Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MBP Latch Problems?

View Poll Results: Have you had any problems with your MBP's latch?
Poll Options:
Yes, I've had trouble with my latch 1 votes (7.69%)
Nope, no problems at all! 12 votes (92.31%)
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll
MBP Latch Problems?
BoingoBongo
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 19, 2008, 10:58 PM

As some of you might know, I'm seriously considering buying a MacBook Pro. I really like everything about the computer, but I'm concerned about the latch. I've read about problems that people have been having with broken and malfunctioning latches. It might seem minor, but if I'm going to spend a ton of money on a new computer, I don't want to have problems with sometihng as basic as a latch.

So, if you wouldn't mind telling me how long you've had your MacBook Pro's for and whether or not you've had any latch problems, that would be great. Thanks!

Cold Warrior
Mar 19, 2008, 10:59 PM

Had mine (in signature) since October 2006. No problems (knock on wood).

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Mar 20, 2008, 07:12 AM

No problems with my June 07 MBP. Works as designed.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 20, 2008, 08:22 AM

Late 06 (August?) and never a hint of a problem. I've also NEVER heard a single word about latch problems anywhere.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

tridentinecanon
Mar 20, 2008, 09:30 AM

I recall,back when they first designed this latch, that it was designed to withstand and avoid problems.

If purchasing a MBP, or any Apple product for that matter, regardless of the durability of the latch, I'd get AppleCare.

cutlassvillager
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2008, 09:50 AM

I have a first gen MBP and you have to really push the latch in far to get the computer to open. It has been like that since it was new. Other than that I haven't had any problems.
Quicksilver G4 NewerTech 1.6 GHz | 1.5 GB RAM | 500/160/40GB Internal HDs | Radeon 9800 Pro | 10.5.8
MacBook Pro 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo | 2GB RAM | 320 GB WD Scorpio Black | 10.6.2/Windows 7 Professional | 22" LCD

BoingoBongo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 20, 2008, 10:47 AM

This is good to hear. What I've heard is that sometimes one or both of the little latches near the screen will develop problems holding the case shut. I noticed the display unit at Best Buy seems to have trouble staying shut tightly on the right side, and the lid looks warped (although it is a display unit at Best Buy...).

ibook_steve
Mar 20, 2008, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by BoingoBongo View Post
This is good to hear. What I've heard is that sometimes one or both of the little latches near the screen will develop problems holding the case shut. I noticed the display unit at Best Buy seems to have trouble staying shut tightly on the right side, and the lid looks warped (although it is a display unit at Best Buy...).
a) This is Best Buy you're talking about (as you say)

b) This is Best Buy! (see The Consumerist for fun and entertaining BB stories)

c) Way back in the day when the first aluminum PBs were released, there were a few latch problems, but that was fixed *long* ago.

This is really not something to be concerned about when purchasing a brand new MBP.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

EdipisReks
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 20, 2008, 02:40 PM

i have owned a bunch of laptops with the general latch design (tibook, two aluminum PBs and three MBPs), and i've never had an issue with any of the latches. i find the magnetic latch to be extremely elegant.
20" iMac/2.4 C2D/4GB RAM/320 HD + ViewSonic VX2025WM
13" MBP/2.26 C2D/4GB RAM/250 HD
16 GB iPhone

lisa_is_not_mac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2008, 03:05 PM

I don't know why that would happen
MacBook 2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (13-inch White) 111 gb internal,
WD Passport 150 gb & 230 gb. VERBATIM Smartdisk Firelite 111 gb
1st gen iPod Nano White
Bluetooth Mighty Mouse & Keyboard

BoingoBongo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 20, 2008, 03:40 PM

Thanks so much everyone! It's great to hear that the latch is nothing to worry about. I'm just so nervous about spending so much money (something I rarely have) that I want to be sure of what I'm getting.

Forum Links
Forum Rules