Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Rumors

Rumors
xyber233
Mac Elite
May 12, 2001, 01:41 PM

From MOSR
Along with the long-awaited Mac OS X Server 2.0, new PowerMac G4 Servers are expected to be quietly introduced at Apple's Worldwide Developer Conference ten days hence. They will likely be available in 533, Dual 533, and 733MHz configurations with 256, 384, or 512MB of SDRAM.
* The long-rumored revision to the PowerMac G4 2001 line which would include dual-processor versions of the 667 and 733MHz PowerPC 7450-powered high-end models has apparently been held back so long due to issues both with Apple's latest motherboards and the PPC 7450 itself. Reportedly, both are experiencing stability and performance issues in multiprocessor 7450 configurations; this could be related to the quiet rumor that the 7450 is not fully compliant with the MERSI multiprocessing communications standard, despite denials from Motorola sources that this is the case.
* Despite the setbacks, Apple plans to introduce dual-processor 7450-based PowerMacs well before Macworld July, most likely in early June if no new problems are discovered.
* At Macworld New York in July, Apple has placed its bets on the introduction of quad-processor options for at least the PowerPC 7410 (at up to 600MHz), dual processor 7450 configurations up to 866MHz, and single-processor models at 933MHz and 1GHz. With a little luck, Apple will have addressed the multiprocessing issues with the 7450 and could have quad-processors right up to 866MHz.
* Later in the year, most likely at the end of August or early September, the 933MHz and 1GHz PowerMac G4s will go dual-processor and closer to year-end, quad-processor. In early 2002, 1.1-1.3GHz PowerPC 7460 Apollo processors will take over and bring combined processing power of up to 5.2GHz....if we're lucky.
I hope this is true. I sure could use a quad G4 . Which products do you think will come out and which ones do you want?

------------------

Skywalkers new Hand
Grizzled Veteran
May 12, 2001, 03:37 PM

If it comes from MOSR and Ryan it most likely is complete BULL!

------------------

"Wedge, pull out! You're not doing any good back there!"

mac freak
Mac Elite
May 12, 2001, 04:25 PM

Actually, MOSR has been pretty accurate lately.

But this... is...
wishful thinking...

Or maybe not?
I could use a quad 1.3 GHz Apollo G4 next year!

------------------
Be Happy.
Be happy.

Skywalkers new Hand
Grizzled Veteran
May 12, 2001, 07:41 PM

Originally posted by mac freak:
Actually, MOSR has been pretty accurate lately.
Like?

------------------

"Wedge, pull out! You're not doing any good back there!"

zac4mac
Mac Elite
May 13, 2001, 10:08 AM

Enough Ryan bashing already. christ, it's a rumor site.

If they come out with a quad 800, I might have to consider replacing my dual 550.
Should be able to bump an 800 to 850 or 900(or whatever works with the bus speed).
I want more power...

------------------

Cipher13
May 13, 2001, 11:10 AM

Ok, I've said it before, and I'll say it again... one word:

ICICLES!

------------------

AIM: Cipher1387
mail: [email protected]

Jsnuff1
Mac Elite
May 14, 2001, 08:21 AM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
Ok, I've said it before, and I'll say it again... one word:

ICICLES!

i dont get it

Issaco
May 14, 2001, 09:15 AM

"7450 is not fully compliant with the MERSI multiprocessing communications standard, despite denials from Motorola sources that this is the case. "

The Duals will not be 7450s they will be L3 cacheless 7440s

Trust me I know .

Issac

The Ancient One
Mac Enthusiast
May 14, 2001, 11:08 AM

The Duals will not be 7450s they will be L3 cacheless 7440s

Trust me I know .

Issac

And just HOW do you know?

Also, what's the real-world impact of 7440s vs. 7450s?
The first commandment of ALL religions is to provide a comfortable living for the priesthood.

Misha
Professional Poster
May 14, 2001, 12:30 PM

Actually, Cipher, the icicles report was in reference to the designed plastics... you know, flower power, blue dalmatian... he was right on that part...

satchmo
Dedicated MacNNer
May 14, 2001, 01:21 PM

There is a difference between a rumor and pure fabrication.
A rumor is based on information supplied by sources and sightings.

I wonder if MOSR or AppleInsider "rumors" are based on anything other than a wish list of a particular individual or to just stir up the pot.

It's fun to speculate, but as in most cases these sites only leave you disappointed as they hype up things that don't exist.

Cipher13
May 15, 2001, 03:04 AM

Originally posted by Misha:
Actually, Cipher, the icicles report was in reference to the designed plastics... you know, flower power, blue dalmatian... he was right on that part...
It was a joke

It just shows my general attitude towards his credibility (I know, I know, don't tell me "he's been fairly accurate lately")...

------------------

Euro-info
May 15, 2001, 09:10 AM

Just wanted to post something. Have heard from pretty reliable source that here in Europe the new packages have been printed for the newest Mac, and all this person could tell me was that "G4" DOES NOT appear on the package?!
Is there going to be a "G5" on the market inside of five weeks?! Or is somebody playing jokes?!

Was also told that Cube package production has been halted.

SpeedRacer
Senior User
May 15, 2001, 10:07 AM

Actually there's some pretty sweet rumors swirling around on the AppleInsider "Future Hardware" chat forum regarding future PowerMac towers from a reliable source utilizing seeded hardware that i am much more inclined to believe than anything coming out of MOSR.

If you can ever access the boards, it's a pretty good thread - ex: Cube-inspired G4 casings, 900+mHz processors, etc.

MOSR is bunk.

Speed

Macintosh
Banned
May 16, 2001, 07:31 PM

"MOSR is bunk." LOL, my grandfather says that.

SpeedRacer
Senior User
May 16, 2001, 10:49 PM

Originally posted by Macintosh:
"MOSR is bunk." LOL, my grandfather says that.
Well i just got one thing to say... WHO'S YOUR DADDY?!

Speed

iPad
May 16, 2001, 11:03 PM

ru-mor

Unverified information of uncertain origin usually spread by word of mouth; hearsay.

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
May 18, 2001, 07:00 PM

* At Macworld New York in July, Apple has placed its bets on the introduction of quad-processor options for at least the PowerPC 7410 (at up to 600MHz), dual processor 7450 configurations up to 866MHz, and single-processor models at 933MHz and 1GHz. With a little luck, Apple will have addressed the multiprocessing issues with the 7450 and could have quad-processors right up to 866MHz.
Stupid technical question, but what would be the advantage of quad processors? If so many of today's apps don't even take advantage of duals, is there any near-term benefit? Or do apps (and OS X) which do take advantage of dual processors also automatically recognize and utilize quads? (In that case, one would assume that all apps moving to Carbon and Cocoa would work.)

And yikes, but what kind of work are y'all doing that you would use quad 866MHz processors?! I can barely keep up with my DP450!
"I'm an award-winning creative, the rules of society no longer apply to me."

xyber233  (op)
Mac Elite
May 18, 2001, 07:06 PM

Originally posted by BrunoBruin:
Stupid technical question, but what would be the advantage of quad processors? If so many of today's apps don't even take advantage of duals, is there any near-term benefit? Or do apps (and OS X) which do take advantage of dual processors also automatically recognize and utilize quads? (In that case, one would assume that all apps moving to Carbon and Cocoa would work.)

And yikes, but what kind of work are y'all doing that you would use quad 866MHz processors?! I can barely keep up with my DP450!
Mac OS X takes care of it automatically. Programs dont have to be MP aware in OS X. OS 9 is another story .

------------------

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
May 18, 2001, 07:23 PM

Mac OS X takes care of it automatically. Programs dont have to be MP aware in OS X. OS 9 is another story .
Thanks, xyber233, I wondered if that was the case. I assumed that if an app was not MP aware the OS would assign it to one processor and use the other(s) for everything else. Perhaps when a few more of my apps are Carbonized and I don't spend 95 percent of my time in Classic this will make more sense.

Back on the topic, I'm not sure I'm thrilled with the G4 case revision rumors I've been seeing. A Cube-inspired silver case in clear plastic would be nice, but a metal box is so... 8100.
"I'm an award-winning creative, the rules of society no longer apply to me."

rambo47
Mac Elite
May 18, 2001, 08:04 PM

Ha! MOSR is doing some back-pedaling on the thought of quad-processor Power Macs. Today's update seems to say, "Not yet. Problems with the current G4's optimumization as far as MERSI goes." Who gave Meader the reality check?

------------------

thjonas
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 19, 2001, 10:45 PM

Mac OS X takes care of it automatically. Programs don't have to be MP aware in OS X. OS 9 is another story.
Actually applications must be multi-threaded to use two processors at the same time in OS X. Applications that are only one thread can therefore only run on one processor.

[This message has been edited by thjonas (edited 05-19-2001).]

Cipher13
May 20, 2001, 01:59 AM

Originally posted by thjonas:
Actually applications must be multi-threaded to use two processors at the same time in OS X. Applications that are only one thread can therefore only run on one processor.

[This message has been edited by thjonas (edited 05-19-2001).]
No, the environment they run in that allocates processing time is multithreaded so the apps need not worry.

------------------

supernature
Forum Regular
May 21, 2001, 03:03 AM

Speaking of rumors, I heard that there's a shortage of water at Evian.

Anyway, a quad G4? Likely not. I did hear rumors about dual ghz machines to take the spotlight at MacWorld expo. I heard that the popular Photoshop showdown showed that this machine ran as fast as a "5ghz" Pentium 4.

Along the other misguided pipelines is that the Titanium will be bumped up to 733mhz, and a new battery that is supposed to last two hours longer.

Of course, this is what happens when you drink a bottle of Evian water at the Genius bar.

Anyone who actually thought these were even real rumors must have waited too long at the opening of the Apple Store. But, it's not that bad to dream, is it now?

Issaco
May 21, 2001, 09:50 PM

From News.com

The new chip, dubbed PowerPC 7440, was announced along with a flurry of other new
networking-oriented chips at the Motorola semiconductor product sector's Smart Networks
Developers Forum in New Orleans on Monday.

The new PowerPC chip is a lower-power version of the company's PowerPC 7450 processor, now
used in Apple Computer's Macintosh desktops. While Motorola supplies a large number of
processors to Apple, the chipmaker derives the majority of its business from the
networking-equipment market, where its chips are used in a wide range of products.

In addition to being less power
hungry, the new PowerPC 7440
will be physically smaller than
the PowerPC 7450. This will
help the 7440 chip fit better into
the tight confines of networking
equipment, such as network
routers.

The 7440 chip offers lower
voltage--1.5V, versus the 7450's
1.8V--resulting in lower average
power consumption: about 11
watts at 600MHz vs. the 7450's
14 watts at 533MHz. The 7440's
smaller size will come from the
elimination of a level 3 cache,
which Motorola says is not
needed for networking.

Told ya

Issaco
May 21, 2001, 09:52 PM

From News.com

The new chip, dubbed PowerPC 7440, was announced along with a flurry of other new
networking-oriented chips at the Motorola semiconductor product sector's Smart Networks
Developers Forum in New Orleans on Monday.

The new PowerPC chip is a lower-power version of the company's PowerPC 7450 processor, now
used in Apple Computer's Macintosh desktops. While Motorola supplies a large number of
processors to Apple, the chipmaker derives the majority of its business from the
networking-equipment market, where its chips are used in a wide range of products.

In addition to being less power
hungry, the new PowerPC 7440
will be physically smaller than
the PowerPC 7450. This will
help the 7440 chip fit better into
the tight confines of networking
equipment, such as network
routers.

The 7440 chip offers lower
voltage--1.5V, versus the 7450's
1.8V--resulting in lower average
power consumption: about 11
watts at 600MHz vs. the 7450's
14 watts at 533MHz. The 7440's
smaller size will come from the
elimination of a level 3 cache,
which Motorola says is not
needed for networking.

Told ya

tmornini
May 23, 2001, 01:30 PM

Originally posted by xyber233:
This is not true. Here's the MP situation is OS X.

Processes (applications) are spread amongst the processors, as are threads.

If a single application is not threaded, it will use, at most, a single processor. HOWEVER, it still might perform better than a similar app on OS 9, because low-level system processes (Darwin) can be handled by another processor, allowing the application to truly use an entire processor, not share it with system processes.

Also, multiple processor typically equals larger caches (1 for each processor). If Darwin currently uses processor affinity, then you can get
some huge speed improvements if you get into a situation where the cache is exhausted on a single processor system due to task switching amongst apps and Darwin. With MP systems and processor affinity, more critical code can stay in the cache.

There are real world examples of Linux MP systems performing better than 2x due to this situation.
--
-- Tom Mornini

real
Grizzled Veteran
May 24, 2001, 05:56 AM

it good that we all get so excited about new machines. That whats so cool about the mac. My friend has a PC And he hates to upgrade his machine. HArdware problems stuff not working right. I know it does happen with apple but we dont get bumed out by it we know it fixable. All I can say is what ever comes out at MWNY is going to be great as for evian I dont know I could careless I dont drink it. Why can't the the mac rumors be as true to to say the gas prices in the U.S. every night on the news A new rumor gas prices to go up. ^%&$#$!. And they Do!
Oh well I stil love apple.
With some loud music + a friend to chat nearby you can get alot done. - but jezz, I'd avoid it if I had the choice---- If only real people came with Alpha Channels.......:)
AIM:xflaer
deinterlaced.com

Forum Links
Forum Rules