Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > itunes 2 not as good as 1.1?

itunes 2 not as good as 1.1?
PeteL999
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 5, 2001, 06:49 PM

anyone else have a problem with the sound not being as good in itunes 2.0 (os 9 version) as it was in 1.1? Maybe its just me but it sounds scratchy and the bass is distorted...i tried various equalizer settings and with the equalizer off
Are you or are you not the black angel of death

cdhostage
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2001, 06:57 PM

So far, iTunes 2 has been excellent for me. I switched up from SoundJam 2.5.3 and haven't noticed any loss in sound quality.
Actual conversation between UCLA and Stanford during a login on early Internet - U: I'm going to type an L! Did you get an L? S: I got one-one-four. L! U:Did you get the O? S: One-one-seven. U: <types G> S: The computer just crashed.

bugs
Forum Regular
Nov 5, 2001, 07:23 PM

Sounds better to me but has lots (LOTS!) of bugs. Sound stops at times for no reason (timer keeps running). If I restart the tune it runs for another 5 minutes or so.

many other bugs
iMac 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo 6GB, OS 10.6.8
Macbook Pro 2.2GHz Core i7 8GB. OS 10.6.8
iPhone 3GS 32GB, OS 5 / TiBook / Newton (2)

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Nov 5, 2001, 08:17 PM

it's A LOT better.
what you need to do (probably, made a HUGE difference for me), is th BACK THE ENHANCER down a bit, left-of-center.
the default (center, on) overloads the output.
move it a bit to the left, then compare with it off (ala itunes 1.) & on...
much better!
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

<jeff>
Nov 5, 2001, 09:05 PM

that is right... the sound "enhancer" makes it sound like shizat. as long as it's above the middle mark. take it below there or turn it off completely like i did and it should be just like 1.1

jeff

bugs
Forum Regular
Nov 6, 2001, 01:10 AM

Originally posted by &lt;jeff&gt;:
<STRONG>or turn it off completely like i did and it should be just like 1.1

jeff</STRONG>

That reduces the frequency of the problem somewhat. Still had to restart the sound 4 times during a 25 minute concerto.

OverclockedHomoSapien
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 6, 2001, 11:23 AM

It's stable using 9.2.1 for me.

I love the EQ, and the sound enhancer is nice sometimes. Finally, iTunes is everything that SoundJam was. Now Apple just needs to make it better than SoundJam was. They can start by decreasing the processor load and getting rid of skips.
[FONT="book antiqua"]"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."
- Thomas Jefferson, 1816.[/FONT]

Fredo
Senior User
Nov 6, 2001, 01:24 PM

Hey Bugs:
Try giving iTunes more memory, (I assume you're running OS 9x).
Highlight the app, not an alias, key command-i, find "memory" in the "show" window, give both "minimum" and "preferred" twice or three times the "suggested" amount.
Good luck.
Who are the Brain Police?

bugs
Forum Regular
Nov 7, 2001, 02:32 PM

Thanks Fredo. I gave it 15Megs but it still acts up. Turned off the sound enhancer, still misbehaves.

On the bright side it doesn't cause system crashes like the old version did.

SkiBikeSki
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 7, 2001, 05:01 PM

Originally posted by OverclockedHomoSapien:
<STRONG>It's stable using 9.2.1 for me.

Finally, iTunes is everything that SoundJam was. Now Apple just needs to make it better than SoundJam was. They can start by decreasing the processor load and getting rid of skips.</STRONG>
I agree for the most part, but iTunes 2 is still a small disappointment. Just look at the advances that iMovie 2 or iDVD 2 made from their predecesors. I was hoping that iTunes 2 would have made a similar huge leap forward.

There are still a few things that SoundJam MP has the iTunes 2 doesn't. I notice that it still only plays 1 visual plugin, that needs to be fixed. It also doesn't allow you to sacrifice a little bit of quality to increase the encoding speed. Finally, SoundJam had skins, not that the iTunes interface is bad, but it would be nice to use something else once and a while.
-- SBS --

Forum Links
Forum Rules