to their network.

At one time, configuring PPPoE was a pain but now that there are so many DSL installations support is much better in Mac OS X, Windows, and in these little router thingys.

A router is a good idea to get anyway, because most routers are also pretty decent firewalls. OS X has a good built-in firewall, but you're better off blocking bad stuff in one place (at the router).

And get more RAM if you can. OS X (and safari in particular) will use all the RAM you can throw at it.

I'm going to test out DSL in my area, too, since our cable modem has been getting slower and slower. And the fastest DSL we can get is supposed to be faster than the cable, and a lot cheaper if we sign a 2 year contract....

Member of the the Stupid Brigade! (If you see Sponsored Links in any of my posts, please PM me!)

suprz's ghost  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 31, 2005, 01:09 PM

does anyone know what the verizon dsl modem looks like? i was just wondering

Tee
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 6, 2005, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by suprz's ghost
does anyone know what the verizon dsl modem looks like? i was just wondering
I think it might actually be a combo device that has the DSL modem and a wireless access point. I'm not sure about that though...

I would be interested to hear about your experiences with doing the self-install.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Sep 6, 2005, 09:08 PM

Verizon, like every broadband provider I've ever seen, uses a smattering of different modem models. I can only guess that they buy whatever brand is cheapest that day. That said, Verizon does seem to rely heavily on Westell models. Look on eBay for examples.

tooki

suprz's ghost  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 7, 2005, 12:33 PM

well i just got my modem, it's a westel

Tee
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 7, 2005, 02:36 PM

well i just got my modem, it's a westel
Let us know how the self-install goes!

suprz's ghost  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 7, 2005, 02:54 PM

well, according to a friend and tooki, i shouldnt even have to use the cd, i'm gonna plug in the modem and the ethernet and go to network preferences and click ethernet and see what i get

at least i think that's how it should work

oh and no, it isnt a wireless one....... but they are all over ebay for around 20$
( Last edited by suprz's ghost; Sep 7, 2005 at 03:00 PM. )

Tee
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 7, 2005, 03:04 PM

I think you will probably need to enter a PPPoE username/password into Network Prefs-Ethernet-PPPoE

suprz's ghost  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 7, 2005, 03:18 PM

well, just for the heck of it, i called verizons dsl support and spoke to someone and lied and said i lost the cd and if there was anything on it i needed, they told me it was just a cd showing how to hook up the wires and nothing else. so i dont know...... i dont think i need and password to log onto the dsl itself, it should already be on the phone line and just needs the modem to link it to the computer..........i hope

i will log back on after i try it and let you know

suprz's ghost  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 7, 2005, 05:17 PM

well, i'm on it, and no i couldnt use it unless i inserted the cd, (of course i probably did something wrong) but it works, and i guess it's faster than dial up

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 7, 2005, 05:46 PM

New installs generally are "ramped up" from a very conservative (and slow) speed to whate the physical wires will support--and then backed off just a bit. It often takes as much as two weeks to even a month to get the speed you're going to settle at, so be patient. With SBC's DSL you start out at something like 256kbps downstream, which ain't too shabby when compared to dialup. I'm currently running at about 3Mbps downstream on my SBC DSL line... It's worth the wait. OH BOY is it worth the wait.

The CD probably sent some traffic to the modem to configure it. Which model of Westell modem did you get? Most of the current ones are configurable through a browser interface if the ISP hasn't locked them against that. This interface can at least tell you what's going on with your connection, even if you don't play with the settings.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Tee
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 7, 2005, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
New installs generally are "ramped up" from a very conservative (and slow) speed to whate the physical wires will support--and then backed off just a bit. It often takes as much as two weeks to even a month to get the speed you're going to settle at, so be patient. With SBC's DSL you start out at something like 256kbps downstream, which ain't too shabby when compared to dialup. I'm currently running at about 3Mbps downstream on my SBC DSL line... It's worth the wait. OH BOY is it worth the wait.
Glad to see you're up and running, suprz's ghost!
I think he got the $14.95 amonth Verizon offer, which is 768down/128up. That should be pretty nice, but it probably won't ramp up to 3Mbps...

The CD probably sent some traffic to the modem to configure it. Which model of Westell modem did you get? Most of the current ones are configurable through a browser interface if the ISP hasn't locked them against that. This interface can at least tell you what's going on with your connection, even if you don't play with the settings.
Tell us more about the set-up process.(ifr you don't mind)
Did you need to create an account using the Verizon software and then enter that info into the PPPoE part of the Network Preferences settings?

suprz's ghost  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 8, 2005, 02:17 AM

the set up was basically hook all the wires up and then insert the cd. it takes you to the verizon website and makes you set up an acct. and yes it did install some addresses etc into the network settings. because before i installed the cd i could not connect to the internet, if i open internet connect it is set up for "built in ethernet"
"service provider" Verizon
my user name
my password
IP address-----

the modem is a westell model 6100
what's strange is it has lights for dsl, usb. ethernet, power and internet and even though i'm on the internet, the only lights that are lit are "power" ethernet" and dsl but no internet light

but anyways, it works and is faster than dial up.....i am going to power it down an dlet it sit while i'm at work to see what happens

Tee
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 8, 2005, 11:02 PM

Your connection is 'always on' right? Or do you need to sign-on using Internet Connect?

Also, you should do a speed test to get a sense of what kind of speed you are actually getting on the connection.

http://www.dslreports.com/stest

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Sep 9, 2005, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter
Weird. My Speakeasy.net DSL (like the Concentric/XO DSL I had before -- both are Covad-based) got its first speed test by the installer. You get the full rated speed as soon as the modem is plugged in.

tooki

suprz's ghost  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 9, 2005, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Tee
Your connection is 'always on' right? Or do you need to sign-on using Internet Connect?

Also, you should do a speed test to get a sense of what kind of speed you are actually getting on the connection.

http://www.dslreports.com/stest
i have to open internet connect and hit "connect"

how do i do a test?

Tee
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 9, 2005, 02:01 PM

i have to open internet connect and hit "connect"

how do i do a test?
Go to http://www.dslreports.com/stest and click on one of the test servers where it says, "Test Speed using our server at..."

Wait for the Java applet to load and then click it to start to stat the speed test.

Post your results here!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules