Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > My G4 PowerBook owns your MacBook Pro

My G4 PowerBook owns your MacBook Pro
anonymac
Baninated
Mar 11, 2007, 02:44 AM

My PowerBook G4 made in 2005 is still better than the new MacBook Pros. Thinner, no camera staring me down, and I can run every Macintosh app ever created. Try not to cry too much on your MacBook Pro.

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 11, 2007, 02:57 AM

Bah.

How thin is your Powerbook, anyway?

stwain2003
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 11, 2007, 03:10 AM

Try and run CoreDuoTemp. HA!
8GB iPhone
Coming Soon: Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz

EdipisReks
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 11, 2007, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by anonymac View Post
My PowerBook G4 made in 2005 is still better than the new MacBook Pros. Thinner, no camera staring me down, and I can run every Macintosh app ever created. Try not to cry too much on your MacBook Pro.
for one thing, the aluminum powerbooks aren't thinner than the MacBook Pros. the 15" MBP is thinner than the 15" PB, and the 17" models are both the same thickness. i owned a 1 GHz TiBook, a 1.25 GHz AlBook anda 1.5 GHz AlBook, and my current C2D MBP is by far the best Apple portable i've owned.
20" iMac/2.4 C2D/4GB RAM/320 HD + ViewSonic VX2025WM
13" MBP/2.26 C2D/4GB RAM/250 HD
16 GB iPhone

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2007, 10:45 AM

don't trolls get bigger as you feed them more responses??

it would be hard to imagine a g4 powerbook 'owning' an mbp
(altho i personally prefer my 12" 1.5 g4)

yikes i'm responding to this as well...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 11, 2007, 05:54 PM

Despite the somewhat provocative tone of the post, it poses an interesting question for me. My PB 15" G4 1.33 is approaching the end of its Applecare warranty. I would like to sell it (always easier to sell something still under warranty), and get a replacement. The 17" G4s are selling at a great price, $1,594. I use my laptop only on trips, and don't run anything processor intensive, just Word, InDesign, BBEdit, Entourage and the browsers. In addition my main machine is a dual G5, which runs everything I could possibly want just great. Given that the Intel MBP does not work with PPC formatted backup drives, what reason would there be to get one of those as opposed to the 17"G4?

Thanks for your input

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2007, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by jmiddel View Post
Despite the somewhat provocative tone of the post, it poses an interesting question for me. My PB 15" G4 1.33 is approaching the end of its Applecare warranty. I would like to sell it (always easier to sell something still under warranty), and get a replacement. The 17" G4s are selling at a great price, $1,594. I use my laptop only on trips, and don't run anything processor intensive, just Word, InDesign, BBEdit, Entourage and the browsers. In addition my main machine is a dual G5, which runs everything I could possibly want just great. Given that the Intel MBP does not work with PPC formatted backup drives, what reason would there be to get one of those as opposed to the 17"G4?

Thanks for your input
anything you have on a backup drive from your PB will copy over to the mbp, and the mbp can certainly read & write to an external drive created on a powerbook...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

alain_30_alain
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 11, 2007, 09:25 PM

MacBook Pros owns PowerBook G4s. Period.
alain.
 MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo
 20-inch Cinema Display
 iPod Shuffle 512MB
 iPod Video 30GB

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2007, 04:45 PM

anony is a one-time troll, don't waste your typing.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 12, 2007, 04:52 PM

I could see why you would love having a huge FireWire webcam instead of a tiny built in one.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2007, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by jmiddel View Post
...My PB 15" G4 1.33 is approaching the end of its Applecare warranty. I would like to sell it... The 17" G4s are selling at a great price, $1,594. I use my laptop only on trips, and don't run anything processor intensive... In addition my main machine is a dual G5, which runs everything I could possibly want just great...
I own a 15" 1.67 GHz PB G4 and a 17" C2D MBP and still consider the G4 a fine laptop except for heavy graphics users like me. For your described needs I cannot see why you would sell the 15" G4 PB at all unless you get an unusually good selling price and/or really want a 17" box.

-Allen Wicks

goMac
Posting Junkie
Mar 12, 2007, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by anonymac View Post
My Macbook Pro is faster.

There, I win.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

jtrwallace
Mar 16, 2007, 06:22 AM

yeah i have to say, even though i have a powerbook 15", i would love to have a MBP. but, im not sweating it, my PB is only 1.25 years old and it still works like a rockstar. I won't be upgrading till i know it will have leopard and that new robson technology. basically... if it doesnt have some fantastic new element I wont get it. Also... the style has stayed the same forever... maybe soon it will be different

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 16, 2007, 11:32 AM

The whole idea of one machine 'owning' the other is just bait for flamewars. The suitability of different machines for different users depends much on their tasks and a multitude of other factors. While the MBP might own the PB on most speed tests, the PB definitely owns the MBP on number of internal modems.

Forum Links
Forum Rules