Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Help: eMac OS 9 Restore

Help: eMac OS 9 Restore
quicksilverG4
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 5, 2008, 05:37 PM

I've got a 1 GHz/133 MHz FSB eMac. I bought it specifically so that I could use X and 9. It's been happily running 10.4 for awhile now and I just bought OS 9 restore CDs.

There's 3 CDs. I put #1 in and the Software Restore program installs on the hard drive in the OS X Applications/Utilities folder. Software Restore runs automatically or I can run it later off the hard drive.

When it starts it asks for a CD. Instead of saying CD 1, 2, etc it shows a pic of the disc with a dot and then a single larger dot with a hole in it next to it. CD 1 (which is labeled eMac Software Restore 1 of 3) has that symbol (CD 2 has two dots with holes, CD 3 has three). I don't know why it doesn't just say CD 1 but whatever. The problem is that CD is already in the drive. And ejecting and re-inserting doesn't do anything.

The disc doesn't seem to be damaged. It installed Software Restore to the hard drive OK.

These are non-bootable restore discs so I can't restart using them.

I'm totally stumped. I'm running 10.4.11. It would be extremely stupid if I have to drop back to the original eMac version of X to do this install. These discs are 9 only and the installer clearly states they have nothing to do with X.

Any ideas???

dowNNshift
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 6, 2008, 02:12 AM

I guess I'm confused as to where you got these discs from since they're not bootable and that there are three of them. Typically OS 9 is contained on a single bootable disc.

Do you have OS 9 drivers installed on your hard disk? Apple has a couple pages that I quickly found in their knowledge base that might set you in the right direction:

Macintosh: Some Computers Only Start Up in Mac OS X
Mac OS X: Reinstalling Mac OS 9 or recovering from a software restore
Mac OS X 10.4 Help: Installing a Mac OS 9 System Folder to use with the Classic environment
Mac OS X 10.4 Help: I can't start up in Mac OS 9

quicksilverG4  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 6, 2008, 02:43 AM

I found out how to make all the files visible on the discs and was able to copy OS9General.dmg off disc 2. The other discs contain apps - which I could care less about at this point.

After a lot of nonsense I found out that I DO have to downgrade to 10.2 and that I have to wipe my drive to do it. Not having an easy way to backup my files at this point OR a copy of 10.2 I guess I'll have to settle for Classic for now (open OS9General.dmg and copy to hard drive).

Forum Links
Forum Rules